Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Looking for a new CCW gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/looking-new-ccw-gun-77425/)

victorzamora 11-30-2012 06:39 PM

Looking for a new CCW gun

Hey guys, I've got a dilemma y'all might be able to help with. The guns that matter that I currently own are a PX4 subcompact in 9mm and a Taurus 1911 in 9mm. PX4 was my first gun, and I was hoping it could be big enough for the range and small enough for CCW. It is, but it's almost too small for range and too big for carry. I'm looking for a smaller gun for CCW, and I was hoping to stay in 9mm. I love Beretta, and love my Px4...but it's just too big for EDC. I'm 6'6" 260#, so I'm not small. The gun doesn't print (I don't think) but it's not a small gun and does get annoying/uncomfortable some times.

I'm trying to keep it under about $400, but would probably be willing to stretch that a little bit if it's really worth it.

I've been looking at the Beretta Nano, KelTec PF9, Diamondback DB9, Ruger LC9, and the Kahr CM9....in order of current preferences.

danf_fl 11-30-2012 06:58 PM

There are plenty to chose from.
But the price limit reduces choices.

Although I am not suggesting a firearm, I would like to offer a suggestion.

I have a number of handguns I have purchased over the years. But I keep going back to just a couple. The rest sit in the safe.

Some I've purchased knowing that they were inexpensive, but I thought they would suit the purpose. (Most didn't)
So what do I have? A bunch of money tied up in guns that I will not be able to recoup my investment.
Had I really thought about it, I would have been better off buying the few I ended up with.
5' 11", about 190, my few are:
Dan Wesson C-BOB in 10mm
Ed Brown Kobra Carry in .45
A full sized 1911a1 built on a Fusion Firearms frame
H&K PSP P7
PPK/s in .380
Kel-Tec P3AT

And for fun, two S&W revolvers, a Mdl 15-2, and a Mdl 12-2.

Do I carry them, yes. Each are carried at one time or another.

johnr43 11-30-2012 07:01 PM

I have a Ruger LC9. Not my favorite pistol in the world, but rock solid. It will serve its purpose if ever it needs to do so. Reasonably priced also.

Griffworks 12-01-2012 02:41 AM

I really like the XD Sub-Compact and Service (4" barrel) lines, as well as Glock's. Those are what I own and can recommend with 100% confidence. I've fired the M&P Compacts quite a bit in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP and like those, as well.

Heard good things about the Kahr's and have fired a variety of Rugers and Taurus' (Taurii?) in 9mm and .40 S&W.

MoreAltitude 12-01-2012 03:31 AM

I'm going to ask if southern eagles mean anything to you there Vic.

victorzamora 12-01-2012 04:03 PM

Dan, of all of those guns, the only one fitting my current wants would be the P3AT....but I'd prefer the PF9. How do you like your P3AT?

John, what about the LC9 did you dislike? What did you like?

Griff, those XD's are no smaller than my current carry piece....which defeats the purpose of me getting a new one. I want something smaller than what I currently carry.

More altitude: I had to google it....so I guess my answer is "no." Did you think I was a soaring buddy? I wish I could get into flying in a bigger way.

hardluk1 12-01-2012 04:54 PM

Victor I sent a pm but after seeing the 380 p3at you should also like at the ever so slightly larger and 1 1/2oz heavier taurus tcp 380. The best trigger for the bunch, slide hold open , fires with mag out and better sights with still not much. Prices also run from 180 to $260 depending on oxid3 steel slide to black SS and 1 or 2 mags with it. We have two of them in the family now along with a cm9 and cw9. Owned a pf9 and p11 is son-in laws cc. All work like a good handgun should.

HOSSFLY 12-01-2012 04:58 PM

1st that come to mind is the Ruger SR9C :)

victorzamora 12-01-2012 06:32 PM

Hardluk: I'm hoping to stay 9mm, but you're right....the TCP will be on my list if I start looking at 380. Thanks for that! Also, thanks for the PM...very helpful. Unfortunately, no ranges near me rent guns.

Hossfly: That SR9C is longer than my Px4 and not any lighter. It's defeating the purpose of getting another gun.

danf_fl 12-01-2012 06:43 PM

When I was looking at the Kel-Tec, Ruger was displayed also.
I thought the Kel-Tec was smoother in racking the slide.
I liked the trigger in dry fire over the Ruger.
It does not hold open on last round.
Mags are available, but extra Ruger mags are more plentiful.
Fobus makes a paddle for the Kel-Tec.
I'm still working on some kind of accuracy.