mouse/pocket 22? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > mouse/pocket 22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2499 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 1946

I've been hanging in the cut, watching

for a nice little 22LR.

I figure if I'm going to step down past

9mm, I might as well go really small...

Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #22

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
When I retired in the 80's I picked up a Baretta 21A. I carried a lot for 15 years. It was nice looking and grip size for that little .22 was perfect. It was very light and a pleasure to carry. The only problem with it was that it wasn't dependable enough for carry. It was fine for plinking at cans, or targets, but too undependable for self defense. I should've known better with my experience in LE to not have carried it after seeing it fail to fire on a number of occasions. That was a very big mistake and not smart on my part.

It always functioned well with Federal high velocity ammo, but I always had the concern in the back of my mind that it would fail when I needed it most. In addition that gun hasn't any extractor to remove the shell casing and during an emergency if the round doesn't go off you just don't have the time to put something through the barrel to poke it out.

The .22 is the most unreliable calibre there is and the added disadvantage of not being able to eject a bad round just makes it almost suicidal to carry in the role of a defense weapon unless perhaps you're carrying it as a backup. I stepped up to the NAA .32 loaded with Federal Hydra Shok ammo ten years ago with no failure to feed, or fire anything I put through it. It is larger and heavier than the Baretta was, but it's still small and what's more important it's been very dependable so far. In addition that round can definately cause damage.
If I find this thing to fail at all without it being something I did wrong, then I too will come to the same conclusion, however for sake of safety of more than just myself I will stick with 22lr until it proves unworthy or invalid as an option. From there I'll go either 25 or 380 again.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #23

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Individuals must decide for themselves what to carry for self defense. If it's .22's that's just fine, but if .25's are preferred then may I recommend one like this Colt 1908. This one's been going strong for 95 years and has proven it's dependability. They've been liked in years past by both John Dillinger and even the military.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #24

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
When I retired in the 80's I picked up a Baretta 21A. I carried a lot for 15 years. It was nice looking and grip size for that little .22 was perfect. It was very light and a pleasure to carry. The only problem with it was that it wasn't dependable enough for carry. It was fine for plinking at cans, or targets, but too undependable for self defense. I should've known better with my experience in LE to not have carried it after seeing it fail to fire on a number of occasions. That was a very big mistake and not smart on my part.

It always functioned well with Federal high velocity ammo, but I always had the concern in the back of my mind that it would fail when I needed it most. In addition that gun hasn't any extractor to remove the shell casing and during an emergency if the round doesn't go off you just don't have the time to put something through the barrel to poke it out.

The .22 is the most unreliable calibre there is and the added disadvantage of not being able to eject a bad round just makes it almost suicidal to carry in the role of a defense weapon unless perhaps you're carrying it as a backup. I stepped up to the NAA .32 loaded with Federal Hydra Shok ammo ten years ago with no failure to feed, or fire anything I put through it. It is larger and heavier than the Baretta was, but it's still small and what's more important it's been very dependable so far. In addition that round can definately cause damage.
Mine is very reliable with cci stingers. But for a bug, if i had the money, a snub 38, or even a 32 derringer would be good. I do xarry the 21a only as a backup, or extreme deep conceal. A s&w 60 or ruger lcr or lcp woul be what i would want.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #25

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Taurus PT-22 is what the bobcat 21 shoulda been . pinky rest , Mag release in correct place. I loved my little pt

Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #26

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Funny how i like Taurus's copy of Berrattas 92 better than the actual gun it was modeled after

Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #27

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfacenelson View Post
Funny how i like Taurus's copy of Berrattas 92 better than the actual gun it was modeled after
Yep , a guy Im subbed to on youtube just did a side by side of the PT-92 and the 92 FS including range trip and he as well said the same thing.

Much to his surprise the 92fs shot well and was a good gun. But he picked the PT-92 as the best between the two

Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #28

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Yeah, I looked at the PT22 a while back, but DAO is no go for me!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #29

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I agree with the mag release. Can take or leave the Pinky rest. I dont like dao, i much prefer having that sa/da option. I also dont like sao, why im not a big fan of most 1911 designs.