Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Looking for suggestions.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/looking-suggestions-84592/)

wjmac 02-19-2013 01:09 PM

Looking for suggestions....

I've done a lot of research for my first weapon and purchased a G22 gen 4. Still a little large for concealment, despite trying different holsters.

So to help narrow some, I want:

- 40 S&W
- compact
- safety

Availability in my area is like most others, slim. So I would appreciate many suggestions. Thanks - mac

mountainman13 02-19-2013 01:29 PM

Why the safety requirement now?
Why not a glock 27?

hiwall 02-19-2013 01:35 PM

Or if you want smaller,why stay with the large 40 cal requirement? Go with a Ruger LCP

wjmac 02-19-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1144043)
Why the safety requirement now?
Why not a glock 27?

As a relatively novice owner, the thought of keeping one in the pipe unnerves me. As far as caliber, I prefer to keep things simple, one box, one caliber.

hardluk1 02-19-2013 03:49 PM

Then you need to spend a bit more time underdtanding how different trigger systems work pick one and get over the unchambered part. Unchamberd , a handgun makes for a expensive rock. You use a good quality holser and handguns do not fire on there own.

How much handgun experience do you have. How do you plan on CC'n. Coat on everday?? Jeans and t shirt way from work? The m&p compact is a great line of pistols but thicker than even the glock. If you want something to cover with only one shirt on you may want to look at some compct single stacks and if experence is limited with heavier recoiling handguns the 9MM might be a smart choice in a light weight handgun. Less snap than a 40sw. The m*p* c is shorter of grip than other glocks and close over all to a glock 26/27 but also a bit wider. Keeping your trigger finger away from the trigger and modern handguns don't go wild on ya.

treehugger49 02-19-2013 03:55 PM

All of the above, but if a safety is a deal-killer, how about an XD with a grip safety?

BigRedUSMC 02-20-2013 06:19 PM

Try looking into a Glock 23. 13+1 in .40s&w and is a sweet shooter. Use mine for my concealed carry and home defense plus Glocks will work under the most unbearable conditions

JTJ 02-20-2013 06:40 PM

Ruger SR40c fills your requirements.

GeneralPatton 02-20-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjmac (Post 1144017)
I've done a lot of research for my first weapon and purchased a G22 gen 4. Still a little large for concealment, despite trying different holsters.

So to help narrow some, I want:

- 40 S&W
- compact
- safety

Availability in my area is like most others, slim. So I would appreciate many suggestions. Thanks - mac

I understand your train of thought with the Glock and one in the pipe. It's a concern many Glock owners have early on in their relationship with the gun and CC. It's something many people never get over. At the end of the day, it's not what I think or what he thinks or what she thinks or what the consensus on this forum is, it's what you feel. While the old saying, "practice makes perfect" fits here, as carrying it will begin to sooth your nerves, if there is always that doubt then you may at some point stop carrying it out of your own concern. Perhaps carry it around for a while without one in the pipe, accustom yourself to having it on you. See how it changes the way you dress, walk, and act. If you can arrive at a point where you can deal with it, at that point you can convert to carrying it hot. I have a G30 I carried for a few years, I just found it to have to much bulk for me and it printed with almost anything I wore. I ended up buying a Sig P938 which is far easier to conceal for me(I'm 6'2 170 soaking @$$ wet, I don't have much to aid me in concealment) I also get the whole single caliber thing, but at some point you will just realize having more than one caliber is life in firearms. I think I have like 7 different calibers?? (I haven't counted honestly) I like having the SAO that I can carry with one in the pipe and a simple safety mechanism that can be actuated in the process of the draw. I can't really recall looking at any smaller .40 unit, mostly just 9mm and .380 are the ones with the most offerings. Take a look at the Sig, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:

stoneam2006 02-20-2013 09:25 PM

I'm a fan of the Rugers most models have safety as I to am a novice cc I like the safety too. Sr series great and also lc9 bit that's not a 40