Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   looking for ccw revolver any ideas? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/looking-ccw-revolver-any-ideas-91973/)

duddie10 06-08-2013 03:01 PM

looking for ccw revolver any ideas?

Never owned a revolver yet. Shot a few smiths in 357mag would like to get somthing along those lines. Also any good every day hoslters?

Jtelli71 06-09-2013 12:32 PM

I don't own any revolvers (yet) but I have some friends that love their ruger sp101's and ruger lcr's. As for holsters, I have for my autos, crossbreed, n82 and mika. There are so many holster choices out there it's mind bending... Good luck.

duddie10 06-09-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtelli71 (Post 1271813)
I don't own any revolvers (yet) but I have some friends that love their ruger sp101's and ruger lcr's. As for holsters, I have for my autos, crossbreed, n82 and mika. There are so many holster choices out there it's mind bending... Good luck.

Thanx just stopped at cabelas guna take a look at the rugers.

winds-of-change 06-09-2013 02:11 PM

I agree. Ruger LCR.

ScottA 06-09-2013 02:19 PM

Ruger LCR has a fantastic trigger, but don't plan on actually shooting 357 out of it. It is just too light for the recoil. I found I had to adjust my grip after each shot. That would probably be true for any of the really lightweight revolvers. That's not something I would want to deal with in a situation where my life depended on it.

An SP101 is about as small and light that I would recommend if you plan on 357.

Rick1967 06-09-2013 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love Ruger myself. I own a bunch of them. But I also own an original S&W586. It is a 357 mag. They are now selling the 686 brand new again. It is the stainless version. They are supposed to be great for IDPA. I would look at one of those in a 4 inch. If you are looking for a snubby, the 642 is a really good gun. I have one that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster. You can forget that it is there. Blackhawk makes a really nice leather holster for the snubbies. It is outside the waistband. The front of the holster is split. There is an elastic band that holds the gun rearward. The trigger guard provides the retention. It is an excellent holster. Mine is left handed.

c3shooter 06-09-2013 02:53 PM

I still carry a S&W Mdl 36- BUT- as we have said before- go find a range that rents guns to shoot on the range. And remember that the most effective gun is the one you are wearing- and not the one left at home because it was too bulky or too heavy.

Many of the "weighs less than the dust in the air around it" type handguns HURT to shoot.

If I chose a revolver today it would be stainless, and have a bobbed hammer or be hammerless. .357 is a good choice- you have options with ammo.

Holsters? HAH! You will accumulate holsters like your significant other accumulates purses and shoes! Depends on how you are comfortable carrying. It should have good retention, protect the trigger, and be easy for YOU to get the gun out. I have at least a footlocker full of different holsters.

txpossum 06-09-2013 02:59 PM

My choice would be a short barreled Model 19. Second choice would be a Ruger SP 101 or GP 100 -- if you didn't want to shoot 'em you could beat 'em to death with it.

A plastic revolver is just WRONG.

txpossum 06-09-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1271935)
I still carry a S&W Mdl 36- BUT- as we have said before- go find a range that rents guns to shoot on the range. And remember that the most effective gun is the one you are wearing- and not the one left at home because it was too bulky or too heavy.

Many of the "weighs less than the dust in the air around it" type handguns HURT to shoot.

If I chose a revolver today it would be stainless, and have a bobbed hammer or be hammerless. .357 is a good choice- you have options with ammo.

Holsters? HAH! You will accumulate holsters like your significant other accumulates purses and shoes! Depends on how you are comfortable carrying. It should have good retention, protect the trigger, and be easy for YOU to get the gun out. I have at least a footlocker full of different holsters.

I liked the Model 36, had one for years, wish I still had one.

duddie10 06-09-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1271905)
I love Ruger myself. I own a bunch of them. But I also own an original S&W586. It is a 357 mag. They are now selling the 686 brand new again. It is the stainless version. They are supposed to be great for IDPA. I would look at one of those in a 4 inch. If you are looking for a snubby, the 642 is a really good gun. I have one that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster. You can forget that it is there. Blackhawk makes a really nice leather holster for the snubbies. It is outside the waistband. The front of the holster is split. There is an elastic band that holds the gun rearward. The trigger guard provides the retention. It is an excellent holster. Mine is left handed.

I like the rugers cabelas only had then im 38+p. I also fell in love with the smith 686. Not a carry gun for me just seems like a real good solid range gun. I think theres still alot of looking and resurch to do. Keep tue responces coming. Thanx alot guys!!