Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   motorcycles and ccw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/motorcycles-ccw-49582/)

504fireMan 10-10-2011 04:25 AM

motorcycles and ccw

I'm new to this forum I'm a chp holder in Louisiana I ride a Harley and was wondering of ways to carry I have a kel tec pf9 and a glock 22 anyone have an option for me

rigjumpr 10-10-2011 05:40 AM

first, are you north of I10 or south? some may not be aware of why I ask, but as you know the heat and humidity . now for your question, have the same situation as you I have found an IWB (crossbreed) to wok very well and stays Concealed with just a tee shirt.

RecklessRegard 10-10-2011 05:45 AM

I had a pocket clip on my PF9. It was comfortable, and very concealed.

Second, I have a Crossbreed, and love it... That being said, I will be ordering my next iwb from Theis holsters. Theis makes an almost identical holster to Crossbreed, but they are considerably cheaper. Also, there have been some recent posts regarding Crossbreed slipping in quality.

fmj 10-10-2011 11:31 AM

I have a PF9 and use a IWB holster in the small of my back. In cooler weather i just put it the inner pocket of my riding jacket.

fireguy 10-10-2011 12:28 PM

There are leather vests that have concealed carry pockets inside available. I ride too and I think it would be very difficult to keep a handgun covered while out on the road. When I get my permit I am going to try the vest route, I usually wear one anyway.

nccinstaller 10-10-2011 12:58 PM

I dont know if ur state allows open carry but i use a fobus elite concealed with my glock 30 when i ride sometimes you can see a little bit of my gun but open carry is legal here so i dont worry if it slips out a little

504fireMan 10-10-2011 03:30 PM

I'm south of I 10 I use a desantis soft tuck I thank yall for the responses

EagleSix 10-10-2011 03:31 PM

When riding I carry left handed. Usually a G36 open carry, although times I will conceal.
http://tactrain.net/Ninja2.jpg
It would have to be an extreme situation when I would actually shoot from my bike, moving or stopped, but I have trained that way. Shooting left handed gives me control of the front brakes and throttle. I don't need the clutch lever for stopping, starting or changing gears. I usually carry left side hip holster in the 8-9 o'clock position. Training included shooting with riding gloves and helmet.

I can draw with my left hand from my right hand carry rig, normally. But trying to get it out when wearing tight leather and bent over the tank of a Ninja presents a challenge carrying left hand overcomes with ease. Although I normally carry right handed, I was born a lefty and shoot either hand without much difference.

A few years back, I came up on a group of riders pulled off and searching the field just off the road. I joined them. Turns out one of the kids took a low side and his Glock came out of the holster. He was fine, his bike was fine, his Glock was fine, but it took a dozen riders about 30 minutes to finally find his Glock tucked under a cactus! There were a few scratches on the rider, the bike and the Glock, and he learned a lesson about holster retention. Just something you might want to consider, if you haven't already thought about it, when selecting your carry method.

504fireMan 10-10-2011 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My setup for carry

Attachment 33710

fmj 10-10-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSix (Post 598058)
When riding I carry left handed. Usually a G36 open carry, although times I will conceal.
http://tactrain.net/Ninja2.jpg
It would have to be an extreme situation when I would actually shoot from my bike, moving or stopped, but I have trained that way. Shooting left handed gives me control of the front brakes and throttle. I don't need the clutch lever for stopping, starting or changing gears. I usually carry left side hip holster in the 8-9 o'clock position. Training included shooting with riding gloves and helmet.

I can draw with my left hand from my right hand carry rig, normally. But trying to get it out when wearing tight leather and bent over the tank of a Ninja presents a challenge carrying left hand overcomes with ease. Although I normally carry right handed, I was born a lefty and shoot either hand without much difference.

A few years back, I came up on a group of riders pulled off and searching the field just off the road. I joined them. Turns out one of the kids took a low side and his Glock came out of the holster. He was fine, his bike was fine, his Glock was fine, but it took a dozen riders about 30 minutes to finally find his Glock tucked under a cactus! There were a few scratches on the rider, the bike and the Glock, and he learned a lesson about holster retention. Just something you might want to consider, if you haven't already thought about it, when selecting your carry method.

Something that HAS crossed my mind on more than one occasion.