Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Looking to CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Looking to CCW

With all that is going on and the fact that in the coming months I will become a father, I am thinking seriously to start carrying. I have been researching laws for my area (I live in St. Clair county in Alabama). I am wondering what all that I may need to be aware of or know about concealed carry.

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, being a dad and a grandpa, I can tell you that you're going to have to budget. Both your time and your money.
I'm going to recommend a large-capacity 9mm sub-compact which you can comfortably shoot with either hand. Tactically speaking, you need to be able to make it rain bullets while compromising your stance, and a double-stack 9mm semi is my choice for that situation.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cameron, 6/9/09

Congratulations on your impending new arrival.

Deciding you want to CCW is an important step in protection for you and your family. The best thing you can do to become proficient with carrying is to do a lot of training and reading. For training, check NRA, the National Rifle Association website. They have a number of pistol training courses. Check Handgunlaw.us for carry information on a state by state basis. I also used google in the past and would type in "firearms training" and then add my particular state. This would give you some other options for in-state training. And carrying a concealed weapon involves a lot more than just picking a pistol. You need to pick a good holster. find a place to practice frequently, and have the appropriate clothing to cover your weapon. There are a number of pistol clubs, IDPA and IPSC/USPSA where practical shooting matches take place, at levels ranging from beginner to master. This is a good way to meet other locals who carry and can give you tips. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure about Alabama, but in NC, go to Conceal Carry Class and if like here, should know about carrying when you get through. Congrats on the new baby and remember the little one is helpless, so it's up to you to protect them.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #5

Alabama does issue carry and conceal weapon (CCW) permits. Alabama is unusual in that the county sheriff has broad discretion on the issue of CCW permits. Check with your local Sheriff's Office and go to Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens for details on your county. The following steps will show you how to get a concealed weapon permit in Alabama.

Step 1

Be at least 18 years old and a resident of Alabama. The county sheriff can set the minimum age limit higher.

Step 2

Fill out a CCW application at your county Sheriff's Office. If granted, the permit is good for up to one year from the date of issue. Alabama law states that the applicant must have a good reason for carrying a concealed firearm, but in practice a permit is generally granted to anyone who qualifies. Alabama counties are not required to run a background check although most do, so Alabama's CCW permit cannot serve as a National Instant Criminal System (NICS) check.

Step 3

Provide photo identification and other documents required by your county. Some counties require training while others do not. The fee for a carry and conceal permit varies depending on the county.

Step 4

Look at the Alabama attorney general's opinion at State of Alabama Attorney General's Office arguing that city and county governments can not prohibit city or county workers from carrying concealed firearms on the job. Only law enforcement officials may carry a pistol into a public school or within 1,000 feet of a demonstration.

Step 5

Present the CCW permit to a law enforcement officer upon demand.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you are thinking about CCW read this then reread this

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f63/read-before-you-decide-carry-11962/

Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
If you are thinking about CCW read this then reread this

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f63/read-before-you-decide-carry-11962/
I can't view that topic because I'm don't have the rights to access it, or whatever. Can you post a copy or give me a summary?

But thanks for all the other links. Some I have seen and some I haven't.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #8

I cannot comment on the laws in the state of Alabama as I am only familiar with Texas laws regarding Concealed Handguns. But in reference to a gun to carry, there are a couple that I use:

Ruger LCP - 380 cal.
Colt New Agent - 45 ACP

The Ruger is deffinately smaller, but you give up knockdown power for lightweight and easily concealed. The Colt with it's 45 acp deffinately has the knockdown power, but is still small enough to carry concealed.

Texas Concealed Handgun Classes for the Southeast Texas area.
Texas CHL License

Old 06-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #9

I have an Alabama CCW. It just takes a few months and $10 or so. I'm up in Madison County. You just can't bring it into a Courthouse, school, or bar. It may be common sense, but don't carry if you've been drinking at all. I use a COMPTAC Minotaur IWB holster for my Glock 19 and carry Speer Gold Dot .124 gr +P hollowpoints. I like the COMPTAC holsters because they're really comfortable (especially the Minotaur), they protect the gun from perspiration better than some other ones, and you can change out the plastic part to fit other handguns. It was a close call between Gold Dot and the Federal +P+ hollow points. I found a recipe for ballistics gel, which is pretty easy to make, and might go compare the different hollow points if my local gun store sells them.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Budget

I don't know your financial picture, but gorknoids was right about making sure to look at the budget. Just because a good carry gun is $500, say, it doesn't mean it ends there. Here are some things to keep in mind in forming a budget:

-Laser on the grip or trigger guard (some don't like a laser)
-If not a laser, then night sights
-self-defense rounds are more expensive (at least 50, maybe 100)
-FMJ rounds (several hundred to begin practicing)
-Good IWB holster (maybe a quality gun belt)
-Gun safe (small finger-operated safes for bedside are avail.)
-Gun cleaning materials
-NRA safety class
-CCW permit fees

I am in the exact same situation as you are. I just decided to be armed to protect my family. I am starting from scratch so everything is new to me. I bought a Glock 19, which only cost about $500, but after everything is included, I'm spending about $1500 to really get started right, including the first couple of months of range practice and a couple of safety and shooting classes. When the safety of my family is at stake, I want to make sure I am ready.

Education is a life-long process, as is maintaining shooting fundamentals, but I feel as ready as I can be right now. My CCW won't be going through for a few months so I'm using my G19 to really get a firm grasp of the fundamentals before carrying in public. Later, I'm looking at the Kahr PM9 and pocket-carrying, but my G19 should carry pretty well during the upcoming winter. The Ruger LCR would be my first choice for a revolver.

Good luck!

Newest Threads