My house was broken into today - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My house was broken into today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Im so sorry to hear this man. I cant imagine how mad you are. Just be glad that all they got was little stuff and you and your family are unharmed. My advise is to get a dog. Most people wont think twice about stealing from a house with a dog. Or atleast pickup some beware of dog signs to scare them off thinking you have one. And durango and WOC are right keep on alert for another breakin and most people that only take a few things like a wii know that you have that and in some way know you.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Last edited by jon1992d; 02-15-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

That sucks, I bet it was some random kids. I have a friend that almost had the same thing happen but it was a ps3 and a lb of bacon. They think it was a relative of theres.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #13

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Had my house broke into in 1998. Totally ransacked it and got away with alot of stuff. I was at work when it happened. They broke into the side garage door behind the fence then busted into the door between the kitchen and the garage. Something in the pit of my gut made me to go home from work the next day, near mid-day, to check and sure as **** they had been in there again and got a few more items. Totally tore the house up. Several months later they found some of my stuff at a fences house and thats when I found out it was teenage kids. Most of them had been in group homes or had juvenile criminal records and some knew my teenage daughter. The fence had just got out of pison several months earlier. Insurance covered most of it but they did get some sentimental items that couldnt be replaced.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #14

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Sorry man. Hopefully some of your belongings can be tracked down. You might consider looking into a home security system. Glad no one was hurt.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #15

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

First, I am glad your family is safe, and sorry that you have to go thru this.

I was very lucky, I came home to the front door swinging in the breeze, and a 75# Doberman standing in the door way still pissed off. The dog would not bark until it was time to bite, so who ever kicked in the door got a Big surprise. Nothing in the house had been touched, and the dog got a steak that night for dinner....medium rare.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #16

Liked 2403 Times on 1559 Posts

Ccw instructor said a dog is more valuable than a gun... Works when Ur not home. These cases are 95% addicts looking for quick cash, or kids.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1852 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I know the feeling and it is hard to get over. I keep valuables in a safe and have an alarm system.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21391 Times on 12141 Posts
Likes Given: 53272

my vote for a family dog! a firearm is an excellent SD tool for a break-in, but is only worthwhile if you are home when it happens, Fido is home 24/7 and once he bonds to the family, he is the best security system there is. an alarm system is more useful or better if you happen to live in the suburbs or the city, if you live in a rural area, the thieves will be long gone before LE arrives. so if in a rural area, a dog outside is also a good deterrent and one inside is better. my house, and i live in a very rural area, you can't get within 200 yards of the house without the dogs raising cain! trespasser's will be eaten, survivor's will be prosecuted!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89
Sorry man. Hopefully some of your belongings can be tracked down. You might consider looking into a home security system. Glad no one was hurt.
I pay $48 a month for my ADT service, they've been really good, no complaints from here. I have what they called the On Star model (I believe), its a 2-way communication device also with the ADT center.

Or given the circumstances, you might want to check out the ADT Pulse, it's more money (don't know how much), but you can add on a camera to the system, and if you have a smart phone you can remotely view the camera whenever. You can also remotely arm/disarm straight from your phone. I plan on getting it when we move into a house sometime next year. Just an option, I don't know if your renting or not, we are but I DGAF, I'd rather pay to fix a small square cut in the wall, than lose my personal belongings.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 358

My mom and dad have two huge dogs. Their house got robbed the dogs followed the burglars in and sat on the couch watching em...

Dogs being a deterrent is more myth than anything.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...