My house was broken into today - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

My house was broken into today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. After reading this thread, it really makes a person think about how easy it is to have their house broken into. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do a little home improvement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool
I'm sitting on my couch, still so pissed off I could spit nails.

I got home today a little later than usual. I had my 2 year old little girl with me. She wanted to watch her princess show, I was clearing off a spot on the counter to put the flowers and card I'd got for my wife. I headed toward the back door it get some steaks out of the freezer when I noticed my back door was kicked in.

What do you do in a situation like this? I grabbed my little girl, ran to my room, which had been ransacked, to grab my gun, which luckily was there still. I can't carry at work, so I usually leave it home within easy access of were my wife and I sleep.

After calling the police and going through my house it looks like they only stole my Nintendo wii and my little girls piggy bank. What kind of sick bastard steals a little girls piggy bank?

I feel so violated and pissed off. I really think if I'd been home they'd be cleaning the blood from my carpet. I don't own, we rent, my landlord is a hell of a good guy, says he's having metal doors installed tomorrow, after which my wife and I plan on getting a bigger better safe.

I'm so pissed off these sons of bitches came in my home and stole from me. Stole from my little girl. My wife and I both work, I leave early on the morning, my wife does to. What the hell more can I do to stop them? So pissed right now. Cowards.
Idk if ur able to have pets or not, or even if ur place is big enough but I had the best full blooded German shepherd and was an awesome dog for my son, he saved my life and my son life twice.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
My mom and dad have two huge dogs. Their house got robbed the dogs followed the burglars in and sat on the couch watching em...

Dogs being a deterrent is more myth than anything.
German shepherds r very protect-of and would have not let them ppl in. Some dogs r just good friends.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Theropin,

After 27 years as a law enforcement officer and also serving a few years as an Burglary and Robbery Investigator in a major metro area. I concur with several of the other guys who have posted here responding to your thread! And speaking openly and I certainly know how it is to have your residence violated "being sacred ground" in our life. I feel this incident was a wake up call! I have no doubt that the individual who broke into your home was a young juvenile (or mentally impaired person or with a child's mentality) due to the fact of the items taken only being the Nintendo and a Piggy Bank. I almost would bet they were on foot, live in the vicinity and someone may have seen them walking with the Nintendo unit. I believe they obviously were not older nor had a vehicle which they could have used to load a lot more items up from your home like TVs and other valuable items. Also the fact that they did not take any weapons. I feel it is probably someone in your immediate neighborhood. You might get with one of the patrol officers or Deputies that regularly patrol the area in the neighborhood and have a private talk with them. As well as talk to neighbors when you see them. Probably not the first time the juvenile or person has been in problems in the city. Only my thoughts. But as was mentioned by the others here a good dog to watch the house would have probably deterred at least this intruder. Obvioulsy not a professional thief! And will have also brought to mind future actions to protect your family and property in the future. There are a lot of LEOs on this forum that can give you good advise and certainly those who have experienced the same intrusion into their life that can share wisdom concerning future precautionary actions to protect you and your loved ones. Glad no one was hurt in your situation and that was all that was lost although that in itself was devastating. Please try the best you can to down play it with your little one since these types of incidents can make an everlasting frightening impression on a young child for life. Sorry for your experience but make the best of it as a learning tool!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #25

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Sorry man. Hopefully some of your belongings can be tracked down. You might consider looking into a home security system. Glad no one was hurt.
I 2nd that man!! ... The most important thing is that everyone is okay!!... a home security system will help (I have one)... or (for now) you can get just a sign for the front & back, maybe some stickers for the door(s)... That way if they DO return they'll think twice. BUT... if you live isolated, a security system is almost a must in these times of hard economics and rising drug use.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #26

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy a good German Shepard puppy totally worth every penny!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #27

image-724301963.jpg

You think ur brave go and try to touch my son lol

Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Watch the local pawn shop, c-list, and swap meet...your stuff will be sold most likely and the cash used for drugs. You might get lucky and find it before it gets sold...hopefully you can prove what's yours.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #29

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
Buy a good German Shepard puppy totally worth every penny!
A dog will help to alert if you're home (I have a Boxer/Visla mix myself)... but again, if you live isolated they might just shoot the dog after casing the place to make sure you're away (yes, it's sad...but the world HAS come to that). Works better when you can see your neighbor's house and they can see your's. Besides, they're family too.... at least in my house he is.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am sorry you had to go through that.

I wonder if you might consider a motion-activated camera or two; the prices have come WAY down, even on the night-vision ones. http://www.surveillance-video.com/moacsere.html just an example.

I agree that it was probably kids considering what was taken. One place i lived in Memphis was broken into; they took a jug of change, a VCR, and a couple of my roomate's revolvers. MPD showed up ASAP after the revolvers were mentioned. The only non-child who ever stole change from me or someone i know was a crackhead who broke into my car for a ashtray full of quarters (missed the $20 in the console); their reasoning is child-like.