Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Looking at pocket 380 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/looking-pocket-380-a-45897/)

Gmanpoke 07-28-2011 02:50 AM

Looking at pocket 380

My main range pistol is a Sig P220 and Colt King Cobra.

I'm looking at some 380 pocket pistols, but my concern is getting use to the double action trigger pull.

Because of my concern, I'm considering the Sig P238. Before I make my final decision, thought I would ask other's experience with getting use to the trigger pull on the:

Ruger LCP
S&W Bodyguard

orangello 07-28-2011 04:33 AM

I have no hands-on experience with the firearmst you have listed. I'm only posting to ask if you have considered one of the Bersa's? I had a Bersa Thunder .380 that i really liked until my sister decided she liked it more. The trigger pull isn't bad, and the pistol is compact and light. I will have another one in the flat nickel finish by Christmas.

JonM 07-28-2011 04:39 AM

Ill second the bersa thunder. They come in 7+1 and 15+1 varieties. Trigger pull in da is pretty damn good for a da/sa gun. I like it better than my sig p220 trigger.

CHLChris 07-28-2011 05:31 AM

I carry an LCP pretty much all the time during the summer. The P238 is a different animal in terms of platform AND size.

If size/weight is paramount, then the LCP is really hard to beat. On paper the small differences between the Sig and the Ruger don't sound like much, but in the hand and in the pocket, they make a HUGE difference.

Now, if platform (in this case single action with an external safety) is important to you, the P238 is absolutely unmatched! And it is pretty small.

Just not as extremely small as the LCP.

What's more important to you?

ScottA 07-28-2011 03:13 PM

I carry the Bodyguard 380 daily. I haven't found the DA trigger pull to be an issue, and prefer DA for pocket carry. I can shoot it with plenty of accuracy for its intended purpose.

That said, the Sig has the best trigger of all the 380's on the market today and is a world apart from the S&W, Ruger, Kel-Tec, etc. But that's what you would expect from its SA trigger.

I am not comfortable carrying the Sig trigger in my pocket. In an exterior holster, I think it would be fine, but not in my pocket. It is too crisp and too light for my comfort level. I'm afraid I'd wind up putting a hole in my leg.

ET1 07-31-2011 12:30 AM

I bought a TCP last year. It has been fine until recently. I have to send it back because it is failing to eject now. I might wish I had gone with a Ruger instead. You might want to look at the new Ruger 9 that just came out. Just a thought...

CHLChris 07-31-2011 01:11 AM

If the larger family of 9mm pocket pistols (PM9, PF9, LC9, etc.) fits for you, then by all means go with a 9mm. It is the stouter round.

But there really is no comparison size-wise with the LCP, which veritably disappears in your pocket.

Werminator 07-31-2011 02:19 AM

I would agree with CHLChris on this issue. If I was in the market for something I could carry everyday and may be using to defend my life I would go with a larger caliber than the .380 and not just because I feel the .380 lacks some power but also because ammo is far more available for the 9mm chambering, often cheaper to shoot, and the defensive rounds like hollowpoints have a different dynamic for these two calibers. From what I have seen, read, and experimented with, a hollowpoint from my RugerSR9 opens up very readily and does a lot of damage while the hollowpoints from a borrowed LCP and from a borrowed Bersa Thunder both collapsed inward instead of expanding outward. This wasn't all the time or even a majority but maybe about 30% of the .380 rounds we played with seemed to leave a very very small hole both going into our target and coming out the back. My buddy had a bullet trap behind our target and we compared the rounds and I just do not have the confidence the .380 would be one I would count on to protect me. That said, it is still far superior to buying a full size gun you would carry all the time.

NOVA 07-31-2011 03:25 AM

got a BG 380 on layaway

picking up my BG 380 next paycheck. I have subscribed to this thread to remind me to give you a range report when I get a chance. The few times I tried the trigger pull at the store I was OK with it. I may not be the most experienced person posting here, but I'll give you my opinion for what its worth.

NOVA 08-07-2011 03:34 AM

Well I can see this thread may be almost done but I promised a range report so here it is.
I only shot 100 rounds through the BodyGuard 380 today. Trigger started smoothing out a little, so I figure its starting to break in and probably needs at least two or three hundred more rounds before the trigger smoothes out. In the first one hundred rounds today I had one FTE and one fail to fire (not a hang fire) the hammer came down after the trigger pull but no bang, second trigger pull did the job. Was shooting FMJ, by the way.

Groups were decently tight at very close range of 7 feet. I wanted to establish a baseline for what cold be a typical scenario in a self defense situation. My groups were less than 4" at 10 feet. Remember, I'm NEW at this, so if you are an experienced shooter your results will probably be much better. Also shot at 15, 20 and 25 feet, with and without the laser trace. Sites are not very big on this gun and the relatively short site radius works against me, as I need reading glasses to see any sites - this problem is not as pronounced when I shoot rifles with iron sites, for instance. But then the target gets blurry at distances greater than 15 feet. So I did the best I could and got most of the rounds on my targets I printed on 8 1/2 x 11" paper. Beyond 20 feet, my accuracy began to suffer and about 9 out of 12 shots were on paper, but that's just me, not the gun.

Recoil not too bad, was able to get back on target pretty easy and quick. The trace? It stayed centered, did not move and works well. I set the dot to the top of the sites at 10 feet and so at 20 feet I noticed the dot was maybe 2" higher than impact point. My thinking is that if you have the presence of mind to turn on the trace, good on you, but I doubt if most people will remember to press the button when they are drawing the weapon in a real emergency. Crimson Trace has the better concept - you don't have to think about it, the laser is on if your hand is on the grip.

The improved take down pin has solved the problem earlier BG models had.

This is my first pocket pistol. In the store, when I first held it, it felt good- the extended boot on the mag added just enough length to get two fingers on the grip. But my pinky has nothing to grip on, so back at the range I had to adjust my two hand grip. Also tried single hand, strong hand with good results. Overall, this gun is easy to handle. The grip width and thickness makes it easier to hold on to this little gun, I think. After the range I went back to the LGS where I bought it and looked at a used Kel Tec P3AT. Noticed one thing the BG has that the Kel tec does not, a slide lock.

I'll keep the BG 380. It will definitely NOT ever be my EDC, but IMO it serves the purpose a pocket gun was built for.

Note: I had to edit this post i meant to say I got 9 out of 12 ON paper at 20 feet.