Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Man sues over arrest for open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian View Post
I'm personally glad that Leo's stop and ask for id's from people open carrying. You guys make it sound like every dude out there has a permit and is legally carrying if they have a gun. I'm sorry but its not a subject to be taken lightly when a complete stranger decides to openly show he has a lethal weapon on them. I legally ccw religiously for the simple reason that guns are illegally acquired every day.
you're either for second amendment

or you're for a police state

Don't try and play the "it's for our own safety" line

We have had to deal with a slow moving set of restrictions on our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS for several decades.

If the nice policeman has NO LEGAL RIGHTS to demand your PAPERS, then you have no LEGAL OBLIGATION to turn them over to him. Can't make it any more simple than that.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #62

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue

I give rent a cops no time of day. Just walk by them like they don't even exist."

Because of thinking like this. These rent a cops are hired by the people that own the property that your are on. Same as if you were on my property or in my house your rights be damned. Your rights stop were mine begin. How would you like it if someone comes to your house and walks on by you as if you didn't exist.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #63

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian
I'm personally glad that Leo's stop and ask for id's from people open carrying. You guys make it sound like every dude out there has a permit and is legally carrying if they have a gun. I'm sorry but its not a subject to be taken lightly when a complete stranger decides to openly show he has a lethal weapon on them. I legally ccw religiously for the simple reason that guns are illegally acquired every day.
I personally have no problem checking OC'ers IDs. I don't think LEOs should seize your firearm until they have a reason though. But don't get all butt hurt cause cops wanna make sure you're not a felon. Is it that hard to be polite?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #64

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf84 View Post
I personally have no problem checking OC'ers IDs. I don't think LEOs should seize your firearm until they have a reason though. But don't get all butt hurt cause cops wanna make sure you're not a felon. Is it that hard to be polite?
That's a 2 way street my friend - respect is earned, not given

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #65

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf84

I get what your saying and i personally have no problem showing my ID if i was open carrying. I have nothing to hide and really dont need the trouble of being arrested for something that is legal. But in the state of Michigan the officer has no right to ask for your ID and you have no obligation to give them any information. I have no problem with being polite, i know its got me out of a couple tickets.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #66

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

That's right so when he acted like an a$$ clown he was earning the leo's respect right. Some positions, some professions, some uniforms, come with an inherited amount of respect due them.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #67

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

you're either for second amendment

or you're for a police state

Don't try and play the "it's for our own safety" line

We have had to deal with a slow moving set of restrictions on our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS for several decades.

If the nice policeman has NO LEGAL RIGHTS to demand your PAPERS, then you have no LEGAL OBLIGATION to turn them over to him. Can't make it any more simple than that.
As you are correct in saying you have no legal obligation to turn them over, unfortunately sometimes the cops don't always see it that way, and you'll be the one getting handcuffed.

Generally it didnt turn out too well for the people who were uncooperative with the nazi regime.

Currently our situation in America isn't that extreme, so just be cooperative. If youre legally carrying your firearm, & you are polite, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. And if it still turns out bad, then you got a doucher cop and it wouldn't have gone well anyway.

I personally wanna have good relations with LEOs. If that means going beyond what I'm legally required to do, then that's ok with me. I'd rather have the cops know me as a cooperative citizen then that guy who always makes a scene to prove a point.

Enough rambling.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #68

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

I'm sure they say the same thing.
So who's gonna be the mature adult and be respectful first?
You can only change how YOU react in the situation.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #69

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
I get what your saying and i personally have no problem showing my ID if i was open carrying. I have nothing to hide and really dont need the trouble of being arrested for something that is legal. But in the state of Michigan the officer has no right to ask for your ID and you have no obligation to give them any information. I have no problem with being polite, i know its got me out of a couple tickets.
and this is where everyone who is denigrating the defendant is missing the point. What the SO and LEO's did would be considered harassment and they escalated the situation thus resulting in the defendant's response.

So put yourself in these shoes - you're out and about on a public street, a tourist comes up to you and informs you that you cannot be there. You correct the tourist, disregard him and continue your activity. The tourist then call the Police, who show up and begin to question you and demanding information, escalating the situation that should never have occurred. You end up arrested and jailed for no other reason other than 3 people don't know the law (2 of which are sworn to uphold).

Are you going to roll over and accept it as if it's perfectly acceptable? Are you content with being harassed for no reason whatsoever by complete strangers? I seriously doubt it. The Security Officer is wrong, the Police are wrong and I sincerely hope this guy sues them for all he can.

Either support 2A or don't

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #70

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
That's right so when he acted like an a$$ clown he was earning the leo's respect right. Some positions, some professions, some uniforms, come with an inherited amount of respect due them.
Doesn't give the officer the authority disregard the law. I've told a cop to go **** himself to his face before. He deserved it. He was breaking the law and violating my rights. I respect the law (most of them) not some grunt trying to make a paycheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Either support 2A or don't

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 07-07-2012 at 02:11 AM.