Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Man sues over arrest for open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4678 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

I'm not an advocate of open carry. I find it unnecessary and tactically unsound, however, I'm all for advocates sueing for false arrest.

Tack

Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5469 Times on 2856 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Here we go again. The guy isn't doing anything illegal but he is forced to explain himself just because he's carrying. What is even sadder, is we have pro 2a members upset with him because he told them to go piss up a rope. If he had been exercising unarmed would the security guard have bothered with him? Why do you guys think it is OK for people to be hassled when they aren't doing anything wrong? The only time police stop me when I'm driving is when I'm doing something wrong. They don't just pull me over because I'm driving. "OMG that guys got a car we better stop him, or OMG that guys got a baseball bat we better stop him." What is the flippin difference?
thing is there is a subsection of concealed/open carry folks that actively provoke police in order to get arrested and sue the city or county for reperations.

i rank that sort of mindset right down there with using your vehicle to provoke people into a collision then suing the other guys insurance company.

just because a person owns a gun doesnt mean they are always right by default.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5469 Times on 2856 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Why was he stopped in the first place? That's my problem with the whole thing. The answer is, he was stopped solely on the basis that he was carrying a gun. That is not illegal so why bother the guy at all? That's the point, the point isn't who was a tool or not. Why hassle someone who isn't breaking the law? Permits be damned, the second amendment is your permit.
the police actually have a duty to determine if a gun bearing person is an honest citizen or a nut job about to commit mass murder.

we have enough incidents of spree killing to make interrogating an individual carrying a firearm openly a desirable thing to occur. so when a guy like the idiot in the story gives evasive answers and being combative i dont really have an issue with police arresting him to find out the truth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #14

Liked 2360 Times on 1056 Posts
Likes Given: 2265

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the police actually have a duty to determine if a gun bearing person is an honest citizen or a nut job about to commit mass murder.

we have enough incidents of spree killing to make interrogating an individual carrying a firearm openly a desirable thing to occur. so when a guy like the idiot in the story gives evasive answers and being combative i dont really have an issue with police arresting him to find out the truth.
Well Jon when they start interrogating you for other things that you are doing legally I guess you won't mind that either. Does this same duty apply to everything else. Hell a fellow could drive his car onto a play ground and wipe out half a school but I don't see cops checking everyone in a car. It's not OK to harass people on what they might do.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #15

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian View Post
Maybe we should just get rid of all those pesky police so you can put your life in danger every time a problem comes up. The fact that the guy wants to play games and can't verify his birthday on his permit leads me to think it would be a fake one or he can't responsibly carry a lethal weapon if he thinks its a game. Wether he's in his legal right or not to be carrying, obviously he's not mature enough to carry. I would understand him thinking its funny to give a rent a cop a hard time, but when leo's have to get involved why waste their time and escalate it? If he's not a criminal then why act like one?
The police officer escalated the situation. Not the man.

I have no problem with police officers conducting investigations in a legal and proper manner. The second their activities go extralegal, I lose all respect. I've had my civil rights liberties violated by officers on more than one occasion and let me tell you, it's not a good feeling, even if it's only minor. Try and put yourself in this man's shoes before you go around making quippy remarks.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
bluez Likes This 
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #16

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

rjd, you make some good strong arguments. Thanks for being able to be pro gun, pro 2nd amendment, pro carry even open, and still being able to know right from wrong when cops are involved.

Some assume just because we are law abiding citizens we have to just agree with what today's police do and like it.

Thumbs up on your postings brother.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I'm not a big fan of open carry in public personally. I don't think it has helped the cause the way some think it has. But legal is legal. That said, being a jerk is still being a jerk. I don't see how it was impossible for this guy to just explain the situation with the LEO's (apparently the rentacop was ill-informed) and go home. Assuming the LEO reports are correct, I don't blame them for getting irritated. Was the guy doing anything wrong? No but fighting stupidity or ignorance with a healthy does of attitude rarely works, especially with cops. You can sit in your car in an empty parking lot and if you wait there long enough you'll have a conversation with a police officer. How that conversation goes can determine whether you go home or to jail. Just sayin.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan

The police officer escalated the situation. Not the man.

I have no problem with police officers conducting investigations in a legal and proper manner. The second their activities go extralegal, I lose all respect. I've had my civil rights liberties violated by officers on more than one occasion and let me tell you, it's not a good feeling, even if it's only minor. Try and put yourself in this man's shoes before you go around making quippy remarks.
There's two sides to every story. Your right, i'm sure these officers were just driving around looking for situations they could escalate. I'm sure they wake up every morning thinking "how can I violate tCan today". What part of that news story led you to believe the responding leo's escalated it?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #19

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

In Georgia, a leo cannot just stop someone carrying either openly or concealed just to satisfy his curiosity as to the citizen's honesty, and exactly how does one pick out a "nut job about to commit mass murder"? He must have articulable suspicion that the individual has committed a crime.

In this case, (a) the above standard was not met, and (b) the man was not in violation of any law.

I hope he wins.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20923 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52467

from what i read, the LEO were called by the rent-a-cop for a disturbance. if so, then they were within their rights to ask for ID and determine the situation. like i asked, is the park private property available for use by the public, or city or county public park? because, depending on which it is, makes all the difference in the legality of his being able to carry there. another question i asked, that i have concern with, if it's public park, then what is a private company security guard doing patrolling it? wouldn't that come under the jurisdiction of the police department or the sheriffs department? so if a private security guard is patrolling, then i am thinking possibly it's private property available to the public and the man overstepped his rights when the security guard asked him to leave and then escalated his problems when the LEO were called responding to a disturbance. then acted evasive and belligerent, further escalating his situation into being arrested for his actions. if this is the way it happened, then i have no sympathy for him, and IMO is a poor example for defence of our 2nd admendment rights. if the security guard and the LEO overstepped their legal bounderies and abused his rights, then i hope he wins his lawsuit and sets a precedent for others who carry firearms.