looking for ccw revolver any ideas?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > looking for ccw revolver any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default looking for ccw revolver any ideas?

Never owned a revolver yet. Shot a few smiths in 357mag would like to get somthing along those lines. Also any good every day hoslters?

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I don't own any revolvers (yet) but I have some friends that love their ruger sp101's and ruger lcr's. As for holsters, I have for my autos, crossbreed, n82 and mika. There are so many holster choices out there it's mind bending... Good luck.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtelli71 View Post
I don't own any revolvers (yet) but I have some friends that love their ruger sp101's and ruger lcr's. As for holsters, I have for my autos, crossbreed, n82 and mika. There are so many holster choices out there it's mind bending... Good luck.
Thanx just stopped at cabelas guna take a look at the rugers.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7101 Times on 4274 Posts
Likes Given: 8608

I agree. Ruger LCR.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Ruger LCR has a fantastic trigger, but don't plan on actually shooting 357 out of it. It is just too light for the recoil. I found I had to adjust my grip after each shot. That would probably be true for any of the really lightweight revolvers. That's not something I would want to deal with in a situation where my life depended on it.

An SP101 is about as small and light that I would recommend if you plan on 357.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #6

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I love Ruger myself. I own a bunch of them. But I also own an original S&W586. It is a 357 mag. They are now selling the 686 brand new again. It is the stainless version. They are supposed to be great for IDPA. I would look at one of those in a 4 inch. If you are looking for a snubby, the 642 is a really good gun. I have one that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster. You can forget that it is there. Blackhawk makes a really nice leather holster for the snubbies. It is outside the waistband. The front of the holster is split. There is an elastic band that holds the gun rearward. The trigger guard provides the retention. It is an excellent holster. Mine is left handed.

j-frame-holster.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8852 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

I still carry a S&W Mdl 36- BUT- as we have said before- go find a range that rents guns to shoot on the range. And remember that the most effective gun is the one you are wearing- and not the one left at home because it was too bulky or too heavy.

Many of the "weighs less than the dust in the air around it" type handguns HURT to shoot.

If I chose a revolver today it would be stainless, and have a bobbed hammer or be hammerless. .357 is a good choice- you have options with ammo.

Holsters? HAH! You will accumulate holsters like your significant other accumulates purses and shoes! Depends on how you are comfortable carrying. It should have good retention, protect the trigger, and be easy for YOU to get the gun out. I have at least a footlocker full of different holsters.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My choice would be a short barreled Model 19. Second choice would be a Ruger SP 101 or GP 100 -- if you didn't want to shoot 'em you could beat 'em to death with it.

A plastic revolver is just WRONG.

Last edited by txpossum; 06-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I still carry a S&W Mdl 36- BUT- as we have said before- go find a range that rents guns to shoot on the range. And remember that the most effective gun is the one you are wearing- and not the one left at home because it was too bulky or too heavy.

Many of the "weighs less than the dust in the air around it" type handguns HURT to shoot.

If I chose a revolver today it would be stainless, and have a bobbed hammer or be hammerless. .357 is a good choice- you have options with ammo.

Holsters? HAH! You will accumulate holsters like your significant other accumulates purses and shoes! Depends on how you are comfortable carrying. It should have good retention, protect the trigger, and be easy for YOU to get the gun out. I have at least a footlocker full of different holsters.
I liked the Model 36, had one for years, wish I still had one.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I love Ruger myself. I own a bunch of them. But I also own an original S&W586. It is a 357 mag. They are now selling the 686 brand new again. It is the stainless version. They are supposed to be great for IDPA. I would look at one of those in a 4 inch. If you are looking for a snubby, the 642 is a really good gun. I have one that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster. You can forget that it is there. Blackhawk makes a really nice leather holster for the snubbies. It is outside the waistband. The front of the holster is split. There is an elastic band that holds the gun rearward. The trigger guard provides the retention. It is an excellent holster. Mine is left handed.
I like the rugers cabelas only had then im 38+p. I also fell in love with the smith 686. Not a carry gun for me just seems like a real good solid range gun. I think theres still alot of looking and resurch to do. Keep tue responces coming. Thanx alot guys!!