Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Looking for suggestions....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Looking for suggestions....

I've done a lot of research for my first weapon and purchased a G22 gen 4. Still a little large for concealment, despite trying different holsters.

So to help narrow some, I want:

- 40 S&W
- compact
- safety

Availability in my area is like most others, slim. So I would appreciate many suggestions. Thanks - mac

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Why the safety requirement now?
Why not a glock 27?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Or if you want smaller,why stay with the large 40 cal requirement? Go with a Ruger LCP

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Why the safety requirement now?
Why not a glock 27?
As a relatively novice owner, the thought of keeping one in the pipe unnerves me. As far as caliber, I prefer to keep things simple, one box, one caliber.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Then you need to spend a bit more time underdtanding how different trigger systems work pick one and get over the unchambered part. Unchamberd , a handgun makes for a expensive rock. You use a good quality holser and handguns do not fire on there own.

How much handgun experience do you have. How do you plan on CC'n. Coat on everday?? Jeans and t shirt way from work? The m&p compact is a great line of pistols but thicker than even the glock. If you want something to cover with only one shirt on you may want to look at some compct single stacks and if experence is limited with heavier recoiling handguns the 9MM might be a smart choice in a light weight handgun. Less snap than a 40sw. The m*p* c is shorter of grip than other glocks and close over all to a glock 26/27 but also a bit wider. Keeping your trigger finger away from the trigger and modern handguns don't go wild on ya.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All of the above, but if a safety is a deal-killer, how about an XD with a grip safety?

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts

Try looking into a Glock 23. 13+1 in .40s&w and is a sweet shooter. Use mine for my concealed carry and home defense plus Glocks will work under the most unbearable conditions

Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Ruger SR40c fills your requirements.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmac View Post
I've done a lot of research for my first weapon and purchased a G22 gen 4. Still a little large for concealment, despite trying different holsters.

So to help narrow some, I want:

- 40 S&W
- compact
- safety

Availability in my area is like most others, slim. So I would appreciate many suggestions. Thanks - mac
I understand your train of thought with the Glock and one in the pipe. It's a concern many Glock owners have early on in their relationship with the gun and CC. It's something many people never get over. At the end of the day, it's not what I think or what he thinks or what she thinks or what the consensus on this forum is, it's what you feel. While the old saying, "practice makes perfect" fits here, as carrying it will begin to sooth your nerves, if there is always that doubt then you may at some point stop carrying it out of your own concern. Perhaps carry it around for a while without one in the pipe, accustom yourself to having it on you. See how it changes the way you dress, walk, and act. If you can arrive at a point where you can deal with it, at that point you can convert to carrying it hot. I have a G30 I carried for a few years, I just found it to have to much bulk for me and it printed with almost anything I wore. I ended up buying a Sig P938 which is far easier to conceal for me(I'm 6'2 170 soaking @$$ wet, I don't have much to aid me in concealment) I also get the whole single caliber thing, but at some point you will just realize having more than one caliber is life in firearms. I think I have like 7 different calibers?? (I haven't counted honestly) I like having the SAO that I can carry with one in the pipe and a simple safety mechanism that can be actuated in the process of the draw. I can't really recall looking at any smaller .40 unit, mostly just 9mm and .380 are the ones with the most offerings. Take a look at the Sig, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts

I'm a fan of the Rugers most models have safety as I to am a novice cc I like the safety too. Sr series great and also lc9 bit that's not a 40