MI Open Carry Rules - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

MI Open Carry Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I'm sure that most Cities, Townships, and Counties have similar ordinances. The main reason having them is for safety of the citizens and to reduce the amount of guns in their localities. imagine without the ordinances in place, it would look just like it did in the old wild west with everyone having a gun strapped to their thigh. I lived in Mi for 53 years before moving to Fla. and I don't ever remember being able to open carry anywhere except when hunting.

I personally don't like the idea of open carry but I do encourage everyone who is eligible to have a CCW permit to get one and carry concealed all the time.

If you plan to open carry a weapon, I would first go online and check the local ordinances to see if it's legal wherever you might be going.

The way laws are written now (majority not absolute), open carry is a right and concealed carry is a privelage. I hope your not saying it should not be allowed. Thats a slippery slope. And your statement that it will be the wild west again, thats what they said about Florida enacting Shall-Issue back in 1987. That didnt happen, and it is a that crime went down, mostly violent crime. Open carry helps stop crime, has a quicker draw time, and helps desensetizing stygmas with guns in public. Open and concealed both have pros and cons, but open carry makes it more visable and more publicly acceptable. Plus it makes cops actually learn guns laws after they get repremanded for illegal detainment and seizure.

No offense to cops that know the laws, but there are still some cops that think only police and military should carry.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
Why would you say it makes you a target? The average person would think im a undercover cop and if youre going to rob someone it would seem that you would pick someone who is not armed.
Good luck with that. Seriously, if I were looking to rob a store and an open carry guy was in line...*pop* behind the ear and I have an extra weapon. Average citizens don't go around robbing. Ganstas don't care if the guy with the overt gun is cop or not. Plus, why on earth would an undercover cop carry openly. Kinda makes them not 'undercover' anymore.

Bottom line, know the laws of where you live. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in any court in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #13

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
The way laws are written now (majority not absolute), open carry is a right and concealed carry is a privelage. I hope your not saying it should not be allowed. Thats a slippery slope. And your statement that it will be the wild west again, thats what they said about Florida enacting Shall-Issue back in 1987. That didnt happen, and it is a that crime went down, mostly violent crime. Open carry helps stop crime, has a quicker draw time, and helps desensetizing stygmas with guns in public. Open and concealed both have pros and cons, but open carry makes it more visable and more publicly acceptable. Plus it makes cops actually learn guns laws after they get repremanded for illegal detainment and seizure.

No offense to cops that know the laws, but there are still some cops that think only police and military should carry.
I said in my post that "I personally don't like the idea of open carry" I didn't say it should not be allowed. I'm going to add this, "I think it is totally stupid for someone even if they are carrying lawfully, to go anywhere with a gun carried openly, unless they are hunting. Is open carry a "badge of courage"? For years the standard practice was to carry concealed, now a minority of people want to push the issue and I think it will cause a lot of problems for every person who carrys a gun in a lawful manner.

I'd like to see you produce the stat's on open carry help's stop crime. Where were the survey(s) done?

And public acceptance? You think that when I'm or my wife or kids are in a store or bank and some guy/gal comes walking in with a gun on their hip that everyone is not going to wonder if there is going to be a problem. Get real, it isn't acceptable.

Do you want to be stopped by every cop to check if you are carrying lawfully? No one has a magic wand to let them know the weapon is being carried lawfully so the only way to find out is to stop the person and check. That's what will happen. Pretty soon every Tom, Dick, & Harry will go through the same thing then cry that they are being harrassed or discriminated against.

That's my stand, you have your stand, and I'm not going to argue it any further.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 02-24-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added sentence

Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
I said in my post that "I personally don't like the idea of open carry" I didn't say it should not be allowed. I'm going to add this, "I think it is totally stupid I think its totaly stupid for you to think its totaly stupid. for someone even if they are carrying lawfully, to go anywhere with a gun carried openly, unless they are hunting. Is open carry a "badge of courage. For years the standard practice was to carry concealedCCW has been the norm since the '80s, late 19th early 20th century you were concidered evil if you concealed carry back then they thought only criminals would try to hide there intent. now a minority of people want to push the issue and I think it will cause a lot of problems for every person who carrys a gun in a lawful manner.

I'd like to see you produce the stat's on open carry help's stop crime. Where were the survey(s) done? The act of carrying a gun period makes the crime rate go down

And public acceptance? You think that when I'm or my wife or kids are in a store or bank and some guy/gal comes walking in with a gun on their hip that everyone is not going to wonder if there is going to be a problem. Get real, it isn't acceptable. Again, the more people open carry, the more the stygma gets broken down. youtube New Hampshire and open carry, you'll see that they are making progress on this.

Do you want to be stopped by every cop to check if you are carrying lawfully? No one has a magic wand to let them know the weapon is being carried lawfully so the only way to find out is to stop the person and check. That's what will happen. Pretty soon every Tom, Dick, & Harry will go through the same thing then cry that they are being harrassed or discriminated against. If you're carrying and a cop sees you printing do you want to be patted down and have your gun taken and have it checked in a database? If you get pulled over for speeding and they run a check and it comes up that you have a permit, do you want to be ordered out of the car, hands on the roof, and gun seized to make sure you are 100% legal. NO you dont, cops need to realize that OC is legal in a lot of states, and that they are not the end all be all in law enforcement and personal security.

That's my stand, you have your stand, and I'm not going to argue it any further.
You have your opinion, I respect that, I really do. But your treating it how people used to look at those with tattoos and face and body piercings. Taboo in the past, socially acceptable now. Its the same as the homosexuality move in the '70s-'80s. Highly taboo, but now more socially acceptable. I personally dont agree with homosexuality, but I dont go out there and gay bash.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by michigan0626; 02-24-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #15

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

It is funny to hear a poster say that Detroit law supercedes state law.I just watched a video of an open carry advocate go before the Warren,MI city council arguing that many open carriers were being hassled by police.The city council agreed that city ordinances cannot supercede state law on open carry,and that if open carry is legal by the state,it is legal everywhere.The person who went before the city board won their case.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
In Detroit, NO. Covered in Section 38-58-10. Detroit's Firearms Ordinance's are not preempted by State Law. In other words whatever Detroit enacts as unlawful, you cannot claim that the State law allows you to do what you want to do without penalty.

ARTICLE X. WEAPONS*

(Code 1964, 66-4-2; Ord. No. 25-86, 1, 11-26-86)
Cross references: Traffic and motor vehicles, Ch. 55.
Except, Michigan's pre-emption law is later than the cases you've cited. Detroit does not trump state pre-emption, I'm very happy to say.

Quote:
123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
No exceptions listed.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Good luck with that. Seriously, if I were looking to rob a store and an open carry guy was in line...*pop* behind the ear and I have an extra weapon. Average citizens don't go around robbing. Ganstas don't care if the guy with the overt gun is cop or not. Plus, why on earth would an undercover cop carry openly. Kinda makes them not 'undercover' anymore.

Bottom line, know the laws of where you live. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in any court in the US.
Good luck getting into position to pop the guy behind the ear. When I OC, I'm watching anyone and everyone.

And a good example of what really happens when OCers are around has occured. Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw