Modifying a ccw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Modifying a ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Modifying a ccw

Iv herd that the lawyers can mess with you
I just had a thread and y'all were awesome I have on order a g30s
Thinking of night sights idk about a light trigger like a ghost 3.5 since there is no safety what's your input

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 658

i would shoot the snot out of it first to see what needs to be changed to your liking.. but how will you know what to change if you havent tried it first?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Agree withthe above. I have multiple Glocks. I have a model 17 that I put a 3.5 lb connector with reduced reset, but that pistol is primarily a range and competition gun. My model 19 and 26 have stock triggers, night sights, extended slide releases, extended mag releases that have been sanded a bit, and I stippled the grip of my 19. Anything that I have modded on it I can make a case that it gives me more positive control, of the gun, or increases my hit potential to avoid misses and reduce liability from a miss.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2783 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARlover View Post
Thinking of night sights idk about a light trigger like a ghost 3.5 since there is no safety what's your input
Okay, time to clear a misconception time.

A Glock does have safeties!

First, the lever in the trigger can be called a safety. It does not allow the trigger to pulled to release the shot unless it is depressed.

Second, there is a firing pin block that is not released unless the trigger is pulled.

Third, yes there is a third, That space between the ears is the most important safety of all. Use it and 99.9% of Glock accidents can be avoided.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mods can enhance a handgun or create a piece of junk.
But which mods are best?

You have to know exactly needs to be modded. And that knowledge is only obtained by shooting the snot out of it first.
One range session will not expose all areas.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 388 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
First, the lever in the trigger can be called a safety. It does not allow the trigger to pulled to release the shot unless it is depressed.
Is that not the same with most firearms. As for mods I think most handguns are have acceptable levels of accuracy and reliability without mods. Some people lighten the trigger for example, I think if someone is shooting at you the trigger pull could be 20 lbs and most people wouldn't notice.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Liked 143 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Why not just buy a gun you like in the first place and don't need to mod for your CCW?

I can understand buying a gun and customizing the heck out of it, just not for CCW. Find a gun that works in stock form. There are plenty to choose from.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Is that not the same with most firearms.
My comment was toward the Glock. Other firearms may have different forms to stop sear or trigger movement.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

In addition to all the above, whatever mods you make to the firearm, my advice is be able to make a compelling argument for why it was necessary in your case in order for you to be better equipped to defend your life with. Provided your Glock will be a defensive tool, of course.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5502 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

A good shoot is a good shoot. It doesn't matter if you used a 15 ton acme safe hanging on a rope or a rolling pin or a glock with night sights and a good trigger. If your going to trial you have bigger issues than a customized gun.

The gun in and of itself is not going to be causation of a murder trial. People in chicago use illegal firearms to defend themselves and get charged with gun possession not murder on defensive shoots.

No one has ever been charged with murder solely because of a modified gun on a justifide defensive shoot.

However, there have been people who have negligently discharged highly and poorly modified guns injured or killed someone and the gun itself was used as evidence of depraved indifference... I think that's where the myth stems

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This