Looking at a .45 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Looking at a .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Ryan
First off, sorry about poaching your thread like I did.
I did a search for 1911 and found a youtube tutorial on the gun. Way too basic for most guys on this site but it gave me some helpfull info.

Good luck

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Thanks for the info Matt. I think I'll go to the range and see if I become a believer.
I keep hearing the term "well built 1911", meaning a good manufacturer? Like Colt or Kimber?.
I paid $700 for my Kimber Compact II and it shoots really nicely. Canebrake swears by his Colts, but the triggers on the Colts that I've fired just didn't feel as nice to me.

Try everything you can, see what you like. Take notes, and compare them before buying.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd let you sling a few hundred rounds through mine.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leglesscrow View Post
Ok, I too am in the market for a CCW! After reading this it has definitely opened my eyes to the world that is the 1911! So I went to the Kimber website and started reading. Turns out, there's only about 7000 different options and varieties on the model to choose from. So what are the suggestions as to which road to take in this "spaghetti junction"?
Buy a basic Compact II. It won't break the bank and after 500 or so rounds, it'll feel just like any other Kimber in the world.

Also, look for an older one and see if you can't pick up one that still has the forged steel frame. These will be black Compact IIs, not stainless. They're heavier, but you'll never be able to shoot it out. I prefer the feel of the heavier frame anyway. It gives the pistol better balance and more inertial resistance to recoil and flip.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Thanks for the info Matt. I think I'll go to the range and see if I become a believer.
I keep hearing the term "well built 1911", meaning a good manufacturer? Like Colt or Kimber?.
Jo - Either of those would be fine, but if you are on a budget, a Taurus PT1911 is a great deal on a well built gun as well. There are some Taurus haters out there, but I have handled and shot the weapon, and on a budget, it's a good piece.

Quote:
Ok, I too am in the market for a CCW! After reading this it has definitely opened my eyes to the world that is the 1911! So I went to the Kimber website and started reading. Turns out, there's only about 7000 different options and varieties on the model to choose from. So what are the suggestions as to which road to take in this "spaghetti junction"?
Yes, yes there are. For a CCW weapon? I would suggest going and checking out a few. Try the aluminum framed ones first, for weight, or a steel frame and slide in their 4.25" barrel.

JD

Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #25
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
The other day you guys were talking about the S&W M&P in 45. Is that 45 as good as a 1911?
The S&W feels like a 1911 in hand but it's a far different pistol. Is it as good as a 1911 that truly depends on how it is to be used. The 1911 has a better safety and the M&P has a better reaction time. I own a 1911 Kimber but I carry a M&P 45.

I didn't answer the question...politics might be in my future

Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #26

I carry a Ruger P90 in 45 here in AZ.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I carry a Ruger P345. It's a very dependable .45

Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #28

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Sorry I missed this question. So knowing my Colt basis you should be something less than surprised with my recommendation:

The Colt Light Weight Commander O4860XSE

Looking at a .45 - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

With that out of the way, take a look at any 1911 Commander (4 1/4") chambered in 45 ACP. Something like the Kimber Pro CDP II or the Pro Carry II.

*bite tongue*

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #29

My Colt 1991 is the absolute best handgun I've ever handled!
Accurate, easy to conceal, and never jams.
Wouldn't get rid of it for anyone.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #30

When I was looking for a .45, I was daunted by all the options and gizmos and whatchawigs of the 1911 (a weapon I used occsionally in the Army). My head was litterly spinning (was I spewing pea soup too?).

Then I was shown a Glock 30. It was just what I needed. It was a great gun out of the box and very reliable. Is it the perfection that a 1911 can be? No, but its still a great firearm.

I will be getting a 1911 in the future, I just need more time to absorb and understand what every option can do for the 1911 and purchase the best one for me.

Newest Threads