Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   My CCW experience today. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/my-ccw-experience-today-80249/)

BB98338 01-03-2013 09:54 PM

My CCW experience today.

I live in Washington State and I had misplaced my Pistol Permit. So today I went down to the Law Enforcement Support Agency (where you have to go to get the permits now). I got there at 8:30 am when they opened. There were about 50 people in the office and a 20 foot line out the door. They said it has been this way since the CT incident. Inside you pick a number and wait for service. It took 2-1/2 hours for them to get to me. It seems like there is a run on permits now in WA State. I also found out a couple of interesting things talking to some of the employees there. One of them is that the information on permit holders will not be made public in WA State and that info will only be available to law enforcement. I am also happy to live in a shall issue state.

70cuda383 01-03-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB98338 (Post 1078478)
I live in Washington State and I had misplaced my Pistol Permit. So today I went down to the Law Enforcement Support Agency (where you have to go to get the permits now). I got there at 8:30 am when they opened. There were about 50 people in the office and a 20 foot line out the door. They said it has been this way since the CT incident. Inside you pick a number and wait for service. It took 2-1/2 hours for them to get to me. It seems like there is a run on permits now in WA State. I also found out a couple of interesting things talking to some of the employees there. One of them is that the information on permit holders will not be made public in WA State and that info will only be available to law enforcement. I am also happy to live in a shall issue state.

Yes, Ohio is a shall issue as well thankfully. unless they find out you're a wife beater (or other disqualifying crimes) they have to issue you a permit.

thefarmboy21 01-03-2013 11:22 PM

I was at the sheriffs office two days ago (southern Ohio) for my wife's CCW and the deputy said that there's a class in about 2 1/2 weeks that already has 52 people signed up so far! I also asked what the percentage of CCW citizens in our county is.....there are about 5000 CCW packing citizens currently out of about 64,000 people. That's not quite 13% BUT most of the population is under 21 so theres a lot of adults packing heat around me.

JonM 01-03-2013 11:56 PM

law enforcement doesnt even get access to the permit list in wisconsin

70cuda383 01-04-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1078705)
law enforcement doesnt even get access to the permit list in wisconsin

who does the background checks and issues the permits then? In Ohio, you have to pay money to the county sheriff to do your background check, so they know who does and who does not have a permit.

treehugger49 01-05-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1080102)
who does the background checks and issues the permits then? In Ohio, you have to pay money to the county sheriff to do your background check, so they know who does and who does not have a permit.

The local (county) sheriff's office in Georgia also conducts the background checks for a Georgia Weapon's License as well. However, it is my understanding that they aren't involved in the actual issuance of the permit, since that is under the jurisdiction of the Probate Court of the respective county.

In some states the issuance of a CCW is tied to automobile registration, so if your tag is run during a traffic stop, the officer will know whether the registered owner of that vehicle has been issued a permit.

primer1 01-06-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49

The local (county) sheriff's office in Georgia also conducts the background checks for a Georgia Weapon's License as well. However, it is my understanding that they aren't involved in the actual issuance of the permit, since that is under the jurisdiction of the Probate Court of the respective county.

In some states the issuance of a CCW is tied to automobile registration, so if your tag is run during a traffic stop, the officer will know whether the registered owner of that vehicle has been issued a permit.

That's how it works in Ohio, unless it was changed.

BB98338 04-23-2013 07:51 PM

I thought I would follow up on this. I had received my replacement permit and found that it expires May 2013. I wend down to the sheriff office on 4/15 about 10:30am, had to wait about 15 minutes to do the renewal. Got my new permit today in the mail. Pretty impressed with the service this time.

Chainfire 04-23-2013 07:54 PM

The dangest thing in Florida is the Department of Agriculture does the CCW permiting. Go figure......

I am betting politics was involved.......

Tackleberry1 04-23-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB98338 (Post 1224455)
I thought I would follow up on this. I had received my replacement permit and found that it expires May 2013. I wend down to the sheriff office on 4/15 about 10:30am, had to wait about 15 minutes to do the renewal. Got my new permit today in the mail. Pretty impressed with the service this time.

I've had both WA and OR CCW's for about 17 years now and have been impressed with the efficiency and courtesy of both States in the arena.

Tack