Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Michigan CPL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Michigan CPL

Going Sunday morning for the eight hour class. Can't wait to get it over

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It shouldn't be that bad. Most of the CPL instructors I've met have been really decent folks. You might even have a good time! Best of luck.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Good luck, I think your county is one of the worst in the state for processing. Mich Gun Owners has a couple of different threads tracking time to issue.

Take the time to TRULY learn the law. The states laws are screwy, and even the best CPL instructors get it screwed up.

Here's a couple of questions for your instructor - Can I carry in a school? The legal answer is yes, as long as you open carry with a CPL
How many loaded firearms can I legal carry with my CPL? The answer is as many as you want. I've heard the answer no more than two by so many "experts" it's ridiculous. That answer makes ZERO sense, because their argument is always the license says pistol. Sorry, if that's your argument, then the correct answer is 1 But, further reading of the law states the plural applies to the singular. There's an attorney chomping at the bit waiting for someone, anyone to get charged with multiple weapons to put the argument to bed.
An my favorite, can a magazine separated from the firearm in the same case contain ammo? For some reason many believe it can not. Partially because the DNR says it can not, but they can't write law.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Had a good time in my class now i have to get the application for my CPL and see if and when i get it. The instructor was a cool guy always answered questions for anyone who asked. And we had a district attorney come in and give us all the laws about carrying. And gave us his personal number and e-mail if we had anymore questions, i thought that was cool. Going to get the application tomorrow morning. I can get it at my local police station and have to drop it of at my county police station. Any one in Kent county have a hard time getting their CPL?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

CPL in Michigan is very easy to get since it is a too issue state. Basically if you show up with a training certificate, do the paperwork, and have a clean record you should receive it in about a month. In my town you had to go to the monthly gun board meeting and sit in front of the board.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

I droped off the application and had to get finger printed and the clerk and the guy at the sheriffs station said three to four months. And that seems a long time. But in my papers it says they have 45 days to approve or deny. So why are they saying three to four months?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
I droped off the application and had to get finger printed and the clerk and the guy at the sheriffs station said three to four months. And that seems a long time. But in my papers it says they have 45 days to approve or deny. So why are they saying three to four months?
Because your county doesn't believe you should have your CPL. There's a bill that was supposed to be passing through the state legislature that would allow you to go to any county and get your state license. I've lost track of where it is in the process. As I said earlier, your county is apparently now the worst in the state, exceeding Wayne county and their stupidity.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I'd have to agree I live in Isabella county and I turned mine in around July 15th and got my letter for the gun board for the first week of August. It might be that they only have meetings every few months? Do you live in a smaller county?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #9

I live in Kent county.. I will just have to wait and see. Me and my oldlady put our applications in today. But Im wondering if the book says 45 day max, why are they saying three to four months? Thanks. Also they said it will be mailed. And i don't have to go in front of the gun board unless they deny my application.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine took 5 weeks from Oakland County.