Logistics of carrying - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Logistics of carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I used to live in Indy, and in the spring and fall carried in a shoulder holster, as long as I could wear a jacket or coat that I could fasten at the bottom but leave open at the upper half. One thing I've noticed is that you need wide shoulders to be able to conceal a gun in a shoulder rig. If your shoulders are not pretty wide, it makes you look like your chest is lop-sided - wider on one side than on the other. This makes it obvious you are carrying.
Also, a shoulder rig can make it pretty easy for a perp to grab your gun, as the shoulder rig presents the grip of the piece to him.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
I'm taking my CCW class in the next month, but have a few practical-use/logistics questions that have been gnawing at me lately.

Is a shoulder holster only ever useful when wearing an open-fronted garment? I wear a lot of hockey jerseys and hooded sweatshirts, being from the frozen north. These are large enough on my frame to cover and conceal a shoulder rig, but will I actually be able to reach my handgun? Vertical carry is probably right out, but how about horizontal or tilt carries? I'm not averse to IWB carry, but shoulder rigs feel like they're more out of the way.
I'm already decided against pocket carry. I'm the type that likes to shove his hands in his pockets all the time, and don't want a handgun in there. I'd rather not have the fidget-factor available.

How do folks carry with young kids? My son is less than a year old, and I carry him in my left arm all the time. Is the carrying of a toddler in the same arm under which you have a handgun holstered (in a shoulder rig) a recipe for instant disaster? He's in a car set, stroller, or shopping cart seat when we're out-and-about, but the transition from one to another is what concerns me.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'm plenty familiar with hunting and military firearms, but personal concealed carry as a civilian is a horse of a different color for me.
If you have no problems reaching under your jersey to scratch you can grab your gun. There are many shoulder holster that hold the weapon in a horizontal position. The retention straps are PITA but it's a one in a million chance you will ever have to draw your gun. it's a 100% chance you will want to hold your son.

Moreover, you know when you are in a compromising situation. You might want to look into a belly holster. if you wear a T-shirt under your outer garments the belly holster is comfortable. I just use a back support as a belly holster. No one notices the 6.5" blackhawk in my back support. Including friendly LEO that would say something if they did notice it.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/