Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > michigan - mental illness question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Michigan is strict like that.I almost was denied a handgun purchase permit outright.When I was a minor,me and my mom got into a quarrel and I pushed her,I got charged with a spousal abuse misdemeanor,and if I didn't do anything like that again within 1 year,the charge would be dismissed.Well,12 years later I got denied at the sheriffs office because of it,I felt so small,but they called the courts themselves,and found out,"oh yeah,this was to be dropped 11 years ago".So the courts instantly ran it and within minutes it was in the system and giving me the OK to purchase a handgun.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm not trying to be a smart arse (ok I am), but you got charged with SPOUSAL abuse on your MOTHER?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr203 View Post
But Michigan is also home of the flashing red signal at left turns, and I still don't completely understand where that came from
I really dislike the yellow flashing arrows. (They mean the same thing as flashing red, but the arrow seems to indicate you can go while it's yellow... but NOPE!)

As for mental illness, CPL restrictions state this:

in part, MCL 28.422
(g) The person is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.

in part, MCL 28.425b
(d) A statement by the applicant regarding whether he or she has a history of mental illness that would disqualify him or her under subsection (7)(j) to (l) from receiving a license to carry a concealed pistol, and authorizing the concealed weapon licensing board to access the mental health records of the applicant relating to his or her mental health history. The applicant may request that information received by the concealed weapon licensing board under this subdivision be reviewed in a closed session. If the applicant requests that the session be closed, the concealed weapon licensing board shall close the session only for purposes of this subdivision. The applicant and his or her representative have the right to be present in the closed session. Medical records and personal identifying information received by the concealed weapon licensing board under this subdivision is confidential, is not subject to disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246, and shall not be disclosed to any person except for purposes of this act or for law enforcement purposes.

Here's the important part that defines their legal wording for a mental illness:
(c) "Mental illness" means a substantial disorder of thought or mood that significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life, and includes, but is not limited to, clinical depression.

If you have been diagnosed of ANY mental illness, you must say yes on the form. You will be called before the gun board for an interview at which time you should explain what the mental illness is and why it does not fall under their definition as a prohibiting mental illness in regards to CPL eligibility. If they decline it, appeal it.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Supporting Member

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

SO... Where did WELDEL7 go?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #15

Yep, the Michigan egilature had trouble getting the "must issue" CCW law passed; so they naturally played "Pontius Pilate" and sold disabled people out in order to satisfy the screaming mobs.

Of course it's 100% unconstitutional-- but unconstitutional laws are also 100% VALID, until overturned by the Supreme Court; and if you don't have a million dollars to fight it, then you're sca-rewed.

Last edited by ThomasAnderson; 10-10-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Michigan is strict like that.I almost was denied a handgun purchase permit outright.When I was a minor,me and my mom got into a quarrel and I pushed her,I got charged with a spousal abuse misdemeanor,and if I didn't do anything like that again within 1 year,the charge would be dismissed.Well,12 years later I got denied at the sheriffs office because of it,I felt so small,but they called the courts themselves,and found out,"oh yeah,this was to be dropped 11 years ago".So the courts instantly ran it and within minutes it was in the system and giving me the OK to purchase a handgun.

Ok, so could you still purchase a handgun, even though they classify you as "diagnosed with a mental illness?"

I just want to know, because I'm also classified this way, and want to purchase one also. I'm trying to find out.
Thanks so much.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #17

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Ok, so could you still purchase a handgun, even though they classify you as "diagnosed with a mental illness?"

I just want to know, because I'm also classified this way, and want to purchase one also. I'm trying to find out.
Thanks so much.
the question "have a diagnosed mental illness reguardless of being treated" is ONLY on the concealed weapons permit application.The ONLY questions on the HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT ask if you have been INVOLUNTARILY committed to an institution.So if you haven't been committed,you can completely and honestly answer the questions,and have your purchase permit in minutes.They changed a few things in Michigan this year,there is no longer a wait time to get your permit.You literally go to the sheriffs office,or wherever in your county they give them out,slap 6 bucks down and your ID,answer a 10 question paper on gun safety that a 5 year old could answer,and they run your background check,Takes less than 5 minutes,and they print you off a 4 section permit and your done!Take the permit to the gun store,buy a gun,the gunstore keeps 1 section,you keep 1 section,and the other 2 you take back to where you got the permit(sherriffs office) and they keep 1 section and send the last section to the state police.Done,Happy shooting!