Long wait for MI CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Long wait for MI CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Long wait for MI CCW

HI,
I live in Macomb County MIchigan.
I have applied for a ccw and I was told by the county clerk that my ccw permit will take 6 months or more.
I thought they had to either issue or deny in 45 days.
I am not good at waiting. They did not wait to slap $105 on my Visa.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Are you asking a legal question in a forum? I bet the state laws that apply are on the state website. You should probably read the law, yourself.

By the way, welcome to the forum! How about you go on over to the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9513 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425b

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

c3shooter is nicer than I am...much more welcoming!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in Wayne Cty. They told me and the wifey that it would take 90 days to get get ours.

They came in exactly 85 days.

I hope they were trying to "under promise and over deliver" because that would be a LONG time to wait.

The 6 months thing would probably cut down on the number of "is my permit going to be sent out anytime soon?" type of phone calls.

I'm a Realtor who sells Plymouth MI homes, I carry a Taurus 738 pocket pistol every day.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9513 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Well, if you click on the link I posted, and read WAY down, you will find this:
(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10).

The state law says they have 45 days. Max.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #7

I do not know your particulars but when I took the class the instructors told us that we could file in Lake county Ohio(suburb of Cleveland) or Cuyahoga county(Clevelands county). The wait for Lake county would be 2 weeks (actually took a matter of days) but the wait for Cleveland would be 6 months or more. I am only saying this for anyone else reading this....too late for you. Check other counties before filing.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, if you click on the link I posted, and read WAY down, you will find this:
(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10).

The state law says they have 45 days. Max.
The time element is indeed 45 day; AFTER the licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report.

However, I have never heard of anyone in Macomb County waiting for 6 months. Are you sure that she didn't say 6 WEEKS? That would be much more like it in Macomb County. Even Wayne County has improved greatly this year.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #9

Default Long wait in Machomb County MI>

Hi Everybody,
Below is a clip right from the Macomb County web site.
It states there is a 4 month wait from date of application to schedule a Gun Board meeting and the wait for a Gun Board meeting takes months. I was told at my training class that this whole thing would take about 5 or 6 weeks.

The Macomb County Clerk's office has not yet received the background check from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. When the background check is received by the Clerk's Office, your application will be processed and you will be scheduled for a Gun Board meeting (except in the case of renewals).
10. Concealed Weapon Licensing Board of Review meeting is scheduled for:
PLEASE NOTE: This date may be subject to change up to a week prior to the meeting. Once step 9 is complete, the Macomb County Clerk's office will schedule you for a Gun Board meeting, where your application will be reviewed and will either be accepted or rejected. If you are a renewal, you may not be required to attend the meeting unless you are called in specifically by the Gun Board. All new applicants must appear before the Macomb County Gun Board. Please note: due to record numbers of applications submitted across the state, it can take up to four months from date of application to schedule a Gun Board meeting, renewals can take approximately 2 months to process. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your CCW, please email clerksoffice@macombgov.org.