Making Concealed Carry Difficult
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Making Concealed Carry Difficult

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Making Concealed Carry Difficult

After the wife and I got the kids through college and out of the house and we had some time, we were able to devote some time shooting, getting our Concealed Carry in Ohio. Looking for a sidearm that my wife could operate (she has some strength limitations) we found ourselves with collectible firearms. We have been warned that it would be a shame if we were involved in a shooting incident with these firearms because the police confiscate your firearm and by the time you get it back, it's garbage. It seems police forces are not very careful with others' property and that the environment in police evidence lockers is not very friendly to gun metal.

So we now keep the good sidearms for the range and display and carry firearms that are good but would not be missed if confiscated. Add to this the fact that the City of Cleveland is not complying with Ohio Concealed Carry laws and continues arresting people carrying sidearms legally (in accordance with Ohio law) in the City of Cleveland. You may be right but only after several trips to the courts and several thousands spend on an attorney defending yourself.

This also brings up another issue. Trying to comply with the various sections of the Ohio (and probably other states) Concealed Carry law drives me crazy. If you attempt to combine your trips, for example, the grocery store, drop your mother off at the adult day care, get a meal at a restaurant, and pick your son up from his college classes, you have a problem putting on and removing your sidearm. It looks real awkward removing your belt while seated behind the wheel of a vehicle. You are prohibited from carrying in places caring for adults or children and restaurants typically have liquor licenses which is a no-no of concealed carry. Schools, hospitals, colleges prohibit sidearms by law. Ohio law was recently changed so you could carry on school property of you were not getting out of your car. I think it is one of those situations where the lawmakers make the laws so inconvenient that you just give up.

Please feel free to comment or criticize.

34sail

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dang , glad I live in Pennsylvania.

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Darth AkSarBen Likes This 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default 34sail carry options

+1-1861====Sail, we all face the limitations on our CCW permits in different ways. One thing to look at, though, is that it wasn't that long ago that Ohio citizens could not carry at ALL! We are looking at progress here, right? When I know that I will be in/out of gun-friendly areas, I often go Commando with my firearm==No holster-just tuck in at my side, or behind my back. Yes less comfortable, yes less secure, but, yes ARMED On the other hand, My 3032 Tomcat hardly ever leaves my rear pocket, and is not spotted in places that may be semi-un-gun friendly

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Dang that sucks. I live in Indiana and I put my gun on and it stay's on all day long. The only time I take my gun off is when I getting ready to go into the shop at work, when I'm working for a friend on side jobs (it would really suck to drop a perfectly good 1911 in sloppy wet concrete) or when I go into my house.

I don't have a kid yet (wife is 7 months pregnant) so I don't have to worry about schools yet.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Another reason I'm glad I left Ohio!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Makes me glad to be in Texas...

Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I recently got Clipdraws for 3 of my carry guns and will give yall a review as soon as I determine wether they're the best thing since sliced bread, or total waste of money, or somewhere in between. I DO know my wife LOVES her Clipdraw on her S&W model 442. For those of you needing to know what a Clipdraw is-it's a spring steel clip that goes on right side of handgun ( right handers) for IWB carry with NO holster of any kind. The clip securely holds the handgun inside your waistband or wherever you decide to clip it to.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I recently got Clipdraws for 3 of my carry guns and will give yall a review as soon as I determine wether they're the best thing since sliced bread, or total waste of money, or somewhere in between. I DO know my wife LOVES her Clipdraw on her S&W model 442. For those of you needing to know what a Clipdraw is-it's a spring steel clip that goes on right side of handgun ( right handers) for IWB carry with NO holster of any kind. The clip securely holds the handgun inside your waistband or wherever you decide to clip it to.
Well, welcome to carrying mexican Bear!

For $9.95 it's the best 'bang for the buck' in concealed carry rigs!

It's what I use for my Colt Defender.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've done Mexican carry before, but very limited and not with satisfactory results. The gun either tries to poke a butt shaped hole in my gut, the front sight digs into places I favor to keep in 1 piece, or small guns try to fall down more. This clipdraw should be the answer.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I had a clip-draw on my Kel Tec P3AT. I didn't like it. You will find it difficult to draw your pistol in a hurry, at least I did.