Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Mousegun for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
What about the new Ruger LCP? They are tiny! .380, 7 shot and I've been told dependable.

If anyone has experience with the Ruger I'd like to hear.

Also, I use a Beretta mod. 84. I like it alot. The mod 86 (?) has a single stack and is narrower if the 84 is too wide.
I'm probably not the best one to ask. The trigger on my LCP broke after about 30 rounds. Here is a link with pics which shows the broken part.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-guns/49419-ruger-lcp-reports-broken-trigger-mechanism-warning-lcp-owners.html

Ruger sent me a prepaid label and I sent it back to them, then I got caught in the whole recall issue. Since they already have it, they are going to do all the recall work before they send it back to me. The problem is that they are still waiting for the parts to be manufactured. They have had it over a month and I have still heard nothing from them. I called once and they said they expected the parts in a couple of weeks. I've been without it for over 5 weeks now, which is very annoying for a brand new gun.

All that being said, when I get it back I expect it to be a good reliable gun. Ruger makes quality firearms (even if their fit and finish sometimes leaves a bit to be desired) and stand behind them.

I got tired of waiting for it to come back and went out and bought a Bersa Thunder 380CC (Concealed Carry model). It is larger and heavier than the LCP, but still very carryable and concealable. Everyone I know that has one just loves it, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by argyle; 11-24-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Many, if not most, veteran gunners believe the .32 and/or .380 are not sufficient for self defense. Many, myself included, believe the minimum handgun for self defense should be a .38 special or 9mm. We often hear stories about the number of people who get killed with .25, .32, .380's, but how long does it take them to bleed out and die? Usually it takes minutes. How much damage can a doped up violent career criminal do in a matter of minutes?

The idea of self defense is not necessarily to kill, but to stop aggression, which takes a bigger, hard hitting, expanding bullet. More often than not, several of them. Pistols are poor people stoppers, but they are easier to carry and conceal than rifles and shotguns.

My primary carry caliber is .45 apc, but I carry a S&W lightweight J-frame .38 (642) very comfortably in my pants pocket, as a back-up gun, on duty and as a primary gun off duty, in the summertime. With modern SD ammo, the .38 should do the job and serve you well.

My opinion. I don't know these things because I read them in a book.

I have to agree with pioneer. My primary carry weapon is my kimber pro carry but I also carry a lightweight S&W 642 Lady Smith 5 shot. Perfect concealability and great reliability.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp