Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Looking for some advise (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/looking-some-advise-48280/)

Flat4sti 09-15-2011 12:43 AM

Looking for some advise

Don't worry its not what kind of gun i should get. What i am asking advise on is how i should handle the situation. I am in college and I noticed a kid last week that is carrying what i am 99.9% sure is a firearm. Like I said I first noticed him the noticeable bulge of a full sized holstered gun on his hip. he was wearing a t-shirt that hung over it and it was not exactly a loose fitting shirt. Class only meets once a week, so this week I wanted to see if i was just seeing things. Well I noticed it again, he also had a set of handcuff hanging from the back of his pants above his ass crack. I seriously doubt he is a cop, looks more like a 20 year old kid. Although i did not see the gun what else could it be...like i said it looks like a full sized pistol. rides up on his hip, sticks out 2-3inches, its a gun. Now, kinda makes me uncomfortable. being in school and all. He doesn't look like the type to go on a crazy shooting spree but more like the type that has it to be cool. Just saying its a felony to have it on campus. And i am pretty sure even if you are a uniformed cop that happens to be taking class you still have to disclose that you will be bringing a firearm on campus. How should i handle it? I did report it to the campus police but the receptionist didn't seem to interested and there were no officers in the office, she said if he has it next week give them a call. But i am not about to confront the kid or snitch on him basically in front of his face.

trip286 09-15-2011 12:56 AM

Well that's a strange situation. Gun on campus (felony), calling the campus police and them not doing anything. Wow. One option might be to just talk to the guy, make friends with him. You said he doesn't seem the type to go on a shooting spree, and he might actually be a cop you just never know. And as far as disclosure, does a person have to disclose it to everyone they come in contact with? or just the campus PD and the administrators?

You know from this forum that a lot of gun owners are pretty cool people, so just holler at the guy and see what he's like.

Car54 09-15-2011 01:06 AM

Talk to the professor about your concerns and ask him/her to approach the student.

Flat4sti 09-15-2011 01:22 AM

I far as I know if you are a cop and come on campus for any reason other than a call or you are a campus cop you need to disclose to the campus police that you are bringing it. I had a buddy that worked in the university security of Nova South Eastern as an investigator...mostly thefts of laptops, baker acting people, trespassing etc....he told me about the disclosure thing. I had several people say go to the cops and that is when the chick kinda of gave me the cold shoulder like she wasn't to be bothered. maybe its just lucky for the kid.

MrWray 09-15-2011 01:23 AM

Thts crazy tht campus police didnt jump all over tht and investigate it, like it was said the guy may be a cop but until its confirmed wat and why he is carrying its still not something tht should be ingored....not even for a second.

canebrake 09-15-2011 02:22 AM

It's Ft. Lauderdale. :cool:

We all carry down here!

CourtJester 09-15-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

I did report it to the campus police
If it were me.... I would pull the guy aside before class, apologize to the guy for being a nark

Quote:

But i am not about to confront the kid or snitch on him basically in front of his face

then apologize for being a scared nark

then inform him that from here on out your aren't going to say a damn word because it's nice to know there is protection in the room if things get stupid, then inform him that he needs to wear a jacket or a sweat shirt so he isn't charged with a felony in the future.

Just my two cents.

ScottA 09-15-2011 02:46 AM

Gee CJ... lighten up.

You have done what you are supposed to. You reported your suspicion to the campus police.

If you want to play investigator, just go up and ask what he's carrying.

CA357 09-15-2011 02:47 AM

Repeat after me: "Dude, your gun is printing, hide that sucker better." Then smile. ;)

Durangokid 09-15-2011 02:56 AM

Why are you playing detective? If he is a gun ownner and not bothering anyone leave him alone. In this part of the country he would not even look out of place.:D