The Myth of Over-penetration - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The Myth of Over-penetration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
there is another factor to consider when discussing the myth of over-penetration. if you hit your intended target, even on the off chance it does go all the way through, it will have shed much of it's velocity and energy.
True, what you said. I have witnessed several shooting, thru and thru, with various handguns and the 357 125 JHP's make a nasty exit wound but all that is exiting are bullet fragments and body fragments. None of which would be lethal to a by stander!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #42

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Priority one, stopping assailant. Period. Having the second priority being even equal to the first is stupid considering over penetration fatalities are one in a million. Same reason that I will never give up 00 or 000 buckshot in my HD shotgun no matter what anyone tells me.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 AM   #43

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
No worries Mate!!!
Just use any of the current crop of good SD ammo available and you will get a good balance of expansion and penetration. BUT if you must error, error on the side of penetration. If the round don't make it to the 'vitals' it will not be effective in stopping the fight!

PS: The 125 gr 357 mag JHP is not over powered, it is as close to perfect, in the terminal ballistics arena, as it gets when dealing with the need to stop 'human' targets!

First mention of ballistics in a thread about penetration.

That was what I anticipated after reading thread title...I was hoping for a video talking about real world ballistics, muzzle energy, FPS, energy after 30 yards, penetration depths, slow motion videos of shots going into ballistic jell, you know...actual science stuff to back up one's claims.

Instead, I saw a man wearing a bra giving opinions about "what ifs" with no real fact to back up any statement.

all in all, kind of a disappointment.

Here's my real world "scientific" experience.

old phone books. the 4-5" thick kind. We did an experiment at the range one day. 9mm burned right through the book, and the book did a little wiggle/dance, but it never fell over. (it actually took 2 phone books to catch and stop the bullet)

40 s&w went about 3/4 of the way through, and the book was knocked down off the target stand.

45ACP barely went 1/2 way into the book, but the book jumped off the target stand.

clearly the .45 delivered a lot more energy to the target.

I choose to carry the .40 as a blend between the 2...mass of the .45 with the speed of the 9. a well rounded caliber that is still small enough that I can carry 15 rounds without a reload.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #44

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try that same test with a .44 magnum sometime.

It'll go through at least 3 phone books, and won't stop

till the 4th or 5th.

The whole "bystander" argument uses it's shine when you consider

the BGs aren't going to attack you in a crowd...

Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2001 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 762

The myth of over penetration is snake oil. They want everyone to be scared of over penetration so you will run down to the LGS and buy some of those $2 bullets that do not over penetrate, supposedly. When in fact, a $17 box of 50 dinosaur hollow points will stop a bad guy just as well as the latest and greatest hollow point.

People ask how much is your life worth? I have a lot better chance of surviving using bullets that I can afford to shoot 100 of them in practice than bullets I preserve for 5 years.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 09-23-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #46
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
First mention of ballistics in a thread about penetration.

That was what I anticipated after reading thread title...I was hoping for a video talking about real world ballistics, muzzle energy, FPS, energy after 30 yards, penetration depths, slow motion videos of shots going into ballistic jell, you know...actual science stuff to back up one's claims.
70Cuda, terminal ballistics would've been ideal, as well as actual testimony from a professional on the importance of penetration as an aspect of stopping an aggressive person.

If you're serious about the study of terminal ballistics, read this - TWICE - and internalize who this is and where he works. Yes, it's long. It was written for completeness not to be an article read while sitting on the can.

Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue

You should come away with an educated view of penetration and over-penetration and its relevance in self-defense shootings.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #47
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try that same test with a .44 magnum sometime.

It'll go through at least 3 phone books, and won't stop

till the 4th or 5th.

The whole "bystander" argument uses it's shine when you consider

the BGs aren't going to attack you in a crowd...
So what ThereWolf is saying is that you should go ahead and carry that .44 or .41 Magnum as it will defeat almost any cover (trash can, dumpster, door, vehicle, house, etc.)that the BG may try to hide behind and you shouldn't need more than a shot or two! No LAC will be anywhere in sight after the hand cannon goes off the first time.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)