Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Multiple CCW Permits ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/multiple-ccw-permits-100859/)

JW357 11-27-2013 04:17 AM

Multiple CCW Permits ?

I already have my NC CCW permit, and its actually valid in three more states than the TX permit.

However I am considering going ahead and getting my TX permit while I'm here, for three main reasons:

- The permit itself is actually free for active duty military (except for the cost of the course)

- I feel like I am up to speed on TX's laws relating to firearms and carrying, but I'm sure I could learn something from the class

- When I was given my NC permit I was told that in order to carry in other states, I would have to have a proof of residency for NC on my body in order for it to be legal. However, he made it sound like this is a NC law. Would another state enforce this? I don't currently have residency in NC so I don't know if carrying here under their permit is legal or not.

Thoughts? Should I just go ahead and get the TX permit? Should I not worry about it?

Do any of you have multiple permits?

nitestalker 11-27-2013 04:31 AM

My home state does not require a permit to carry concealed or open. I travel many states shooting in competition. I have CC permits for 3 states. :)

kfox75 11-27-2013 05:38 AM

JW, if you are eligable for the Texas permit, I say go for it. i have a NY pistol permit (allows me to posses and CC) and a PA permit which allows me to carry on self or in vehicle in PA. Multiple permits is a good thing IMO.

eatmydust 11-27-2013 06:24 AM

I have my PA & UT permits, having multiple permits is never a bad thing.

Besides the inconvenience & cost of the necessary course, there are potential positives beyond the obvious. You and GG&C will meet other like minded people in your area and get to see a new range/gun club + some poss. extra range time.

hardluk1 11-27-2013 02:47 PM

About the no NC residence issue. Your permit from NC is NO GOOD now. So at this point you can carry if you meet the states laws that you are in. NC permit is junk now. No different with your old NC drivers license.

mikemc 11-27-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1442105)
I already have my NC CCW permit, and its actually valid in three more states than the TX permit.

However I am considering going ahead and getting my TX permit while I'm here, for three main reasons:

- The permit itself is actually free for active duty military (except for the cost of the course)

- I feel like I am up to speed on TX's laws relating to firearms and carrying, but I'm sure I could learn something from the class

- When I was given my NC permit I was told that in order to carry in other states, I would have to have a proof of residency for NC on my body in order for it to be legal. However, he made it sound like this is a NC law. Would another state enforce this? I don't currently have residency in NC so I don't know if carrying here under their permit is legal or not.

Thoughts? Should I just go ahead and get the TX permit? Should I not worry about it?

I say go for it.

By the way...when did you get out of California and how does it feel?

WillWork4Ammo 11-27-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1442105)

I'm working on getting my AZ permit.You don't have to be a resident of AZ.Only costs $60.If you are interested,call the AZ DPS and they will send you the packet with the application and fingerprint cards.

1911love 11-27-2013 06:58 PM

I'm in Florida and have a Florida CWP. Florida also offers non-resident permits. IIRC, the Florida permit has the most reciprocity. I've heard Utah and Arizona are good ones to have too.

JW357 11-27-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1442651)
I'm in Florida and have a Florida CWP. Florida also offers non-resident permits. IIRC, the Florida permit has the most reciprocity. I've heard Utah and Arizona are good ones to have too.

Actually I was looking into what the best permits were last night. NC's permit is not accepted in I think 13 states. Utah, Florida, and Texas are not accepted in I believe 15-16 states. I didn't look into Arizona. The only problem with NC is I don't think they offer a non-residency permit.

Pasquanel 11-27-2013 07:49 PM

I have CC in Maine and New Hampshire none required in Vermont and what free man wants to go to Massachusetts?
So I guess I'm good.