The Myth of Over-penetration - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The Myth of Over-penetration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2760 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Being that this is a sick bozo, you should not trust anything he says.

So back to the point, the cartridge should be able to do the job, and should not be overpowered for the job.

Ergo it would make little sense to carry 44 rem mag revolvers for self defense against people in the city.

Similarly the 357 mag is also overpowered.

However the 40's, 10mm's, 45ACP, 9mm and 38 specials are all very similar and just fine for self defense for everything except bears.

But with bears you are back to the 44 mag class again.
You do realize that a 10 mm is as powerful as a 357 don't you? There is no way that a 38 special is similar to any of those other cartridges other than diameter. Do the math shoobee. I don't care if the guy is wearing a tutu if he speaks the truth. Hell I even agree with chainfire when he gets it right.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
You do realize that a 10 mm is as powerful as a 357 don't you? There is no way that a 38 special is similar to any of those other cartridges other than diameter. Do the math shoobee. I don't care if the guy is wearing a tutu if he speaks the truth. Hell I even agree with chainfire when he gets it right.
maybe he was trying to get some fashion tips rather than ballistics information!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4223 Posts
Likes Given: 16468

You guys have something against cross dressers?
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408907130.803299.jpg

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #24

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

If someone starts their YouTube post with a shot of themselves cross dressing in ladies' underwear, then that speaks volumes.

Axxe is cool with it.

RJD is cool with it.

The ladies' underwear detracts from the credibility notion.

Which is indeed a consistent hypothesis when considering the 3 players who are cool with it.

Of course, if it was a woman starting her YouTube video cross dressing in men's underwear, then I would definitely be cool with that, and she would probably be ADDING to her firearms credibility.

Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Shoobee; 08-24-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #25

Liked 2396 Times on 1402 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I still carry a snubbie now & again. Mostly when I'm out on the Motorcycle and jacket pocket carry is the order of the day. Roving bands aren't a problem yet here in UT. Well humans anyway. Wildlife on the other hand...
Very valid points.

Most of my comparisons from within my own battery and what I carried most were between a S&W 442 Airweight, DAO revolver and a Glock 26 And while a 9mm and .38 may not be apples to apples, neither cartridge is a punishing round or a weakling.

I found the Glock more comfortable for IWB at the 4-5 o'clock position. 10 rounds gave me two times the capacity. I can carry a Glock 19 mag for a 15 round reload. An Airweight Hammerless .38 is not as easy to get fast accurate hits with. You can get there but it takes serious practice. I could usually get a new shooter making better hits with less ammo with the Glock than with the 442.

Muzzle flip and second shot times with good hits were considerably easier and faster with the auto. I found second shot or rapid fire control was harder with the revolver and new shooters has a harder time mastering the DA trigger. So, those were my measures for "shootability". I found with my KFrame when new shooters could use single action they did excellent. But that's not likely or advisable under stress.

Modern striker fired autos give a long but lighter trigger pull that offers the deliberate nature of a DA, along with the point and shoot characteristics, with no special manipulation of safety levers. Reloads are much less complicated, especially with snubby revolvers that usually have an ejector that is too short to fully clear shells from the cylinder. A lower bore axis and grip angle along with weight distribution or balance helps in recoil control. Also the energy distributed in cycling the action seems to change perceived recoil and mitigate muzzle rise.

I have friends who are "Revolver guys", and they are amazing with revolvers. That is why I didn't say revolvers don't have a place in SD. It is also why I have emphasized why an auto has advantages for ME. Axxe was right about there not being a "one size fits all answer".

Just my own interpretation of the experiences I have had and decision.

With regard to moving. Right now I'm in a pretty secure location. Nice quiet neighborhood in the woods with little to no violent crime. I do travel though, and I can't always pick where trouble will be or the nature it will take. I live where the Navy moves me. Pretty sure there are some folks in MO who didn't think it would be too rough in their neck of the woods.

Could I go back to an Airweight revolver? Sure, but there aren't any compelling reasons for ME to change, vs. just sticking with what I know. I'm not suggesting that anyone switch from a revolver based on my choices, just offering my decision points.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
If someone starts their YouTube post with a shot of themselves cross dressing in ladies' underwear, then that speaks volumes.

Axxe is cool with it.

RJD is cool with it.

Which is indeed a consistent hypothesis when considering the 3 players who are cool with it.

Of course, if it was a woman starting her YouTube video cross dressing in men's underwear, then I would definitely be cool with that, and she would probably be ADDING to her firearms credibility.

what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business!

so yes i guess i am cool with it!

i was more focused on the information given than the fashion statement made. as i am married and have been for many years now, i have no idea what single men like yourself do in your free time. if you wish to be a crossdresser, that's none of anyone's business.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #27
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:

Axxe is cool with it.

RJD is cool with it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Sorry, could not get past the cross dressing underwear scene. This bozo is sick.
i find it disturbing that the bra was an exact fit...

acting like a bozo detracts from and minimizes your message regardless of how intelligent and well thought out your points are.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

"The myth of Over-penetration...", that's exactly what my wife said.

People Like This 
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1031 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I guess I missed that post -

JK, Chain - I actually have agreed with you once or twice myself!

Terry

Jesus Christ told me to be armed.
The government wants me disarmed.
Guess which one I will obey?

People Like This