Looking for a Pocket carry Pistol?? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Looking for a Pocket carry Pistol??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks guys. Lots of good info and more choices than what I thought.
I'm gonna go put a deposit down on something this Friday. I'll let y'all know what I decide
Decisions decisions

Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #22

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My year round ccw is a Taurus PT 740 (40SW) slim. Super concealable and packs a punch. You can also look at the PT 709 (9mm)or TCP (380). Ruger's LC9 or LCP are also very compact.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I have the LC9. It's my EDC...and Back up to bigger .9's if we should have a Sierra Hotel Tango Foxtrot.
Also shot a new friend's Sig 238 this past Saturday at the range....Very nice..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
I don't pocket carry right now. If I were to ever start, I'd personally want a 9mm. Just my own prejudice.

IMO, the most important stat in terms of size for pocket carry is probably the width. In this regard, if I were to buy one right now for pocket carry, based on this chart I'd go with the Diamondback DB9. .80" wide is hard to beat. It's closest competitor is the Kel-Tec PF-9 coming in at .84".

Of course, that's having never shot or held either gun. Those two things are pretty important.

Of course, extremely light guns like that in 9mm, I imagine would be a royal pain in the *** to shoot. I believe whole-heartedly in training and being familiar with any gun I CCW. A heavier gun would of course be more pleasant to shoot. In THAT regard, the AMT Backup and Kahr (in stainless steel slide) are the heaviest in 9mm. The AMT wins out because its a touch thinner. And it has a much nicer price point. But you lose out on one round capacity.

I'm not really trying to influence your decision. Just thinking out loud here.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #25

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

If I feel like I have to choose between fashion and self protection, I will go for self protection every time. I also live in the FL panhandle and I choose my wardrobe to match my carry, not the other way around.

I know a lot of people do it, but pocket carry just won't work for me. I am not a good enough shot to depend on a .380 to save my life...... I have yet to see a pocket big enough to carry, and keep ready for quick deployment, a 1911.

Carl Sagan
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #26

Liked 164 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-panhandle
It's summer here in Florida and I live in shorts and t-shirts. I currently have a M&P shield 40 cal with IWB holster but in shorts this is a little uncomfortable. I'm thinking about getting a pocket pistol, what are my options? Do I have to go with .380?
I live 350 miles South of you in Miami!! So I know how hot weather can effect what you carry!! Say what you want!! You can't conceal med or big frame Hogs in hot weather, without either printing badly or being uncomfortable!! I carry the LC9 for most everyday carry, fits nice in shorts or in a holster in the waist! 9mm 7+1 mag!! But when I really want to get close to naked!! Lol I carry the LCP 380! Nice little pocket gun that will conceal in anything that has a pouch or pocket!! The LCP is accurate from 30 feet in, it will not move mountains but defiantly capable of ruining someone's day-

Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I live 350 miles South of you in Miami!! So I know how hot weather can effect what you carry!! Say what you want!! You can't conceal med or big frame Hogs in hot weather, without either printing badly or being uncomfortable!! I carry the LC9 for most everyday carry, fits nice in shorts or in a holster in the waist! 9mm 7+1 mag!! But when I really want to get close to naked!! Lol I carry the LCP 380! Nice little pocket gun that will conceal in anything that has a pouch or pocket!! The LCP is accurate from 30 feet in, it will not move mountains but defiantly capable of ruining someone's day-
If you do choose to pocket a pistol, keep it in a pocket hoister and keep in mind your access(draw) will be much slower!! I throw my little 380 in my pocket only when I can't hoister on my waist!! But the little LC9(compact 9mm) will usually work with shorts and t-shirts!! You might see a slight print in some clothes, but no biggie, most think its a cell case or something!!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #28

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post

Sorry but I disagree everyone is a little different I live just NW of you in North Port and have been carrying a Colt lightweight commander.It is absolutely comfortable to carry all day long in both hot and cool weather.I have had no issues like has already been said I dress around my carry selection cargo shorts and large t-shirt or button up shortsleve.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored

Sorry but I disagree everyone is a little different I live just NW of you in North Port and have been carrying a Colt lightweight commander.It is absolutely comfortable to carry all day long in both hot and cool weather.I have had no issues like has already been said I dress around my carry selection cargo shorts and large t-shirt or button up shortsleve.
Some dress around there carry!! And some carry around there dress!! Most important thing is to carry and have something for all possible occasions!! Even Cargo shorts can be hot and uncomfortable in summer heat!! Especially if you hang out on the beach a lot!! I carry something and I think it's important but I don't let my carry run my life or decide what I wear! But that's just my personally take!! There is some that will compromise comfort or quality of living for ideal carry, I respect that, but that's not how I roll!!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #30

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

I looked, held and dry fired the Taurus p709, Kel Tec pf9 and sccy cpx2 and I gotta tell ya.....
I'm going tomorrow to get the Kel Tec.

It's the lightest slim 9 mm on the market, fit my hand and trigger pull wasn't to bad. I also liked the Taurus but its a little heavier than the Kel Tec
Forget the sccy. Didn't like how it felt.

I guess that's gonna be my pocket carry.
I also checked the Berretta Nano, that's in another class than the other 3 but it was to heavy for pocket carry IMO.

I'll give y'all a range report in a couple of weeks.