My New CCW is on it's way - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My New CCW is on it's way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1284 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by peybella View Post
Hey - Orlando - My son who lives in GA will be playing travel baseball at the little league baseball field in Orlando next month. I'm probably going to take a few days off to drive over and watch him play.
Where is he playing? Disney? There are a ton of baseball fields in town.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #32

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know yet. The wife was just telling me to get on the ex to get us the schedule and locations. When I find out I'll let you know. Maybe you can drop in and see some baseball and meet a fellow 2nd amender. He play for Watkinsville GA travel team and has been voted to represent the GA team when they start playing the next level. He's a power hitter and a heck of a pitcher. He also catches when he's not pitching. I'll keep you informed.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #33

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Just woud lke t0 know,
what is your favorite weapon over the Glock
And why?

What is the differance between the Gen 3 and Gen 4?

[c
Gen 4, in additional to having adjustable backstraps, has a larger magazine release which can be relocated to the right side of the grip for lefties, a new dual captive recoil spring assembly that supposedly reduces recoil 10 - 15%, a different grip texture, a slightly duller slide finish, and some minor changes in some of the frame internals.

I'm not a Glock expert, but I was fortunate enough to win a G22 Gen 3 last week at a RMEF banquet, so I've been doing some homework!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #34

Well do you at least like your Gen 3? -lol - I spoke with a GLOCK Gunsmith today (my new FFL rep) and he was telling me about the differences. He did say that with some money - of course - a lot of the changes can be made to the 3. I'm a righty so I don't have to worry about that. I held a G3 and it felt great in my hand so I don't think the back straps would matter. Recoil is interesting and when we were talking he mention a dual spring assembly, I wonder if that is what he was referring to. Slide finish shouldn't matter much I wouldn't think I don't know. I do know the first think I'm doing is having night sights put on. Everyone keeps referring to it as a new/old Glock. Hurts my feelings. lol

Old 05-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Well do you at least like your Gen 3? -lol - I spoke with a GLOCK Gunsmith today (my new FFL rep) and he was telling me about the differences. He did say that with some money - of course - a lot of the changes can be made to the 3. I'm a righty so I don't have to worry about that. I held a G3 and it felt great in my hand so I don't think the back straps would matter. Recoil is interesting and when we were talking he mention a dual spring assembly, I wonder if that is what he was referring to. Slide finish shouldn't matter much I wouldn't think I don't know. I do know the first think I'm doing is having night sights put on. Everyone keeps referring to it as a new/old Glock. Hurts my feelings. lol
You'll be good with the Gen 3. As I said, my experience with the Glock is minimal, but from all I've read the Gen 3 probably appeals more to the pureists than the Gen 4. As long as the grip size is acceptable, there is little difference the slide finish makes. Most report negligible difference in recoil, although the useful life of the dual spring assembly is probably longer. As far as texture of the grip goes, if you need a better purchase I recommend (and have installed) a set of Talon Grips in rubberized texture - about $15. The biggest advantage I can see of the Gen 4 is the larger magazine release, but that deficiency (if you want to call it that) of the Gen 3 is certainly overcomeable with practice and training. The Gen 3 lends itself to greater interchangability of internal parts than the Gen 4.

Overall, I'm sure you will be very happy with your Glock. I also agree that a set of night sights is a very good enhancement over the stock ones, particularly for an EDC weapon.

Get it, shoot it, and have fun with it!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #36

OK - Great tip on the grips. The gunsmith said it wouldn't be much to fit it with any size mag I wanted. I'm very excited. Thanks for the report and the up beat attitude. I am really looking forward to getting back out on the range. I have a few range guns but have never really had anything - special - so to speak. I had the Sig 229 that I was able to shoot before my stint in the military but that was just too much after they jacked up my arm. I find myself counting the days and buying extra ammo so I can get it out to the range and break it in. Then I will know if it needs tweaking with grips, trigger pull, etc. As I mentioned before, I'm probably going to go ahead and have my FFL rep put a set of night sights on it the day it comes in and then go from there. Plus I'll have to go to Academy sports and get a paddle holster. I know everyone has seen the Glock 22 but I will still post a couple of pics when I get it in. Thanks so much for the advice. I do plan on this being my CCW. and putting my hard kicking Kel-Tec on my ankle for backup. Then the wife can have the 32 revolver for her backup as she is one for revolvers.

Thanks again and I'll keep you informed and then do a range report from my experience.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was getting groceries with my family and there was a guy had his gun out on his hip getting groceries his self. He was completely unaware of anything going on around him. His holster didn't have any kind of strap to hold it securely. I could have went up got got it before he knew what happend. My point why have a ccw and not concealing your weapon. I live in tn. No open carry with out a ccw. Does anybody else think this guy is an idiot or just got the little man syndrome.

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 994 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I am glad to see all the excitement in getting a carry license, BUT!! remember this, when you decide to carry, it brings with it a HUGE responsibility, and liability. Just make sure you are ready to accept it.

I congratulate you on your achievement.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I am glad to see all the excitement in getting a carry license, BUT!! remember this, when you decide to carry, it brings with it a HUGE responsibility, and liability. Just make sure you are ready to accept it.

I congratulate you on your achievement.
Absolutely true!

Before I began carrying a number of years ago, I was familar with the old axiom "that an armed society is a polite society." I always assumed that meant folks, under the assumption that they were in close proximity to armed people, would make some attempt to be on their best behavior.

After I began carrying, I was faced with the enormity of the responsibility of being armed and realized that what actually happens is that I altered my behavior so as not to put myself in the position of ever having to use a weapon against another. The last thing I would want to do is provoke someone into a confrontation needlessly. I became much more tolerant and mellow toward my fellow citizens.

That is not to say I would not defend myself or my family - only that I view the use of a firearm as a last resort. To have the means to take a life is an enormous responsibility.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #40

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhide
I was getting groceries with my family and there was a guy had his gun out on his hip getting groceries his self. He was completely unaware of anything going on around him. His holster didn't have any kind of strap to hold it securely. I could have went up got got it before he knew what happend. My point why have a ccw and not concealing your weapon. I live in tn. No open carry with out a ccw. Does anybody else think this guy is an idiot or just got the little man syndrome.
I live in Arizona and open carry is quite common. I have a CCW but its not necessary for constitutional open carry, nor is it required for concealed carry except in certain situations. However I would not open carry with a holster that did not offer some kind of retention.