Man sues over arrest for open carry - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Man sues over arrest for open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
It's not until we are seen as intelligent, responsible, law abiding, grown up individuals that will can expect the support we so desperately need from our fellow Americans. Big freaking deal if the law doesn't say you have to so an id, what does it hurt. A little cooperation goes a long way, and puts us in a much better light to gain support about the more important things. Also if things didn't go right it put you in a much better chance of winning in court.
If you believe that than you have completely misunderstood the actions and events of the anti-gun crowd for the past 50yrs or more. Pro 2A supporters and gun owners could be Einstein's for all they care because gun control is not about reducing crime, or saving people from harm, or protecting children, or stopping terrorism ... it is about control. Take away 2A and the people have no means to retain any of their other inalienable rights. History is chock full of examples where gun control has been enacted and the people have suffered under the oppression of Gov't (not to mention the criminals who can act with impunity).

Right now the Obama administration is pushing forward with the anti gun crowds agenda through the UN Arms Trade treaty - http://www.ammoland.com/2012/07/02/u-n-arms-trade-treaty-drafting-starts-this-week/#axzz1zavtSdNk. Our rights are crystal clear - we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and the right keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Anything less than that is tyranny

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD
rjd3282 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executiveprotect View Post
Really? Lol check this out yes im a rent a cop of sorts kinda on the high end, but when assigned to a person or place I have the given authority of a sheriff's deputy 100% so go ahead and give the rent a cop crap i bet you catch a charge !
So you are a sworn deputy of the Sheriff's Dept? There's a big difference between a Sheriff's Deputy and the wanna be mall ninja at the local shopping center who doesn't know jack diddly about the law (and no, they do not have the the same authority as a Sheriff's Deputy)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
Not all security guards are mall ninjas at the local mall, my company I work for has at least 8 department of homeland security sites. 6 power plants, the control center for the plants, and a chemical company. Walk across any of these parking lots with a weapon and you will get a first class ticket to club fed.
That's true but in context of this thread and topic, the security officer was working in a public park where OC is legal, not a classified installation

it was stated earlier but brushed off so I will repeat it - apples to apples folks. Read the original post and read the article linked. Lets not muddy this up with off topic rants or talk about the impending invasion of space wolves that makes all our bickering moot

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Co-workers brother works for a local police department. The co-worker and I had several conversations about legal open carry. The co-worker was informed by his brother that anybody that open carried in his city would be at a minimum hand cuffed and taken in, if for no other reason then to send a message that they would discouraging OC in their city.

SOOO, I took that info and ran with it Made a couple of key phone calls, and now the police department has as least publicly replied that they understand that OC is legal in their city. Even though the brother's name was never mentioned and in no way even come close to being identified, he has stopped the "you can't OC in my city" nonsense.

After a couple of discussions with LEO in my own small town where a sgt said only LEO's should be permitted to carry firearms, and a totally unrelated discussion with the chief saying he couldn't control what his officers do... It really began to hit home with me that some police departments will actively take up harassment to send a message. Tying back to Birmingham teen case, it's my personal belief that was about two things. One, upscale B'ham did not want firearms running loose in their town, and two, about control on the part of the LEO. Here was this snot nosed kid refusing to follow his demands for control. What is amazing, are the trumped up charges that were filed against the kid, and on those grounds alone, the entire case should be thrown out. The real question in the case, did the LEO have RAS?

This discussion, more then any other discussion is a justified Goodwin's law thread creep. We as supposed to be 2A advocates can't even agree on what is constitutionally limited.

I, as a citizen am expected to follow all published laws. Ignorance of the law is not an acceptable defense. Why would we expect differently from the people paid to enforce the law?
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #85

Liked 3319 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 3057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian View Post
I'm personally glad that Leo's stop and ask for id's from people open carrying. You guys make it sound like every dude out there has a permit and is legally carrying if they have a gun. I'm sorry but its not a subject to be taken lightly when a complete stranger decides to openly show he has a lethal weapon on them. I legally ccw religiously for the simple reason that guns are illegally acquired every day.

Your permit is 2a. Complete strangers drive around in lethal weapons everyday and the police don't just stop them to check for a permit. And driving isn't a constitutional right. Don't forget that cars are illegally acquired every day. The average hand gun used for self defense has some where between 300 and 500 ft. lbs. of energy. While the average car traveling at 60 mph has about 421,123 ft. lbs. of energy. Which is the more deadly weapon? What part of "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you people understand? You can't just hassle people because they might do something. I've said this before but I think it needs to be said again. If we go with the logic of stopping people because they have the equipment to do something wrong then LEO's need to stop every man because he has the equipment to be a rapist. We need to check him out to make sure he won't use said equipment illegally. Our wives and girl friends need to be stopped and questioned because they have the equipment to be prostitutes. How long would you put up with that before you told LE to go piss up a rope?
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #86

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with Chubbyhawaiian

He is a tool trying to push his own agrenda.

You may have noticed he owns a gun shop

Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #87

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

So you are a sworn deputy of the Sheriff's Dept? There's a big difference between a Sheriff's Deputy and the wanna be mall ninja at the local shopping center who doesn't know jack diddly about the law (and no, they do not have the the same authority as a Sheriff's Deputy)
I don't know about in your state but in south Carolina an armed guard is a sworn officer , even a mall cop here if he wears a badge is a level one unarmed guard does have arrest authority . Level two is an armed guard with a revolver, level three is armed with a semi auto weapon either a pistol or could be a rifle like an Ar 15 given the circumstances of the job like say at a nuclear plant .

Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #88

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4inEOD

I spent the first 20yrs in Pulaski County, Ky asswipe...I know what it means. I was making a comparison. My uncle was a Ky Col. I think if he was still alive he would want to kick you pinko ass.
Not too familiar with that area, is there a mental facility there that you ran away from

Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executiveprotect View Post
I don't know about in your state but in south Carolina an armed guard is a sworn officer , even a mall cop here if he wears a badge is a level one unarmed guard does have arrest authority . Level two is an armed guard with a revolver, level three is armed with a semi auto weapon either a pistol or could be a rifle like an Ar 15 given the circumstances of the job like say at a nuclear plant .
Where I lived - NY, AZ and currently VT, security guards DO NOT have LEO authority unless deputized by the municipal Sheriff's Department. And as far as I can find regarding security guards and South Carolina

Quote:
Guards who carry weapons must be licensed by the appropriate government authority, and some receive further certification as special police officers, which allows them to make limited types of arrests while on duty.
http://www.local-security-guard.com/security-guard-license-South-Carolina.html

this would seem to imply that not all security guards in South Carolina are deputized authority and only some have limited arresting authority. Please, if this is incorrect feel free to provide some information

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 07-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #90
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

OK- one more time- the thread is being closed while I go thru and remove the postings that violate our established practices.

Now pay attention.

A forum is for discussion. It is for an exchange of information and viewpoints. It is not for name calling, bullying, and generally acting like 3rd graders.

If my saying that pisses some of you off- GOOD. I really do not care who started it, it stops HERE. If you cannot pay attention, treat others like adults, and exercise some common courtesy, you will be treated like a 3rd grader, and have a time out.

Frankly, I have had enough of the yelling, pushing and shouting. If you suddenly notice someone is absent, do not bother asking why.