Military member in NC considering applying for VA Non Resident CCH
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Military member in NC considering applying for VA Non Resident CCH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Military member in NC considering applying for VA Non Resident CCH

I am a member of the military stationed in NC and a resident of IL. I had a state ID for NC made so I could obtain two pistol purchase permits. My question is if I obtain a non Resident CCH from VA will I be legal here in NC and every state that recognizes VA CCH licenses? Also will I be able to purchase pistols using the license here in NC? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

How are you gonna get a va chl do you do bussiness in va that make no sense your stationed in NC from IL, why and how would you get a VA chl

Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

VA has non Resident licenses you can apply for. My guess is certain states don't recognize certain states licenses so some people have to apply for Non Resident licenses for other states because they travel in that state. The reason I'm considering going this route is it will be a bit cheaper and a lot easier because NC requires a 9 hr class.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

NC recongnizes a non resident VA CHL

Last edited by woody63m; 02-07-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Be sure to check the NC rules. If you are considered a NC resident (NC State ID), NC may not recognize the VA CHL. This can vary from state to state. I've read of cases where a person could get a non-resident license either cheaper or easier than in their home state, but then found out their home state would not honor it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. It's been a general PIA just to get my pistol. Being military it kind of made me mad but I understand the laws and head ache exist for a reason. Im just looking for a easier way to get a concealed license so eventually I can conceal carry when I get a weapon that allows me to do that; but for now at least in NC the laws are really iffy about having it in the vehicle loaded, unloaded, packed away etc. Just want to get a ccw to carry my weapon without having it layed out on my passenger seat (NC has open carry allowed except in certain townships) and just not worry about a jumpy LEO or one that wants to get me on a technicality that I'm not even aware of.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Being military, the ATF considers that you are a resident of the state you are permanently assigned to (your duty station state).
But that is only per the ATF and does not have to be recognized by other agencies.

Most military are restricted from bringing a CCW on a military base in my immediate area (I live near a couple of Navy bases).

It is still the individual's responsibility to know the state laws on handgun carry in a vehicle. Some states have the "Two move" rule. If it takes two moves (i.e. (1)open the glove box, (2)grab the gun), you can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. If it is available in one move (i.e. on the seat, under the seat, on the console), then it is a "no-no".

Then comes the "Castle Doctrine", which opens a whole bunch of things.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I suppose I'm wrong,but I thought every state on the east coast excluding Md,NY,Nj, Mass and CT had a reciprecal agreement when it comes to CCW. I could be wrong that's happened once or twice in my life lol. But as stated there may be jurisdictional laws I'm not aware of. Come on national right to carry law. An option you could take advantage of is to call the sate police and pose this question to them. If you do get a name and badge # from them if they're honest it may help if ur sinking

Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #9

Hello I'm a ccw holder. And vary. Knowledgable to the law and we our doing a class so. If u wood like to emll me at firedawg223@ gmill.com I well geve u my number