National CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > National CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default National CCW

I apologize up front if this has been posted (I tried searching, but got nothing), or if it's out of date. I have been researching various CCW topics over the past couple days. Everything from laws to carry gear. I got curious and searched "national CCW" and found out that this is, apparently, in the works and that it passed the House Commitee already and moving on. The article was dated a year ago. Has there been any updates on this subject?

Here's the article:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/10/foghorn/national-ccw-reciprocity-bill-passes-house-committee/

-Carl-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

We did have several threads on it. I hope that someone more search savvy than I will be able to link one in for ya.

And I don't even remember the outcome of it.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

This is the second time in recent years that the Senate has had a Reciprocity bill in front of it.
The last time it failed to pass by 1 vote, and both of my Wash. State Democratic Senators, Murray and Cantwell(I won't tell you what I call them) voted against it.

The main problem is that states have differing views on training requirements for issuing CC permits, which crimes are grounds for refusal and whether they shall or may issue.
If the state AGs would just get together and hammer out a compromise, we could go around D.C. and have reciprocity in most states without them.

I have high hopes that this bill will pass as it has more Bi-Partisan support than last time, but the Libtard-Anti-Gun(LAGs) crowd is strong in the Senate.

Last edited by Coyotenator; 10-26-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Found additional info

Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Here's one of the threads on it...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/national-right-carry-reciprocity-act-2012-a-60274/

The search feature on here leaves a lot to be desired, no biggie though...

Another member (who I'd credit for the idea if I could remember who...) googles the topic followed by the forum name...

IE- national reciprocity/firearmstalk forum...That thread came right up...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I tried to post the info on the bill, but it didn't come through.
You can find the links to the bill and to your Senators Web-Sites at the NRA Web-Site.

Last edited by Coyotenator; 10-26-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #6

Liked 512 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 236

I wouldn't get too excited about passing a bill for nationwide carry anytime soon, even if Obama is gone. It took very many years for HR218 to be passed, which allows active and retired members in LE to carry concealed nationwide. That bill was sponsored by the Fraternal Order Police(FOP), which had much political clout and it still took a long time to pass. Depending on which dept you retired from it's still in the process of being tweaked and getting them to comply has been a problem.

Whatever they pass, if they ever pass anything, won't be a simple thing to abide by if HR218 is any example. We're required to apply for and re-qualify each year at a range and pay a fee for the privilege of carrying nationwide. I always believed that this should be extended to all qualified citizens. Unfortunately Vermont, which has no licensing will probably have their usual problems, but all states should interpret the 2nd Amendment like Vermont.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm not holding my breath or anything, but it would be nice. As far as the training requirements from state to state, this would actually mean that there would prolly be a nation wide standard on the training. Getting all the states to agree on it....well....that's a different story.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

This is something that we have all been wanting for awhile... If it ever does pass I am sure everyone visiting this forum will be happy. A national standard for CCW or CPL training needs to be added to it for it to ever pass.

Example: Indiana: Apply for your CPL go to the Sheriffs office with the paperwork and wait for them to send you the permit.
Michigan: Get paperwork, go to NRA certified training class, turn in all paperwork to County Clerk and it goes in front of a gun board then your invited to a "meeting" they ask a few questions then if you pass they tell you "go pick up your CPL in a week from the County Clerk"

MI has a 5 year limit and then it expires and you have to reapply, Indiana you can pay a variety of amounts based upon how long you want it to last (up to $100 for lifetime vs. MI already have paid $250).

Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Liked 512 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Civilians in Nassau County, Long Island pay $200 for 5 years. A real bargain right?

Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Holy crap, 200?! In wa its less than 60, and thats after lamination (a $3 option)