Man sues over arrest for open carry - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Man sues over arrest for open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

That's a 2 way street my friend - respect is earned, not given
And if you live by "respect is earned by given", are you rude to everyone you meet until they respect you? If so, then I fell sorry for whoever you come across.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #72

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf84 View Post
And if you live by "respect is earned by given", are you rude to everyone you meet until they respect you? If so, then I fell sorry for whoever you come across.
Where do you come to the conclusion that someone has to be rude before they give respect?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #73

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the police actually have a duty to determine if a gun bearing person is an honest citizen or a nut job about to commit mass murder. we have enough incidents of spree killing to make interrogating an individual carrying a firearm openly a desirable thing to occur. so when a guy like the idiot in the story gives evasive answers and being combative i dont really have an issue with police arresting him to find out the truth.
The police DO NOT have the duty you described above. Without "probable cause", there is actually very little the police can do. While the police can question someone "without probably cause", the person being questioned is under no obligation to answer anything. He should politely say, "why am I being detained". If the police say "you're not being detained", than just walk away. I'm not saying I would do this. I may choose to cooperate with them, and then again, I may not. Each instance is different. If they think they have probable cause, they must inform you of it. The mere presence of an open firearm is not enough for "probable cause" (DeBury V US). They guy may have acted like a jerk. But that's not against the law. Absent any other facts, arresting him solely because he was open carrying was wrong and he has a case against them. I have the highest regard for police officers but they are not lawyers. Many times they are "instructed" to investigate every open carry incident because the Chief of Police and the DA are anti open carry.

Don <><

Last edited by genesis; 07-07-2012 at 02:30 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #74

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
The police DO NOT have the duty you described above. Without "probable cause", there is actually very little the police can do. While the police can question someone "without probably cause", the person being questioned is under no obligation to answer anything. He should politely say, "why am I being detained". If the police say "you're not being detained", than just walk away. I'm not saying I would do this. I may choose to cooperate with them, and then again, I may not. Each instance is different. If they think they have probable cause, they must inform you of it. The mere presence of an open firearm is not enough for "probable cause" (DeBury V US). They guy may have acted like a jerk. But that's not against the law. Absent any other facts, arresting him solely because he was open carrying was wrong and he has a case against them. I have the highest regard for police officers but they are not lawyers. Many times they are "instructed" to investigate every open carry incident because the Chief of Police and the DA are anti open carry.

Don <><
Here's the text to back this up. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/michagan-teen-arrested-legal-open-carry-63238/index16.html#post787080

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
partdeux Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #75

Quote:
So you're saying you don't have to be a mature adult?
No I am not but as best as I can find their are no laws against being an immature adult. Maturity is not at issue here, GA law is. You have been disregarding GA law making assumptions throughout this entire thread, I suggest that you to stick to the facts at hand - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/man-sues-over-arrest-open-carry-63841/#post790772

It has been shown time and time again in this thread - the security officer was wrong about the law, the Police were wrong about the law. There was no legal right to harass a GA resident for open carrying in public and a GA resident has no legal obligation to answer a Police officers questions. Escalating him to the point of arrest does not justify the means to that end.

Just because someone is given a badge and a gun does NOT make them the arbiter of authority

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Last edited by dog2000tj; 07-07-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: my bad, had 2 threads mixed up

Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #76

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

No I am not but as best as I can find their are no laws against being an immature adult. Maturity is not at issue here, GA law is. You have been disregarding GA law making assumptions throughout this entire thread, I suggest that you to stick to the facts at hand - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/man-sues-over-arrest-open-carry-63841/#post790772

It has been shown time and time again in this thread - the security officer was wrong about the law, the Police were wrong about the law. There was no legal right to harass a GA resident for open carrying in public and a GA resident has no legal obligation to answer a Police officers questions. Escalating him to the point of arrest does not justify the means to that end.

Just because someone is given a badge and a gun does NOT make them the arbiter of authority
I'm speaking generally. There are for sure LEOs and security who get outta line. I won't deny that. But in your average situation I think cooperation works out best.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #77

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thats ok I was asking because laws change from state to state.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #78

Quote:
I'm speaking generally. There are for sure LEOs and security who get outta line. I won't deny that. But in your average situation I think cooperation works out best.
That is correct but just as with respect, cooperation is a 2 way street. The security officer was wrong - period. It was the duty of the Police to inform him of that error and be on their way. Instead, they chose to harass a private citizen to the point of developing suspicion and ultimately arrest.

as I said, the they used the end to justify their means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
Thats ok I was asking because laws change from state to state.
they do but oddly enough their was an incident of almost the exact same circumstances in MI. Sad as it is, this is happening all too frequently all over the US

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #79

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe the story your talking about was an 18 year old open carrying a M1 Garand. If this isnt the one your talking about please let me know.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #80

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Everybody can argue from both sides and still have good points. I like the idea of openly carrying handguns. But watch some of the videos on youtube, they are carrying scoped I'm deer rifles or ak 47s they seem to be trolling for trouble