Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My IWB Holster for my 8-3/8" Raging Bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My IWB Holster for my 8-3/8" Raging Bull

Just thought I'd show this. I added steel snap buttons to the back of an old belt clip and to the side of my holster for IWB use. This way I can pop off the IWB clip to carry the holster OWB for competition and such. I take classes on campus and work at a bank, so admittedly I don't carry most hours of the day (basically only in the car and when running errands). But, this is the weapon I do carry like 98% of the time. It is quite comfortable. I've walked around a fair all day, taken naps on multiple occasions, sat through movies, and even jumped on a pogo stick, all without any discomfort. With the holster, however, it is much more secure and I can run around the yard with my dogs and sit and sqaut and stand without any risk of it falling or shifting. I've been concealing it under an open vest. I only recently modified this holster to make sure I liked it before committing to having a custom IWB holster made. But, this works well enough that I'm now not hugely motivated to find one. I tuck the retention strap away when carrying it concealed.

Flame suit on :P .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ok.........why?

It's huge, low capacity, slow to draw,etc...... I'm failing to see the point here?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't seen any notably greater difficulty in drawing than any other IWB setup I've had. With the smaller guns, the shorter stroke has been ofset by the greater difficulty in getting purchase on the small grip stuck close to my body. Really, especially from my various concealment setups, it isn't far behind in draw speed. In high-stakes gaming competition the difference might be noticable, but I can't tell any difference once you add moving clothing out of the way, retention straps, etc.

If I were going into battle, indeed I'd definitely prefer 18 rounds of [good] 9mm (as backup to a rifle :P ). Clearly this isn't the best CC defensive setup. In fact, I only bought this because I wanted a handgun in a powerful chambering capable of good accuracy (for hunting and general range and alternate defensive use). Not only can can I consistently ring the 200yd gong, but even at that range still hits with the terminal effectiveness of a .45ACP point-blank. I can also put these powerful loads (my defensive and practice loads carry 1000fpe) onto defensive-range targets rather quickly (6 shots on 3 targets in under 2 seconds). After I sold my previous primary carry weapon, only through curiosity did I end up trying to carry the Bull, and discovered it is not that difficult to conceal and is actually more comfortable than when I used to carry a '92 at 12:30. But, it is really that with this weapon, I can do everything I want to do well enough that I don't feel the need to spend $500-$700 on another platform when I'd rather put that money into practice and training with this.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It looks like it's pulling your pants down for you.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haha I think it's the angle. Pants are quite snug! Pogo stick, remember?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Haha I think it's the angle. Pants are quite snug! Pogo stick, remember?
Looks like your pants are really sagging just around where the gun is. Rightly so, it weighs 53ounces!!!...unloaded..

So, you have an extremely overpenetrating, low capacity, extremely heavy,massive, bulky, pulling your pants down carry gun.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I don't know how long you've been carrying, but if we're honest we all know you won't be lugging that thing around very much at all. I mean, yeah, you have the cool factor and you can conceal it. BUT, it's not practical at all. So many cons vs. pro's it's not worth comparing.

My advice is to get a practical carry gun and practice with it alot.

I carry an M&P 9compact and a Ruger LCP .380 in the pocket. Together I have two guns and 20rds ready to go not including the extra magazines. BOTH of them together still weigh FAR less than your hog leg and I gurantee are MUCH more comfortable to carry around.

In the colder months I do like to carry my 1911 though.

Just my .02

Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Rightly so, it weighs 53ounces!!!...unloaded..
63, unloaded... .

Quote:
So, you have an extremely overpenetrating,
My loads will only penetrate about 16-18" in gel. Most 180gr loads will do about 12-14", with some heavy fragmenting depending on bullet design and velocity. Not all loads are designed to penetrate buffalo end-to-end! :P

Quote:
low capacity,
I'd take 6 rounds of .44mag over 8 rounds of .45acp... .

Quote:
I don't know how long you've been carrying, but if we're honest we all know you won't be lugging that thing around very much at all.

My advice is to get a practical carry gun and practice with it alot.
I daily carried a '92 for about a year, and did a couple of IPSC competitions with it. Then I went through a couple small pistols that I didn't like very much. I had begun experimenting with carrying the Bull before selling my PF9and, as I mentioned, became satisfied enough with it that I didn't feel the need to spend several hundred more on another complete setup. But, realistically, I don't carry it any less than I did my 92 (so pretty much all day on the weekends, and basically during my daily commute and on the occasional errand during the week), or even any of the compacts. I originally went for the subcompacts to try to carry at work, but decided against it out of fear that if I'm ever exposed for any reason, I'd be working at McDonald's the rest of my life. Of course, if I ever start noticing I carry it less and less as times goes on due to discomfort or inconvenience, then I'll look into something else. So, who knows.

But, I do practice quite a bit. I've only had it for a few months but have put around 2200 rounds through it so far (average 125-150ish rounds per week), plus probably 8000 dry-fires. Due to the porting and muzzle-heavy design, I can actually double-tap about as rapidly as I could with my '92 (within a few yards, I can shoot three targets COM in about 2 seconds). But, I also like making myself take that extra split second to make the first shot count rather than firing twice. This helps me take advantage of the power of the round and, of course, get used to conserving the relatively low capacity. Going to start competing with it this weekend, actually (just for fun, obviously).

Here's a quick vid of me doing some shooting. First and only time I've ever done this type of triple-tap ("failure to stop") drill. As mentioned in the description, I ended up rushing the last shot pretty bad. In the video I say it would have missed the "head," though after looking at the page and comparing it to my head, I think it would have done the job.

The only thing I've seriously considered would be a small pocket pistol like a P32. That would only be for the "absolutely always on me as long as I've got more than underwear on" factor, but not necessarily as a replacement for the Bull. Though, even then I hesitate because I don't want to get complacent and start only carrying that when I'd have otherwise carried the bull. If something went down, I'd DEFINITELY rather have 12 rounds of .44mag rather than 15 rounds of .32acp, and there are very few situations where I might have the P32 on me where I wouldn't be carrying the Bull (which would mostly be like, in my house or backyard, heh). Now, if someone gave me a Glock19 right now I'd probably start carrying out of convenience but, as mentioned, I'm content enough with carrying the Bull that I haven't felt the need to purchase anything else.

I do appreciate the feedback, though!

Oh, and I did take another pic. This is from the front, and you can see the end of the butt on the right side of my stomach. The apparent sagging really was the angle of the shot, and possibly that I just stuffed the holster and weapon into my dress pants for the original picture .

Last edited by Lindenwood; 08-05-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I'd take 6 rounds of .44mag over 8 rounds of .45acp
I wouldn't.I'm sure you have a very fast reload and all though. lol

63oz = 3.9375lbs. My mistake! I can see now that 4lbs of steel on a narrow holster could not possibly be pulling your waistbnd down at all. I'm sure you walked around for hours before you took that snapshot. I'm sure it is comfortable and easy, you'll NEVER leave it at home because it's inconvenient.

Ok, sarcasm off. Whatever floats your boat man. I"m out of this nonsense.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5645 Times on 3319 Posts
Likes Given: 4756

Not hatin', but why not a shoulder holster? Too hot for a jacket?

It does make me wonder how hard it would be for me to carry my XD45; it has a similarly LARGE grip.

OK, wait; can you draw that while seated, like driving?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 08-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not hatin', but why not a shoulder holster? Too hot for a jacket?
Trying some out, they seemed to print more. It would require a much larger jacket / vest to conceal it, and they are harder to draw because the weapon is so long for how high it is carried on the body. My hand would be at eye-level before it cleared the holster :P .

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
OK, wait; can you draw that while seated, like driving?
Yup. Every day as I pull up to work, I slide it out and lock it in the car. When I get into my car from work, I slide the bull back into my waistband while seated. It actually isn't any harder to draw than when I used to carry the 92 at 12:30, but is much more comfortable sitting. I just took a 10-hr road trip wearing the Bull and never took it off, even to nap. But, I've sat in my garage and practiced drawing while seated, and it was surprisingly easy. Not the easiest by any stretch, but with concealment it is all relative anyways. I thought it would be difficult, but it's really not.

Gojubrian, no need to get your panties in a wad... Nobody is telling you or anyone else to carry it, and nobody but you is implying that it is as comfortable as carrying a 1.5lb compact. With my belt properly tensioned and with properly-fitting pants I have gone for hours, sitting and standing, without needing to adjust my pants or the gun. And hell, this is justBut, wwith a heavy-ish $9 belt from Walmart. A real gun-belt (on my list, just never got around to it) would work even better. But, it's the internet so if you choose not to believe me it's no skin off my nose. I'm just sharing information.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 08-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.