Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Most powerful rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

What, to your knowledge or in your experience or have you read, are the most powerful load manufacturers in the following calibers...

9mm
45acp

Plus P included...

DoubleTap
CorBon/Glaser
Buffalo Bore

What am I missing?

(Note, what I'm calling powerful is basic muzzle velocity and energy. If you have other ideas on that is be happy to hear them.)

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-02-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #2

There's the pre-fragmented stuff like halopoint and magsafe, but I just don't like the major decrease in bullet weight in order to obtain the extended velocities and energies.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

There a 4 actual, official +p cartridges- that is, for which a SAAMI spec exists. .38 Special, 9mm, .45 ACP, and ALL .38 Supers.

As such there is a max pressure load to still be a +P. So any maker has a ceiling limit on energy for those rounds. Go above it, no longer +P.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There a 4 actual, official +p cartridges- that is, for which a SAAMI spec exists. .38 Special, 9mm, .45 ACP, and ALL .38 Supers.

As such there is a max pressure load to still be a +P. So any maker has a ceiling limit on energy for those rounds. Go above it, no longer +P.
That was very helpful input, thanks c3!

I assume that would then put them in the +P+ realm..?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #5

I've noticed sort of a theme in my research. The Golden Sabers, Gold Dot, & Critical Duty types all have pretty much the same velocities and energies, but have increased bullet weight over standard pressures of least weight.

Whereas the Buffalo Bore, CorBon and DoubleTap shortly decrease bullet weight and significantly increase velocity and energy.

Just an observation, seems to be two different schools of thought on defensive function.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #6

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

My opinion is like this:

45ACP- for defensive ammo- load a hollow-point to the

least amount of powder which cycle my pistol's action.

The slower the larger bullet moves, the more time it's

going to have to mushroom, once it hits the body...

Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Look at total kinetic energy on target. It should be listed, that's what really matters.

The equation for it is
Kinetic Energy=Mass x Velocity^2 (squared)

Therefore, if you double the weight of the bullet, you get TWICE the energy.
If you double the velocity then you get 4 TIMES the energy.

Keep that in mind

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1308 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 604

BTB,

velocities and energies are only part of the equation when determining stopping power. While they are helpful in comparing rounds that have the same type of bullet, they can deceive someone on how well they stop.

The ability of a round to stop an aggressor is a combination of factors that is encompassed in the science of Terminal Ballistics. This is ballistic data encompassing the time the round enters and spends time in the body. Each type of round reacts differently and therefore affects the target differently.

Tissue disruption is the difference between the temporary stretch cavity and the permanent crush cavity. This can be effected by whether the round passes straight through, or mushrooms, dumping the majority of it's energy in a very short distance, or fragments, causing multiple crush and stretch cavities, albeit smaller.

Placement also comes into play, as trauma applied to vital organs or the spine can be immediately debilitating, even with minor effects. However, a round expending large amounts of energy and damaging massive amounts of tissues my still cause death only by hypovolemic shock (oxygen/blood loss to tissues) in minutes or hours if badly placed. I refer you to this article for a more advanced look at the subject.

So velocity and energy are important, but HOW the bullet utilizes the energy in the body is equally important as is initial placement. There are many, many facets to determining efficiency.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #9

Very interesting and great points. I think I'll do some more backyard ballistics with some of these rounds before I settle on any one.

I only recently started to question standard pressure because the federal jhp I've been carrying fail to fully mushroom from my gun in jug tests. The CorBon did great! I think I'm going to start with the high velocity stuff and work my way down.

I know milk jugs aren't the most accurate, but they're what I've got and without proper equipment or willing bodies, good enough.

I did find Hornady critical defense to be reliable in 45, perhaps, if I can find some, I'll try them in 9mm as well. Man what a pain all this is.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #10

So here's what my current testing has produced thus far, and why I'm inquiring further about ballistics.

forumrunner_20130501_222911.jpg

forumrunner_20130501_222937.jpg

forumrunner_20130501_222949.jpg

The larger round, fully mushroomed, on the left is Hornady Critical Defense FTX in 45acp, 185gr, from a 3.8" barrel. It performed consistently and reliably.

The smaller round to the right, Federal Premium Personal Defense in 9mm, 124gr, deformed and barely expanded at all, from a 3.4" barrel. It to performed consistently, but as you can see poorly! Not a one of the 20 completely mushroomed. Most did les than this and went straight through into the backstop.

I didn't maintain any of the CorBon I shot previously because it was before I realized I was going to really get into all this, but after seeing the poor results from the Federal, I knew I had to start. Will do the CorBon again along with some others out of sheer curiosity.

It must have to do with barrel length and velocity, perhaps bullet weight as well. In any case, here we go! Lol