My Home Defence Story

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My Home Defence Story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My Home Defence Story

Hiya.

I just thought I'd share the story about how I used to my firearms to defend my home.

It was quite a few years ago, and I was living alone at the time (with no pets). I was asleep in bed in the back of the (small) house when I heard a muffled ka-thump; Klank..

Oddly enough, my first reaction wasn't "awe crap" or "oh, my gosh...". My first reaction was, "Hey... MY house doesn't go "ka-thump; Klank." ... WTH?

After the floor in the kitchen gave a slight creeking noise (the house is small, you can hear it from the beadroom if all else is quite), I finally got my wits about me and realized my situation.

I quickly aquired my 357 that I keep ready, and I quietly approached the door while I was getting set in my mind what I might have to do. But since I am not a castle-law fan, and I don't believe that breaking-and-entering is a capital offence, I had already made the choice ahead of time that if in that spot, I would declare myself (if I could do it safely) and allow the would-be thief to run. Anybody who doesn't run after hearing the homeowner is there and armed, well, they're obviously not just a thief; at that point they are trying to kill you, and I then have no moral issues with responding with deadly force. (yeah, there are still possible legal issues, but the moral ones are what will cause you to hesitate... and thus get killed.)

So anyway, I was headed to the door getting the wording straight, when I realized that I had the ability to use a language-independant message that clearly states " I am an armed homeowner and I am ready to use deadly force to defend my home and family". -- With my off-hand, I grabbed my 20 ga shotgun (which I didn't evan have any ammo for in the house; hadn't shot it in 10 years) by the slide and with a quick back-and-forth motion I sent the crystal clear sound of a pump-shotgun-action ringing through the house.

Three loud footsteps and the sound of the back door slamming. - I was alone in the house.

I never saw the intruder; only the dammage to the rear door he left behind for me.

Just proves the old addage:
When the only tool you have is a hammer, all your problems start looking like nails. But when the only tool you have is a shotgun, all your problems start looking... for the nearest exit.

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 01-22-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #2

Great story! The only thing I would of done different is make sure I came face to face with the homewrecker and made him lay flat on the floor until police arrived. He probably just went down the street and broke into someone elses house.

Proud NRA member

Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
Great story! The only thing I would of done different is make sure I came face to face with the homewrecker and made him lay flat on the floor until police arrived. He probably just went down the street and broke into someone elses house.
After he changed his shorts?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just proves the old addage:
When the only tool you have is a hammer, all your problems start looking like nails. But when the only tool you have is a shotgun, all your problems start looking... for the nearest exit.

.[/QUOTE]

Like that Adage!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #5

Thanks.

I first heard it in a group of people playing DOOM.

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #6

Great story, although the racking of a shotgun isnt always enough. In some cases, the crook hearing the shotgun went into a defensive mode because he felt trapped, and ended up feeling compelled to fight with the home owner.

A well placed shot will end his fantasies of winning the fight.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #7

Yeah,
The "moral to this story" Is NOT that racking a shotgun will scare away the BadGuys...

I was prepared to defend my home and my life (with the .357), but I gave a non-lethal course of action a chance to work. And I'm glad I did.

That being said... I always treat with a little comtempt the guys who spout that racking a shotgun doesn't do anything. I personally know for a fact that it does.

I CAN however, get on board with anybody who preaches that you should not COUNT ON scaring away an attacker. I know from my own experience that I wasn't relying on the noise to save me... And if I had not actually been ready to engage in a fight (gunfight that is) I would have not felt nearly as good about my chances for survival that night.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear View Post
Yeah,
The "moral to this story" Is NOT that racking a shotgun will scare away the BadGuys...

I was prepared to defend my home and my life (with the .357), but I gave a non-lethal course of action a chance to work. And I'm glad I did.

That being said... I always treat with a little comtempt the guys who spout that racking a shotgun doesn't do anything. I personally know for a fact that it does.

I CAN however, get on board with anybody who preaches that you should not COUNT ON scaring away an attacker. I know from my own experience that I wasn't relying on the noise to save me... And if I had not actually been ready to engage in a fight (gunfight that is) I would have not felt nearly as good about my chances for survival that night.

I agree. I wasnt saying it doesnt do anything, Im just saying alot of people expect the sound to scare people away, and when it doesnt they are in for a rude awakening.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default home defence

When you picked up that 357 you should of had your hand held flshlight in the other hand. I am sure by your description that the house was in total darkness or maby you sleep with some lights on? you dont want to be firing at shadows in the night

Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #10

Wow... 'thought this thread was dead...

Anyway; Yes, actually... the house was lit. I kept a desk lamp on the in the far-front room of the house. - It showed through the blinds in the front window to give the appearance that someone might be up, and it was on the far side of the main hallway from my bedroom so that anybody coming out of any of the rooms in my house (including the kitchen) would be back-lit when observed from my bedroom. - It worked well in the small, simple-rectangle shaped house I had back then.

but don't get me wrong... I totally agree with what you said. - shooting at shadows is asking for trouble. I'm a big fan of weapon lights and when I moved into a house with a more complex floor plan, I chose to risk looking tacti-cool (since nobody I actually know should ever see these weapons anyway) and mounted a light to my HD weapons. (plural... I now keep a shotgun loaded too.)

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 01-02-2009 at 02:57 PM.