Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Man sues over arrest for open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
If the guy was not breaking any law by having his pistol then there was no reason to cause all this hoopla. The defendant has no legal responsibility to tell police anything. Smart or dumb does not even matter. All that does matter is weather or not this guy was breaking any laws. If the guy was operating a vehicle then I can see asking for a drivers lic. But this was not the case here. At least that's how I understand the situation as it pertains to this case.

I had seen somewhere in this thread that police have to make sure a person open carrying is not some nut. Why is that?
If the law says you can carry a weapon say in an open carry state that means police have to stop everyone they see with a gun? I'm not all that sure but I really don't think many instances of people doing bad things with a firearm where walking around wit hit in the open before they went trigger happy. Because most bad guys don't want the attention until it's time to get bad. Truth be told I am much more weary of the person I see with a consealed weapon printing than I am of someone with a open, easy to see holster on their belt.

Sure this guy was a bit of a tool with police but there was nothing illegal about what he did that I can really see. Maybe he is one of those types that looks for confrontation but I didn't think that being an ass was illegal.
Every gun owner is currently run through an NICS background check at one time or another. The job was accomplished before the gun even left the store.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #42

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I support open carry but I for one dont do it . I dont really conceal since I dont have a ccp and dont want one , i also dont have a fishing or hunting license but That does not stop me from doing it .
Bottom line , if you dont have the power to arrest me then FU lol You can call me in all you want and I will more than likely be gone by the time they get there and they are left there looking like a dumbass wasting their time .
Only time I have been hassled by a leo for having a gun in the truck was during a stop where I had bad plates and a list of other minor violations which I could see him thinking from all of that , that I could have been a BG . He asked if I had a permit to which i replied no , do I need one ? '' KNowing the answer already ''
He said no but wanted to know why I carried in the truck and why I dont have a permit or want one .
I wanted to tell him to mind his own business and do his job , write my tickets and move on but me being nice got me some slack '' as always '' .
As for a security guard , I more than likely wont acknowledge him and ignore him and just keep walking , depending on what they want , that pisses them off right good , Just say go away ! Your bothering me !

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #43

Liked 1678 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

I was going to a pork and hops festival at a city owned park in Grand Junction, Colorado. My wife had her purse. She did not have her permit yet and was not packing. The idiot security guard asks to search her purse. They were searching everyones bag. She complied. I asked what are you looking for? He said, food, drinks, guns stuff like that. I said "Guns?" He said yeah guns. I told him that is was a public park. I asked where was the metal detector and sign. He had no idea what I was talking about. In Colorado public places are always allowed to be carried in unless there is a metal detector. Of course the normal federal restrictions still apply. Then he asked if I had a gun. I was not going to lie and told him yes. He asked me to leave it in my car. I complied. But I told him he was offering the opportunity for people to sue the city. He was a stooge. I only stayed a very short time because I hate gun free zones...especially illegal ones.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 775 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
He asked me to leave it in my car. I complied. But I told him he was offering the opportunity for people to sue the city. He was a stooge. I only stayed a very short time because I hate gun free zones...especially illegal ones.
So, have you filed a lawsuit against the city? Why did you comply with an illegal order?

I'm in awe of the small percentage of people that exercise their LEGAL rights.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Then he asked if I had a gun. I was not going to lie and told him yes. He asked me to leave it in my car. I complied. But I told him he was offering the opportunity for people to sue the city. He was a stooge. I only stayed a very short time because I hate gun free zones...especially illegal ones.
never turn down a opportunity to get a good frisk lol but you gotta make sure you make the noises and make them as un-comfortable as you can , gotta throw in the '' mmm thats feels good '' line for the winner lamo

I'll do it everytime , specially if its a hard nosed leo

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #46

Liked 1678 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

He claimed that it was private property. I wasn't sure until after the fact.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #47

I thought it said public park but it could have been an off duty security dude acting bad

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-05-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: mispelling....looked like a word we should only see in another subforum.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
He claimed that it was private property. I wasn't sure until after the fact.
In MI, per state law, city property can not be declared off limits. One city holding a festival "claimed" since they had leased the property to a private entity, they were entitled to set their own rules. They lost in court. At another festival, one person had a series of discussions with LEO's and they let him in. There was a shooting by someone not legally allowed to own a firearm. One of the LEO's saw the gentleman on the way out and told him that he understands much better now.

There's a case at the appeal's court right now about if a district library is considered an entity of the city(s) that created it and thereby not allowed to create anti gun policies. the ruling that came out of the district court was mind numbing dumb, as the judge didn't even really rule on the question before the bench.

I don't quite have enough cojones to challenge at some of these events, but will often carry with a IWB holster, and my shirt tucked in.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #49

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

My thought is if you're carrying legally, open or concealed then why is it a problem to show your permit and id. I mean if you dont have anything to hide then why act evasive with your anwsers. I carry on a daily basis and have no problem proving im legal to carry at any time a leo would ask for it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
My thought is if you're carrying legally, open or concealed then why is it a problem to show your permit and id. I mean if you dont have anything to hide then why act evasive with your anwsers. I carry on a daily basis and have no problem proving im legal to carry at any time a leo would ask for it.
You're now driving a car, should the police be allowed to stop every single car and verify that every driver is licensed? Carrying a firearm is a constitutional right.

How would you feel if for just pure harassement purposes you were stopped every 5 minutes to "check your papers"?