My friends and family think I'm a nut because....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My friends and family think I'm a nut because....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default My friends and family think I'm a nut because....

I carry while I'm at home.

I can't be the only one. Tell me I'm not a nut and alone in carrying at home. There have been way too many home invasions in our city lately. Bad guys breaking in and holding families hostage. This isn't going to happen to my family. We've got two dogs (a little yapper and a big boxer) that let us know when something isn't "right".

The guys at work joke that having guns doesn't help because when someone breaks in you'll have to "wait, let me go get my gun". I answer that by the fact that I have a gun on me on within reach at all times. Then I get the blank "he's crazy" looks.

I don't really care, but I would like to know if others of you carry at home.

Proud NRA member

Ruger SR1911 Commander
Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #2

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

We do too, they are within reach (and we live in a pretty nice area) and we also have 2 big dogs. Many people that come over (including a LEO) say NO WAY would they target our house when hearing the dogs go nuts if some one knocks on the door. I guess a BG could simply shoot the dog but I would think if they were doing random door knocks to see if someone is home, I'd pick a different door than ours.

You're not a nut, you are being protective.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default My friends and family think I'm a nut because....

I carry around my house for the same reason. If I don't have a gun on me then there is at least one by me. We are saving money to get into a better area but for now it's the way it has to be. It's better to be safe than sorry. Especially when it's my family's life I am to protect.

Last edited by foot2400; 03-17-2014 at 12:18 AM.
TerryDM Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #4

Liked 76 Times on 47 Posts

My wife and I both carry in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2723 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Terry,

There is nothing at all wrong with having a weapon available while at home or elsewhere. I have heard the wind blow before concerning those who think it is obserb to do so! But many have had to stand by while their family was accosted, seriously injured, raped, and even killed. And I am sure they wished if they were lucky to survive, would have had one available and known how to use it! The fact of believing for one minute that "IT WON"T HAPPEN HERE OR TO US! is a figment of the imagination! It happens every day YES! in America!
I never leave home without a semi-auto pistol at least! And as far as the home and office, there is a weapon within reach in each place always. Including a double barrel shotgun, Glock Model 27 40 Cal. And ARs throughuot both locations. As Bill Jordan of Boarder Patrol fame advised years ago! There is No Second Place Winners! And when it comes to me and the family I intend on Winning! And will have no hesitation to neutralize any serious threat to their well being if you follow what I am saying. So you are the smart one! Not them!
Here is a picture of the Encyclopedia that sets by my Lazy Boy at home while watching TV in the evening. And the area! Need to finish it but it will surfice in the mean time. Got the book from a neighbor who was throwing it away If anyone needs to know how to make one I can post it!img_0401.jpg

img_0402.jpg

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-16-2014 at 11:17 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Terry there is nothing wrong with being a "gun nut" while I don't carry on my hip while in the house, I'm never more than a few feet from a firearm.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Gun and a bible, both are ALWAYS within reach. No exceptions.

But my family and friends think I'm a nut because they know me, no other special reason.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 545 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 170

It would make sense to have a firearm within reach in the house. But carrying it around the house wouldn't be for me. Whatever makes you feel safe.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #9

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

Default You ??... A "nut' ??? Getouttahere!!

90% of the time I am carrying.. even when home... on my hip. It is (IMHO) the safest way to have a loaded firearm in the house where kids are involved. The only time I do not carry is when I sleep (next to me on my nightstand)... or when it's illegal to do so (my son's school, goberment buildings, arena hockey games & concerts etc. etc.).... The rest of my arsenal is always locked away in the safe w/ the ammo in separate locked ammo containers when not in use or cleaning and therefore under my control.

So in my judgement the answer is no... You are not a "nut" (and you're probably being called this by others who do not even OWN a firearm)... You are being a responsible gun owner and keeping it directly in your control at all times... period!!

Last edited by NC1760; 03-17-2014 at 12:09 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #10

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
90% of the time I am carrying.. even when home... on my hip. It is (IMHO) the safest way to have a loaded firearm in the house where kids are involved. The only time I do not carry is when I sleep (next to me on my nightstand)... or when it's illegal to do so (my son's school, goberment buildings, arena hockey games & concerts etc. etc.).... The rest of my arsenal is always locked away in the safe w/ the ammo in separate locked ammo containers when not in use or cleaning and therefore under my control.

So in my judgement the answer is no... You are not a "nut" (and you're probably being called this by others who do not even OWN a firearm)... You are being a responsible gun owner and keeping it directly in your control at all times... period!!
Damn good points on all counts. I don't hand out likes often because I'm normally on the app, but lately I've been using the browser more often than not.