Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Mace/Pepper Spray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mace/Pepper Spray

Is Mace/Pepper Spray a good enough defense against an attacker that may recover from it quickly and be faster to you or not react to it at all? What is the probability that a person will be immune to mace or pepper spray when used in a personal protection situation?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #2

Nothing is 100% but for a non-lethal solution, fox labs pepper spray is probably the best I can recommend. It will work where some weaker sprays will not. If the attacker is high on PCP or meth etc. it may take a few seconds to work or it may not work at all. Best to be prepared for the worst.
Having a baton or knife to clean up is also a good idea.
This being a firearms forum many will recommend some variety of pistol, shotgun or rifle for self defense, but if not available, the pepper spray is a good item to start with.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2280 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Pepper spray

OC (oleoresin capsicum) is a wonderful thing. It works most of the time. It works faster than CS/CN tear gas. It works on two principles, pain and involuntary closing of the eyes. It can be worked through. If an attacker is motivated and somewhat immune from pain, it will not work. I have sprayed nearly 500 people (instructor) and found it to work very well 90% of the time. There are those who are seemingly unaffected and those it overwhelms. It is impossible to predict who will be effected. i have seen petite women simply blink and say "is that it". I have seen strapping lads freak out and try to run away with their eyes closed.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New OC product from Kimber

There's a new OC product from Kimber that might be of interest: it fires two shots of OC GEL out to 20 feet (if I recall correctly), propelled by pyrotechnic charges, NOT pressurized gas, so it won't lose pressure. It's claimed to have enough velocity to penetrate fabric and defeat glasses. Runs about $45 or so. I forget the name of it, but you can check it out & order it at kimberamerica.com. I want one.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #5

Pepper spray is extremely effective. Pepper spray effects last a lot longer as compared to other self defense weapons. For instance.. the taser will litterally knock someone to the ground instantly. But as soon as they are no longer being tased, they can get right up. Pepper spray on the other hand, immobilizes an attacker. They cant see you, hard to breathe, totally disorients them.

Heres some more info on Pepper Spray

And here is what is currently the most potent pepper spray on the market. Wildfire Pepper Spray

Hope this helps
mike

Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what if ya knock them down with the taser then spray and kick them in the ribs a few times?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a fan of Sabre brand spray. It combines OC with CS, which I know, first hand, to be extremely effective. The OC burns like hell and the CS gives the choking, gagging, snot producing effects that it is known for.

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-template/SABRECivilianDefensePepperSprays/Page?sfs=71b6d50a

Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #8

Police use it to confuse a person prior to the handcuffs. Probably not a good idea for anyone else.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:39 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default OC effects delay

I'm not above letting people laugh at me, so here goes.
I was taking a walk down the street to take some mail to the right box. The mail carrier had left a bill in my box that went five doors down the street. Two doors down the sidewalk is an old black lab that has developed a bit of an attitude. I took a can of 10% OC with me in case the dog caused any trouble. In the past he had run out close to the sidewalk and barked up a storm. Today I planned on teaching him a "lesson".
Fred, that's the dogs name, charged out on cue. I sprayed him with the OC. I started spraying at about 7 yards. The spray was hitting him solid in the face. I'm still spraying. He CHARGED!
At about 2 yards I turned and jumped on the hood of a parked car.
I sprayed some more. At some point some of the spray got in my eyes ,,,,, yes it hurt.
Fred is circling the car,,,, raising cane .
Fred's owner came out to yell at ME. Something about being on the hood of his car .
Now and only now, Fred starts rubbing his face on the ground trying to get the OC out of his eyes. I explain myself to Fred's owner and leave .

Next day I'm out at my mailbox and I hear barking. I look up and see Fred,,,, and he's running down the sidewalk,,,,, coming for me. I ran inside and called Animal Control.
Fred now lives in a pen in their backyard.
The OC went in the trash, if it won't stop an old black lab, what will it stop?

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why ya need a 45 as a back up