Multiple CCW Permits ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Multiple CCW Permits ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Multiple CCW Permits ?

I already have my NC CCW permit, and its actually valid in three more states than the TX permit.

However I am considering going ahead and getting my TX permit while I'm here, for three main reasons:

- The permit itself is actually free for active duty military (except for the cost of the course)

- I feel like I am up to speed on TX's laws relating to firearms and carrying, but I'm sure I could learn something from the class

- When I was given my NC permit I was told that in order to carry in other states, I would have to have a proof of residency for NC on my body in order for it to be legal. However, he made it sound like this is a NC law. Would another state enforce this? I don't currently have residency in NC so I don't know if carrying here under their permit is legal or not.

Thoughts? Should I just go ahead and get the TX permit? Should I not worry about it?

Do any of you have multiple permits?

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #2

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

My home state does not require a permit to carry concealed or open. I travel many states shooting in competition. I have CC permits for 3 states.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1748 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 9555

JW, if you are eligable for the Texas permit, I say go for it. i have a NY pistol permit (allows me to posses and CC) and a PA permit which allows me to carry on self or in vehicle in PA. Multiple permits is a good thing IMO.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3143 Times on 1815 Posts
Likes Given: 2001

I have my PA & UT permits, having multiple permits is never a bad thing.

Besides the inconvenience & cost of the necessary course, there are potential positives beyond the obvious. You and GG&C will meet other like minded people in your area and get to see a new range/gun club + some poss. extra range time.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #5

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

About the no NC residence issue. Your permit from NC is NO GOOD now. So at this point you can carry if you meet the states laws that you are in. NC permit is junk now. No different with your old NC drivers license.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I already have my NC CCW permit, and its actually valid in three more states than the TX permit.

However I am considering going ahead and getting my TX permit while I'm here, for three main reasons:

- The permit itself is actually free for active duty military (except for the cost of the course)

- I feel like I am up to speed on TX's laws relating to firearms and carrying, but I'm sure I could learn something from the class

- When I was given my NC permit I was told that in order to carry in other states, I would have to have a proof of residency for NC on my body in order for it to be legal. However, he made it sound like this is a NC law. Would another state enforce this? I don't currently have residency in NC so I don't know if carrying here under their permit is legal or not.

Thoughts? Should I just go ahead and get the TX permit? Should I not worry about it?

I say go for it.

By the way...when did you get out of California and how does it feel?

Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
Ruger SR22

Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

I'm working on getting my AZ permit.You don't have to be a resident of AZ.Only costs $60.If you are interested,call the AZ DPS and they will send you the packet with the application and fingerprint cards.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm in Florida and have a Florida CWP. Florida also offers non-resident permits. IIRC, the Florida permit has the most reciprocity. I've heard Utah and Arizona are good ones to have too.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I'm in Florida and have a Florida CWP. Florida also offers non-resident permits. IIRC, the Florida permit has the most reciprocity. I've heard Utah and Arizona are good ones to have too.
Actually I was looking into what the best permits were last night. NC's permit is not accepted in I think 13 states. Utah, Florida, and Texas are not accepted in I believe 15-16 states. I didn't look into Arizona. The only problem with NC is I don't think they offer a non-residency permit.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 418

I have CC in Maine and New Hampshire none required in Vermont and what free man wants to go to Massachusetts?
So I guess I'm good.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

vincent Likes This