Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   M&P 9mm compact vs shield (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/m-p-9mm-compact-vs-shield-77026/)

The_Big_B 11-25-2012 03:10 AM

M&P 9mm compact vs shield

I'm sure this isn't the first question you've seen similar to this, but I need help deciding. I know this will come down to personal preference, however Im stuck between the two. Im looking to buy a carry weapon to replace my Sig C3. Love this gun in the crossbreed supertuck, but im looking for something a bit smaller and more comfortable so I will carry more often. Both the compact and shield feel good in my hands, but I haven't shot either.

My question is that with both guns being similar in size, does the skinnier shield make enough difference in carrying ability vs the higher round count of the compact.

What pointers or suggestions can you give to sway me one way or the other.

Thank you

BeyondTheBox 11-25-2012 04:59 AM

Smaller, even subtly so, can make a world of difference in comfort. I'd say shield it up. Both have that awesome S&W semi-auto trigger and round capacity is on you to determine the value of. For me the convenience of compact far outweighs the added round count.

bigbomar4 11-26-2012 05:04 AM

I hate striker fired guns. That being said the shield is possibly the one exception. Ive shot my uncles shield and it amazed me. Its not as good as a good as a broken in CZ or Sig but one might find its way into my safe if I have a few bucks to spare.

BeyondTheBox 11-26-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbomar4
I hate striker fired guns. That being said the shield is possibly the one exception. Ive shot my uncles shield and it amazed me. Its not as good as a good as a broken in CZ or Sig but one might find its way into my safe if I have a few bucks to spare.

Striker fire sux!

Alicia 11-27-2012 03:04 AM

Skinner definitely makes a difference in concealing and overall comfort IMO. My first EDC was a single stack. I could carry that baby wearing almost anything...

I was gun shopping for my current EDC when the Shield came out, I didn't realize at the time it was hard to get as my store always seemed to have them in stock. I must have gone on at least 3 or 4 different occasions to try and make up my mind between the Shield, the M&Pc and the XDsc. Personally, I finally ruled out the Shield because I couldn't rent it and I wanted to shoot what I was going to buy since I'd just sold a gun I didn't enjoy shooting. I loved both the M&P and the XDsc as rentals and ended up with the XDsc. I still love it...but it's much harder to dress around than the single stack was, at least at my size. While I throughly love my double stack, there are days when I've tried on my 3rd outfit and am still printing that I wish I'd gotten the Shield. I keep telling my husband, while I'll never sell one to buy one again, my next purchase will be either a Shield or an XDs just so it's easier to dress around,

danolator 11-28-2012 10:29 AM

Not much difference in size really. I am a lefty so there is no choosing. The Shield is a right hand gun.