Man sues over arrest for open carry - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Man sues over arrest for open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
You're now driving a car, should the police be allowed to stop every single car and verify that every driver is licensed? Carrying a firearm is a constitutional right.

How would you feel if for just pure harassement purposes you were stopped every 5 minutes to "check your papers"?
I would state the obvious & say we're now getting into Stupidville, USA but i think i'll just drive right on through till I get back to Normalville

Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue
Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it?- Tyler

I give rent a cops no time of day. Just walk by them like they don't even exist.

This open carry man is a victim and should be well compensated.

This guy did what we all rant and rave about everyday on this and other forums. And then he takes some lumps for standing his ground. I don't get it.

This is what happens when somebody walks the talk. Not just talk the talk. Easy to jump on a forum and say "nobody is gonna take my freedom" or 'from my cold dead hands"
Amen...... Dodger Blue two thumbs up !!
I'm just glad it was not me, fighting with over egotistical police officers and rent a cops over the 2nd amendment Is BS.
I hope he wins in court, it will help establish a standard. It is noted he is not suing the city...

Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #53

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Amen...... Dodger Blue two thumbs up !!
I'm just glad it was not me, fighting with over egotistical police officers and rent a cops over the 2nd amendment Is BS.
I hope he wins in court, it will help establish a standard. It is noted he is not suing the city...
Exactly. Many of these incidents do not make the news. I'd venture to say the vast majority of them do not.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #54

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

You're now driving a car, should the police be allowed to stop every single car and verify that every driver is licensed? Carrying a firearm is a constitutional right.

How would you feel if for just pure harassement purposes you were stopped every 5 minutes to "check your papers"?
I think refusing to show a drivers license until the officer told you why he pulled you over wouldn't pan out very well. They ask for your license immediately. Being un-cooperative usually turns out bad.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #55

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan

Every gun owner is currently run through an NICS background check at one time or another. The job was accomplished before the gun even left the store.
that would assume he was the original buyer, and did not purchase it through a private sale. My last several purchases was through private sales, I could have vomited a felony since february of 2011. He may not should have been stooped for open carrying, but he did give police officers false information, which may be a crime in georgia.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #56

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

First off, i never said they should be able to stop every car on the road. All i said was if youre stopped and you act like a prick just because you can then youre only making things more difficult.

Second, that kind of thing happens everyday to cdl truck drivers, its called a random dot inspection and no probable cause is needed. Ive been through two in the last 6 months.

Again, all im saying is act like a fool and be evasive with your answers it doesnt help you. If your legal then act like an adult, show your paperwork an in no time you will be on your merry way, thats it.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #57

Liked 3102 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 2879

It's not against the law to act like prick. If I'm stopped for doing something wrong that's fine and dandy. But if I get stopped just because they want to then we got problems. I can't believe gun owners think it's ok to stop a person just for carrying. It is not legal to harass someone based on what you think might happen. The cop carrying a gun might flip out and kill someone with it. Should we start stopping every cop and ask for his most recent psych evaluation based on what he might do?
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #58

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
It's not against the law to act like prick. If I'm stopped for doing something wrong that's fine and dandy. But if I get stopped just because they want to then we got problems. I can't believe gun owners think it's ok to stop a person just for carrying. It is not legal to harass someone based on what you think might happen. The cop carrying a gun might flip out and kill someone with it. Should we start stopping every cop and ask for his most recent psych evaluation based on what he might do?
rjd, we are on the same page brother. It bothers me that good men, freedom loving men give so much to a person just because he/she wears a badge.

We the People.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #59

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm personally glad that Leo's stop and ask for id's from people open carrying. You guys make it sound like every dude out there has a permit and is legally carrying if they have a gun. I'm sorry but its not a subject to be taken lightly when a complete stranger decides to openly show he has a lethal weapon on them. I legally ccw religiously for the simple reason that guns are illegally acquired every day.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #60

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian
I'm personally glad that Leo's stop and ask for id's from people open carrying. You guys make it sound like every dude out there has a permit and is legally carrying if they have a gun. I'm sorry but its not a subject to be taken lightly when a complete stranger decides to openly show he has a lethal weapon on them. I legally ccw religiously for the simple reason that guns are illegally acquired every day.
But here in Michigan an officer has no leagal right to stop and ask for your name or ID just because your carrying a pistol open on your hip. You dont need a license to open carry. You legally dont have to give them any information just because they asked for it. Now if you have a weapon consealed you HAVE to inform the officer that you are carrying. I know the laws are differant in every state. I would gladley give my ID to an officer if he asked for my ID if im open carrying. Its not worth the hassle to argue with an officer because i know im in my legal right. Just hand over my ID and my Cpl and be on my way. But some people may say its my right to open carry and not have to give ID and thats where problems arise.