Looking at a .45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Looking at a .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at a .45

I am looking to buy and carry an HK .45c. Does anyone have one or share anything they have heard about how well they shoot, performance, maintenance, anything really. I am new to HKs, I know they are really well made. I'll also listen to any other suggestions in the .45 market.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ryan - Welcome to the Forum

I have the H & K USP Tactical in .45ACP. It's a good gun, but it isn't a 1911.

The pluses are that I have never had a problem with it and it's always gone bang with whatever I put through it. It's extractor spits shells WELL out of range of the shooter and clear of the weapon. The safety is a positive on/off and there is no middle ground, so you can safely carry it and feel comfortable. It features many of the 1911's key features that I like. H&K uses a polygonal barrel that is proprietary to them and it's quite accurate.

The Minuses are: It's expensive. H&K Customer Service is VERY BAD. The thing is bulky, and the grip is wide, VERY WIDE. I have large hands, I wear XL gloves in most sizes, and I can't access the slide release or the mag release with the standard address the weapon grip. H&K uses a polygonal barrel that is proprietary to them and if you shoot someone, they are going to know IMMEDIATELY what weapon it came from.

Personally, I would opt for several other choices that would run you less money and still be just as reliable.

JD

Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have a Ruger P345, which is a 45 ACP caliber. It too isn't a 1911 but it goes bang every time and it's extremely accurate. This is an affordable pistol and it's very reliable. You will find it to be one of the lighter weight 45's available and it will conceal carry fairly well. I don't conceal carry my 45 often, but when I do it's my P345. You really can't go wrong with any Ruger. H&K is a fine weapon, but it wouldn't be my first choice...

Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #4

Default concealed carry weapon

my open carry weapon is a springfield armoury xd .45 compact with night sights. It cost me about 750.00 but you cant put a price on your life so it was worth it. I haven`t had a problem with it yet and I have had it for 2 years now.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #5

John Farnam told me that we carry handguns not because they are effective, but because they are convinient.
True, HK is a huge gun. The longer you tote it, the bigger and heavier it gets. Then we tend to look for reasons not to put it on.
Hope this helps a little.
Jay

Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #6

I personal own a XD45-ACP 13 +1, this is a great firearm.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default it's no 1911 but...

Funny I just shot my buddy's H&K USP Expert .45 Sunday and gotta say that it's a hellava weapon I like all the functions both ease and locations it was deadly accurate and really fun to shoot, he also had a CZ 97B-D .45 now that was a great gun the recoil was perfect it seem to just raise and fall right back on target double taping was the best I've ever done, a real tack driver of course then I have the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45cal that I would recommend to anyone that's interested in a 4" barrel polymer weapon cause I have learned to shoot it very well... but it's got a punchy recoil and a very light trigger so I can't double tap as well with it.

Last edited by rjgnwdc; 03-03-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spellerror

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I had a German built USP years ago. It was built like a brick ****house, but it was bulky and clunky and had a less than stellar trigger on it.

I was at a gun shop/range picking up some ammo one weekend on the way out to the woods. I had read an article on the Kimbers and started looking at them. After running a box of ammo through a rental Custom II, I was hooked. I traded my USP for $400 of the $700 price of the Kimber Compact II, on the spot.

Since that day, nothing less than a well made 1911 has or will grace my hip.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

The other day you guys were talking about the S&W M&P in 45. Is that 45 as good as a 1911?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Is that 45 as good as a 1911?
BLASPHEMY!!

Have this man flogged and keel hauled IMMEDIATELY!!

NOTHING is as good as a properly built 1911. NOTHING!!

JMB for THE WIN!!

JMB by armbar for you MMA fans...

JD