Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Looking for a ccw.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Does anyone carry the Remington 1911r1
Or the kimber 1911 or a Taurus 1911
Or a spring xd or xdm?
I'm looking for a good ccw and my eyes are more towards those guns really caught on the rem 1911r1 can anyone help??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by atic45 View Post
Does anyone carry the Remington 1911r1
Or the kimber 1911 or a Taurus 1911
Or a spring xd or xdm?
I'm looking for a good ccw and my eyes are more towards those guns really caught on the rem 1911r1 can anyone help??
Some things you might want to consider are weight, size and magazine capacity...unfortunately the 1911 loses in all three categories.

Hi capacity polymer pistols like the xd and xdm are several ounces lighter than an all metal 1911. Also, the available 3" barrels and shorter grip length on the sub compact models aid in concealment. That being said, the 1911 is a damn sexy piece of hardware and Remington got it right from all reviews that I have read. If you have the build and stamina to hump it around all day by all means go for it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #3

I like my diamondback db9 it has been reliable since day 1. Can carry it in my front pocket

Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jpyle pretty much covered it.

A self-defense tool doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. And it has to be reliable. As nice as many of the 1911 offerings out there are, I'll take a lighter, higher capacity polymer semi-auto any day.

I personally carry an XD-40 service (4" bbl) in a SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster. I occasionally swap out an XD-9 subcompact. They are available from Springfield Armory with tritium night sights as an option, or there are many other aftermarket sights available as well, such as TFOs.

There are several torture tests on Glocks and XDs out there that demonstrate these guns reliability. To steal a line from Timex®, they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Other manufacturers have similar models as well, but I just happen to be more familiar with the XD, as I have carried it since 2003.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II, it is easy to conceal, good shooter. I'm saving up for a Colt Commander now.

Can't help you on the Remington, the Taurus is cheaper but has some potential, the XD and XDM are fine if you like them.

Try to rent one or borrow one to try before you buy if you can.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

My opinion:
The best ccw is the one that will be with you when you need it. I carry a Kimber Ultra (alloy frame) every day. It's on me when I tile the floor, work on the car, work the tractor, or go to the store. The holland holster is the key to an easy carry. If it's not at hand when you need it, you might as well have a cucumber in the refridgerator.

The best ccw is one that can quickly and accurately deployed. The 1911 is just the best choice for me. I shoot best, and shoot most with the 1911.

In the past, a 2 1/2" SW 19 worked fine in the trim bianchi holster.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #7

I carry a Ruger SR9C with the 10 round mag and one chambered. It stays in a Tommy Theis IWB and at my side all day. It is your choice. If you are not comfortable with it in all aspects, you wont carry. It will do you no good. I love 1911s and I am told that they have smaller models for ccw. Try em out. Just remember, be comfortable, be confident, and be safe.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I conceal carry the Phoenix HP22, works fine for me.
Easy to hide, smooth to shoot, one shot center mass and it's over.

phoenix-hp22.jpg  

Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
I conceal carry the Phoenix HP22, works fine for me.
Easy to hide, smooth to shoot, one shot center mass and it's over.
I would question the wisdom of selecting a .22LR as my self defense handgun, but, as the saying goes, the .22 in your pocket beats the .45 you left on your dresser any day......

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
I would question the wisdom of selecting a .22LR as my self defense handgun...
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

Incapacitation from a .22 (short, long rifle)

# of people shot - 154
# of hits - 213
% of hits that were fatal - 34%
Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.38
% of people who were not incapacitated - 31%
One-shot-stop % - 31%
Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 76%
% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 60%