My New CCW is on it's way - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My New CCW is on it's way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just got done with my carry class got to go do the rest real soon got to get a new birth certificate. Can't wait.

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Good for you. Follow those direction to the word. Getem back quick ASAP. Then you have to decide what you want to carry.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Finished to CPL class Saturday. Couldn't be more proud being a 21 y/o female exercising her rights now to finish the paper work and shoot shoot shoot (until I find the right fit... and shoot some more) yay!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #14

Good for you - It took my wife a bit to get her out on the range. Now that I have she has a few pistols and a rifle she owns herself. She carries. a Taurus poly judge. She doesn't like having to pull back a hard slide to chamber the pistol but does like large cals. So the Judge revolver that shoots the 410 shell or the 45 colt shell fits her perfect. Do try them all and I know some of the ladies on the forum will help you if you have questions. Try not to settle for anything less than what you want and remember that the smaller the caliber the more chance you have in making someone angry instead of stopping them. My wife is always open to questions if you have them. Good luck and we are very proud of you for exercising 2nd amendment rights. I teach in my area and push for more woman to get their CCL's.

Viking Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #15

I'm glad you said that...because they kept saying that at the class, yet they told us for home protection the NRA doesn't recommended much more than a 357 for home protection (if I remember correctly). In the case that you miss your target, or it goes straight through to the next room. It was a tad confusing. First of all they talked about stopping power and what have you. I've never been shot, but I would guess it doesn't feel good, no matter what the caliber. Especially if I clear my mag. I've been around guns my whole life, and I've always been taught to know my target, and what is beyond that target. If I'm potentially putting someone else life in danger...I feel like I would need to rethink the situation.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #16

I work in the ER in my city as a Trauma Tech and can say that I've seen more than a few that have come through with small caliber wounds. I have also been in the ER to see the one's they have gotten a hold of that shot them and they were in much worse shape with broken bones, teeth, fingers, knife wounds, etc. I even have an x-ray copy of a guy who tried to off him self with a 22 LR. He is an idiot living on government funding because - he lived - The bullet track went straight between his eyes and stopped just at his brain stem. I'm in no way saying that small calibers are not or can't be a source of protection. I am saying that if you can practice and slowly move up in calibers and then find your sweet spot in calibers and frame sizes (and have the means to do so of course) I would go that route. That is the direction my wife went and it went well. For me, I like a 40 caliber and a mid size frame. Others do like a 357 mid to large frame. Some like a 9mm mid to small frame. I will say be careful of small frame and larger calibers. They will hurt when shooting. It's the size and weight of a firearm that plays a big part in absorbing the shock when shooting. And you want something you can carry but fun to shoot at the range as well. Just an opinion.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #17

Gosh...can that guy even function anymore?

Its actually really helpful getting a perspective from an ER tech. You get those guys that are big and bad and want to carry the biggest caliber possible. They sometimes come across arrogant, and I'm reluctant to take their advice. Luckily most everyone on here has been very humble, thus far. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #18

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I'm a pretty small guy. 6' tall and 145-150 pounds depending on the time of day lol... But I carry a full size 1911 in .45acp

I find that carrying IWB with a nice belt and a button up shirt is comfortable and easy to conceal!

Also when shooting, a heavy 1911 absorbs a lot of recoil and it's very manageable. Seems to me like the best balance.

If you wanna commit to carrying a firearm a 40oz 1911 shouldn't be too bad with a nice leather belt and proper clothing. And if you can comfortably shoot the gun then everything is good in the world haha!

I have no idea how comfortable it would be for a girl tho... I kinda have a little man complex and carrying the big gun just seems natural ;p

But another reason I prefer the gun that is, a big 230 grain slow moving (slower, anyway) .45 round won't go through too many walls or what have you. (Well it shouldn't anyway) and it will devastate a person first shot. (Or seems like it would... I couldn't say first hand, thank goodness)

I would definitely suggest trying out a 1911 and maybe doing a little reading up on them. Just my 2 cents...

Sorry that kinda turned into a whiskey tangent

Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatMarionette View Post
I have no idea how comfortable it would be for a girl tho... I kinda have a little man complex and carrying the big gun just seems natural ;p
I always thought a little man complex was little short guys ha at least you have the height going for you. A lot of people I have talked to have recommended a 1911. I'll have to try a few out.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #20

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbs687 View Post

I always thought a little man complex was little short guys ha at least you have the height going for you. A lot of people I have talked to have recommended a 1911. I'll have to try a few out.
You will not be displeased just bought my first recently and have no idea what took me so long to pick one up.