Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Looking for new carry pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts

Default Looking for new carry pistol

I guy I work with wants to buy my Jimenez ja22 for $130, so I figure ill put that money towards a new carry gun. I want something smaller than my sr9c for summer months. I've narrowed it down to ruger lc9 or keltec pf9. Want to hear what you guys & gals think. Does any one own the keltec and does it really have as many problems as the reviews say. Thanks in advance for any input

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

I'd look seriously at the Kahr CM9 instead.

The LC9 is a good gun in that is quality enough it'll go bang when you pull the trigger, but aside from that I hated mine. Worst trigger I ever experienced, imagine the KelTec is pretty much the same. The SR9c had a great trigger. The CM9 has a very good trigger.

Granted some don't seem to be bothered by poor quality triggers. Some even love the extreme length of these LC trigs. Even that I could let go, but it's just uneven and mushy, horrendously so.

Just my take.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I carry a Kahr PM9. I'm very impressed with Kahr triggers.

Between the two you mentioned, I would lean towards the Ruger.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #4

So you guys say kahr, hmm just so happens that my local scheels ( omaha ne) has two of the cm9's there $469. I think I'll go back and check them out, see how they feel in hand. From your experience will the cm9 or the lc9 make that much of a difference in conceal ability over the sr9c. I love the sr during winter spring & fall, was just looking for a bit smaller during summer.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wieseman71 View Post
So you guys say kahr, hmm just so happens that my local scheels ( omaha ne) has two of the cm9's there $469. I think I'll go back and check them out, see how they feel in hand. From your experience will the cm9 or the lc9 make that much of a difference in conceal ability over the sr9c. I love the sr during winter spring & fall, was just looking for a bit smaller during summer.
The CM9 is tiny! Perfect summer concealed gun...

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/kahr-cm9

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/ruger-lc9

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/ruger-sr9c

Just compare the size stats, says it all man!

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-26-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
I have a SR9C as well. There's a definite difference.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 05-26-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

A little larger option is a Beretta Storm subcompact. Holds 14 9mm with one in the pipe. I purchased it for my wife, but her hands cannot rack the slide. So I now have another carry option. These go for about 519 if you look around.

Double action, then single action. Exposed hammer. Decocker with safety.

Glad my wife did not want it, because I really like it.

forumrunner_20130525_231222.jpg  

Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #8

I'll definitely be going to scheels to see how the cm9 feels. It's a bit more than I planed on spending but my family's protection is worth it.
AR10 thanks for the suggestion but I want to stay with a single stack magazine for as slim as posable. Any other suggestions I'm listening ( reading I guess ).

Old 05-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
I'll definitely be going to scheels to see how the cm9 feels. It's a bit more than I planed on spending but my family's protection is worth it.
AR10 thanks for the suggestion but I want to stay with a single stack magazine for as slim as posable. Any other suggestions I'm listening ( reading I guess ).
I wish I had waited for one, CM9, instead of getting the LC9 & LCP!

And the Beretta is an amazing gun, as is pretty much everything they make, it's basically the replacement of the Cougar, which wasn't a necessary replacement, but my what an achievement!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #10

I looked at the nano but it seemed a bit bigger than the lc9 more like the shield. Both great guns I'm sure but not as slim as I'd like.