Mom is blisfully unaware

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Mom is blisfully unaware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Ok guys so I was talking to my mom the other night I was over at my parents house visiting my mom because my dad is out of town on business,and I mentioned does dad tell you where he keeps his guns. Her response was oh ill never need those things. So I say at least come to the range with me so I can teach you how to use a gun and shoot properly since my dad has not taken her since 1984!!! Her response to this was I can't shoot those I'm to scared so I say what if some one breaks in and your home alone she says to me ill just run out the back...OMG are serious run out the back what if there's people out there what if there looking for a hostage or some one to rape!!!! Just just keeps repeating they won't seem that's enough they wont see me! Is there no hope for my mom? It seems like no matter what she's just willing to try and run away!

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7142 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8676

How old is your Mom? Tell her you love her and you want her to be safe. Try to get her to the range and tell her even if she never needs to use that knowledge, you and your Dad will rest easier knowing she could defend herself if she needs to.

motorheadwayne Likes This 
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2815 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 1639

gearhead - pardon me for making a judgement on your mother, I mean no disrespect. I think your mother is suffering from denial, after all, her experience (I think) is that she has lived this way, so far, and no harm has come to her.

I applaud your attempt to prepare her for the realities of our time. Please do not give up, but do not nag, when your father returns, logically and calmly explain your concerns for her safety and his. Speak with both of your parents about the need to support each other in a time of crisis.

Love and patience, and a little nudge has overcome many things.

Best of luck, your on the right track.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
How old is your Mom? Tell her you love her and you want her to be safe. Try to get her to the range and tell her even if she never needs to use that knowledge, you and your Dad will rest easier knowing she could defend herself if she needs to.
I appreciate your quick response My mom is 54 and works out everyday she looks 40 well that's what people tell her she is deff capable of handling a fire arm and she is 5,10 she can handle pretty much any kind of gun I'd think. Thanks for the advice

Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
gearhead - pardon me for making a judgement on your mother, I mean no disrespect. I think your mother is suffering from denial, after all, her experience (I think) is that she has lived this way, so far, and no harm has come to her.

I applaud your attempt to prepare her for the realities of our time. Please do not give up, but do not nag, when your father returns, logically and calmly explain your concerns for her safety and his. Speak with both of your parents about the need to support each other in a time of crisis.

Love and patience, and a little nudge has overcome many things.

Best of luck, your on the right track.
Your probably right lol she is in denial I'm just going to keep on trying to get her to the range I know if she gets comfortable with a fire arm shed be more inclined to defend herself

Last edited by gearhead396; 02-24-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7142 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8676

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
I appreciate your quick response My mom is 54 and works out everyday she looks 40 well that's what people tell her she is deff capable of handling a fire arm and she is 5,10 she can handle pretty much any kind of gun I'd think. Thanks for the advice
Well, if she's fit and athletic I think if you can get her to the range she'd LOVE the challenge of target shooting. It is a sport she'd enjoy, I'm sure. Ask her to just go to the range once with you. Tell her if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to go back. She's not going to like shooting.........she's going to LOVE shooting.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Well, if she's fit and athletic I think if you can get her to the range she'd LOVE the challenge of target shooting. It is a sport she'd enjoy, I'm sure. Ask her to just go to the range once with you. Tell her if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to go back. She's not going to like shooting.........she's going to LOVE shooting.
Ya I'm going to try and put it to her like a new challenge/sport not just you need to shoot this so you can protect your self but you should want to shoot to over come the challenge of a new hobbie and sport

Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7171 Times on 3925 Posts
Likes Given: 14542

Ever had a health nut try to convince you to exercise? Or a bible thumper plead with you to join a church? Some people just don't share our interest in guns. If you worry about your mother's safety when Dad is away, talk to her about it. Maybe a dog or alarm system would be a good compromise. Or invite her over or stay with her when she is alone.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396
Ok guys so I was talking to my mom the other night I was over at my parents house visiting my mom because my dad is out of town on business,and I mentioned does dad tell you where he keeps his guns. Her response was oh ill never need those things. So I say at least come to the range with me so I can teach you how to use a gun and shoot properly since my dad has not taken her since 1984!!! Her response to this was I can't shoot those I'm to scared so I say what if some one breaks in and your home alone she says to me ill just run out the back...OMG are serious run out the back what if there's people out there what if there looking for a hostage or some one to rape!!!! Just just keeps repeating they won't seem that's enough they wont see me! Is there no hope for my mom? It seems like no matter what she's just willing to try and run away!
Get your dad to take her to the range. My grandmother is the same way she ignores the rest of the family's advice but if my granddad tells her its gospel

Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #10

UPDATE so my mom finally agreed to learning and shooting last weekend I brought over a great article with all the gun safety rules and how to be a responsible hand gun owner. Also how you must respect a fire arm and what they can do before you even touch one. as well as diagrams of the parts of a semi auto and revolver. And the simple partsWe then moved on to the real guns handling them safely following all of the safety rules. Well at first she was so nervous at first I had to start her with a 1911 model air-soft lol but she got comfortable with that quicker than I thought she would. Next weekend we are off to the range and I think she will all have a good time. She is exited to shoot my new mp5 in 22 cause "it's in all those movies" lol thanks for the great advice everyone