My appendix carry experiences. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > My appendix carry experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #21
fev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I carry my J frame @ 11 o'clock with a Desantis holster canted to my strong side for a cross draw. Never had a problem with comfort, except when I had the flu and was leaning over the porcelain. Don't know if this helps but my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #22

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
The longer I carry this way, the more comfortable it gets. However, I doubt my fullsize would be comfortable...
Its not getting more comfortable-----
That area is just going numb
Pulling a leg friend
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Even with lots of benefits and advocates,I refuse to carry a gun pointed at my head. If something happens you're screwed. If your lucky enough to miss your junk you're likely to hit the artery in your thigh. If that happens you'll be dead before 911 answers the phone.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Even with lots of benefits and advocates,I refuse to carry a gun pointed at my head. If something happens you're screwed. If your lucky enough to miss your junk you're likely to hit the artery in your thigh. If that happens you'll be dead before 911 answers the phone.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
I can see your point but if you follow all the gun cardinal safety rules you will be fine. And regardless of where you carry, you are pointing it someplace on your body. AIWB isn't for everyone. Some people it feels natural and others it doesn't.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

And jstrong the tac fuzz on the INCOG seems great and then add the mag caddy to the holster. Talk about speed reloads.
And I'll admit I'm short but not a small guy. I'm 5'4 about 205. Broad chested, big legs and from my relationship with my wife gave me a bit of a gut. But I've noticed it kinda helps conceal it. I just wear my shorts, mostly causes I'm in FL, although right now pants lol, just a little lower on the front under my belly.
When I have to sit down anywhere car chair etc, I hike my them up to where my gun sits right in from of my gut and bam it's fine

Sent from my SM-N900V using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #26

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

AIWB is great for us old folks with creaky rotator cuffs. I can keep a m 10 snubbie or a j frame where I don't have to reach back and aggravate the shoulder. I am a fan for this reason; I can actually reach my weapon (no pun intended!).
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #27

Liked 2143 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I carry a J-Frame or a CM-9 in my front pocket in a proper trigger covering pocket holster. But the gun points strait down and is already below my crotch. I guess I could shoot myself in the foot. But that is not like shooting your pecker off.

I believe in the 4 rules of gun safety. One of them says to never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #28

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

One reason appendix carry doesn't suit me all the time is I don't carry my gun on campuses and other places that I will lose my permit at best, at worst I end up in the crossbar hotel if my gun is exposed or I have to use it. I am no angel. It has cost me thousands of dollars to have the right to carry a gun today. I am not going to lose my permit because I did something really stupid. I know every judge in town. I still can't get out of carrying a gun on a school campus. No one is going to stick their neck out for anyone that cavalier.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #29

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
One reason appendix carry doesn't suit me all the time is I don't carry my gun on campuses and other places that I will lose my permit at best, at worst I end up in the crossbar hotel if my gun is exposed or I have to use it. I am no angel. It has cost me thousands of dollars to have the right to carry a gun today. I am not going to lose my permit because I did something really stupid. I know every judge in town. I still can't get out of carrying a gun on a school campus. No one is going to stick their neck out for anyone that cavalier.

In my state carrying concealed with a permit in a posted property is a lowly misdemeanor for first offense,They do crank down on you if you make a habit out if it though. Not to say I would do such a thing,bc I wouldn't. I always do my best to just not patronize any business that chooses to post.

My reason for trying AIWB is that,while I'm not a "printaphobe" as some would call it,i do appreciate a gun/carry method combo that results in a good size gun being completely hidden, my old standby deep concealment system was a p938 in a reformed 1911 kingtuk that could be wore print free under fitted shirts, with the M&P9c I can carry appendix with double the capacity in a gun that I shoot better with.

While it's not as comfortable as that little Sig was.i do appreciate the sense of control I have over a gun oriented at the front of my waistband.

I feel the pros for appendix carry are many after carrying this way for a couple weeks now.

Nobody's gonna take your gun without you seeing it coming

Most people naturally draw in when attacked to protect themselves,putting them in a good position to either retain or use the gun very quickly

Faster draw

Don't have to worry about being knocked down and it being trapped between you and the ground.

The draw is much more discrete,no major movement of extremities to tip off a bad guy that your drawing the gun.

Much easier to access your gun while driving.

The cons are pretty much it seems to be harder to learn to wear comfortably and the fact that if you F up,you likely die.

That said,I'm very comfortable with my gun safety,and if I was afraid that everytime I handled my gun that it could magically go off without the help of a ND,I wouldn't be carrying that gun. And If I thought I risked a ND with my own gun handling I wouldn't be carrying a gun at all.

AIWB isn't for everyone,but it I see it definantely has it's merits,I'm not sure whether I will be carrying this way from now on though,or just when I need the extra insurance from printing.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Jstrong,

You make a very compelling argument.

Of course, I was already considering AIWB in the future.