MI Open Carry Rules
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > MI Open Carry Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MI Open Carry Rules

Is it legal to open carry a pistol (or any gun) in Michigan without a CPL??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I am NOT a legal guru or lawyer by any means. I did however find the following information on opencarry.org. You may want to call local law enforcement and/or the highway patrol for more information.

Michigan is a traditional open carry state. Open carry is more common in rural areas. You may NOT open carry in a car without a permit. However, Michigan recognizes the resident permits of all 50 states.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

I believe Mi is an open carry state. however there are rules. You cannot just show up to a bar thinking it is ok since it is an open carry. You will have to look up the rules. Michigan State Police website should be a good resource for you. Remember even if you carry a pistol on your side or leg and you put a jacket on that is slightly covering it, it can be viewed as conceiled. It is very easy to conceil a pistol with out intentionally doing so. Keep that in mind. You also cannot have a loaded weapon in the vehicle unless you have a cpl license as well. You have to have the gun in a case, locked preferably, unloaded and out of reach of anyone in the car. If you don't you will have some stiff explaining to do if you get pulled over.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Open carry is legal here in Michigan.There are a few rules but the biggest one is that you cannot sit in or drive a vehicle with a gun.You also have to be aware of what branishing is and make sure not to do that.Pointing or waving a gun around is only legal when hunting,when target shooting,when at a gun store,and in the act of self defense.Keep in mind that without a CCW you must open carry on other's private property also.Only on your OWN property or home or your own business can you conceal without a CCW.Open carry is also prohibited on a motorcycle,even when exposed because the law makes no differencial between a vehicle as whether being a car or bike.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

O ok. Im just checking because I dont want to get in trouble. I caught a misdemeanor case and have to wait 8 years here in MI to get a CCW permit. Here in Detroit, and I live in the inner city not the suburbs, the police are cracking down on folks carrying guns and I know if I open carry I will almost certainly be hassled by the cops.

Now what if I am open carrying and the cops dont know its legal and want to arrest me anyway, then what?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
O ok. Im just checking because I dont want to get in trouble. I caught a misdemeanor case and have to wait 8 years here in MI to get a CCW permit. Here in Detroit, and I live in the inner city not the suburbs, the police are cracking down on folks carrying guns and I know if I open carry I will almost certainly be hassled by the cops.

Now what if I am open carrying and the cops dont know its legal and want to arrest me anyway, then what?
Don't know. Not sure why anyone would want to open carry in a rough part of town, but to each their own. Seems like open carry in gangsta territory makes you a target for death and someone else getting your gun.

I do know that if the cops arrest someone for something that is not a crime, then they will not be prosecuted. Police enforce laws, they don't charge and prosecute in a court of law.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Don't know. Not sure why anyone would want to open carry in a rough part of town, but to each their own. Seems like open carry in gangsta territory makes you a target for death and someone else getting your gun.

I do know that if the cops arrest someone for something that is not a crime, then they will not be prosecuted. Police enforce laws, they don't charge and prosecute in a court of law.
Why would you say it makes you a target? The average person would think im a undercover cop and if youre going to rob someone it would seem that you would pick someone who is not armed.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Is it legal to open carry a pistol (or any gun) in Michigan without a CPL??
In Detroit, NO. Covered in Section 38-58-10. Detroit's Firearms Ordinance's are not preempted by State Law. In other words whatever Detroit enacts as unlawful, you cannot claim that the State law allows you to do what you want to do without penalty.

ARTICLE X. WEAPONS*

Sec. 38-10-8. Drawing, handling, etc., of guns in public.
No person, except a peace officer in the discharge of his duty or a citizen in self-defense, shall draw, handle or flourish a revolver, pistol or other gun in any public street, avenue, alley, public park or other public space.
(Code 1964, § 66-1-7)

Sec. 38-10-13. Exceptions.
This ordinance does not apply to the following:
(1) Peace officers, as defined in section 38-10-1(l).
(2) Any person summoned by a peace officer to assist in the performance of the officer's duties and to whom the peace officer supplies a handgun and ammunition.
(3) Corrections officers, as defined in section 38-10-1(c).
(4) Military personnel, as defined in section 38-10-1(g).
(5) Security personnel, as defined in section 38-10-1(o).
(6) Agents and investigators of the Michigan Legislative Investigating Commission, authorized by the commission to carry weapons, and investigators of a county prosecutor's office, if they are authorized by the appointing authority to carry weapons.
(7) Persons specifically authorized to possess firearms under federal or state law.
(8) Licensed gun collectors.
(9) Persons transporting handguns to any person authorized to possess a handgun under this section, provided that the handguns are in an inoperable condition.
(Ord. No. 12-89, § 1, 7-19-89)

Sec. 38-10-58. Transportation in vehicles; carrying in public.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by him or her, contrary to the State Concealed Weapons Licensing law. Except for a pistol carried or transported lawfully under the State Concealed Weapons Licensing Law, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry a firearm on any public street or in a public place unless it is unloaded and in a case, or to transport or have in or upon any vehicle occupied by him or her any firearm unless the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and is taken down, enclosed in a case, carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle or inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(Code 1964, § 66-4-2; Ord. No. 25-86, § 1, 11-26-86)
Cross references: Traffic and motor vehicles, Ch. 55.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #9

So open carry is just illegal in Detroit????

Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
So open carry is just illegal in Detroit????
I'm sure that most Cities, Townships, and Counties have similar ordinances. The main reason having them is for safety of the citizens and to reduce the amount of guns in their localities. imagine without the ordinances in place, it would look just like it did in the old wild west with everyone having a gun strapped to their thigh. I lived in Mi for 53 years before moving to Fla. and I don't ever remember being able to open carry anywhere except when hunting.

I personally don't like the idea of open carry but I do encourage everyone who is eligible to have a CCW permit to get one and carry concealed all the time.

If you plan to open carry a weapon, I would first go online and check the local ordinances to see if it's legal wherever you might be going.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.