Logistics of carrying - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Logistics of carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
Can't really help you with shoulder rigs. However, I do play Mr. Mom most everyday, as do I carry. I tote my son around on my left side while I carry IWB on my 3:00. Every now and then I'll have to put him right hip. My firearm always stays concealed and secure in my holster. So while I don't prefer it, I, and you if you're comfortable enough, can get by. You'll come to find that your child will be in a cart or stroller most of the time. And really, carrying will become second nature and it'll feel odd not to have your firearm.
Good info, thanks. One of the other things that might preclude a shoulder carry when I have my son with me without the wife around is the diaper bag. I carry it cross-body, and the strap would prevent access to the holster without a lot of fumbling. Of course, once he's in the stroller or seat, the bag is as well. Should I need to draw while wearing the bag, I'd also be holding my son. In that case it'd end up being a moot point, as I'm not drawing while he's in my arms. In that case, I either hand over what I've got, or turtle over him and pray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, having one setup for CC is like having one set of shoes that you rely on for all occasions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I can GUARANTEE you, you'll end up with 5 holsters for every gun you have trying to find what works best for you, I have enough left over to see me through the rapture.
Makes sense. I have a feeling I'm going to end up in the "box o' holsters" club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relix View Post
The idea of carrying in a horizontal shoulder rig has always been uncomfortable to me. Not physically, though.

I'm always telling my students to be cautious of where the muzzle of their carry piece is pointed, even when holstered. Some people think I'm being ridiculous.

"Never point your gun at something you aren't willing to kill or destroy."

I can't imagine how many people one is likely to muzzle when using a horizontal shoulder rig.
I'm a little conflicted on this as well. While I had those rules pounded into my head for years in the Marines, we never worried about inert or grounded weapons. I'd walk in front of a Ma Deuce with a belt in and a round chambered so long as no one had their hand on the weapon.
On the other hand, I do get annoyed at the yahoos at the local Cabelas who pick up a rifle or shotgun off the used rack and sight in at a display shelf or out across the store. Every gun there has a trigger lock on it, but it's the principle of the thing.
It's a struggle between knowing the safety rules, and realizing that a handgun doesn't cook off in a shoulder rig while you're standing in line at the drugstore.

Thanks everyone. All good info. Looks like I'll be investing in a few setups to wear around the house (unloaded ) to get a feel for each system. Just can't leave the house/property til my license is in-hand. I also have to read up on the open carry rules here in Maine, and how they cover transition from concealed to open. Say, if I wear a shoulder holster under my winter jacket, and the restaurant gets too warm or what have you.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #12

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Good info, thanks. One of the other things that might preclude a shoulder carry when I have my son with me without the wife around is the diaper bag. I carry it cross-body, and the strap would prevent access to the holster without a lot of fumbling. Of course, once he's in the stroller or seat, the bag is as well. Should I need to draw while wearing the bag, I'd also be holding my son. In that case it'd end up being a moot point, as I'm not drawing while he's in my arms. In that case, I either hand over what I've got, or turtle over him and pray.

Makes sense. I have a feeling I'm going to end up in the "box o' holsters" club.

I'm a little conflicted on this as well. While I had those rules pounded into my head for years in the Marines, we never worried about inert or grounded weapons. I'd walk in front of a Ma Deuce with a belt in and a round chambered so long as no one had their hand on the weapon.
On the other hand, I do get annoyed at the yahoos at the local Cabelas who pick up a rifle or shotgun off the used rack and sight in at a display shelf or out across the store. Every gun there has a trigger lock on it, but it's the principle of the thing.
It's a struggle between knowing the safety rules, and realizing that a handgun doesn't cook off in a shoulder rig while you're standing in line at the drugstore.

Thanks everyone. All good info. Looks like I'll be investing in a few setups to wear around the house (unloaded ) to get a feel for each system. Just can't leave the house/property til my license is in-hand. I also have to read up on the open carry rules here in Maine, and how they cover transition from concealed to open. Say, if I wear a shoulder holster under my winter jacket, and the restaurant gets too warm or what have you.
When were you in? Semper Fi.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
When were you in? Semper Fi.
'98 to '02. I EAS'd the summer before before my unit deployed to Iraq for Iraqi Freedom. My stepmother used to call me every other day at college to make sure I hadn't been recalled. I patiently explained to her that they don't recall infantry grunts, just engineers and flyers.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
'98 to '02. I EAS'd the summer before before my unit deployed to Iraq for Iraqi Freedom. My stepmother used to call me every other day at college to make sure I hadn't been recalled. I patiently explained to her that they don't recall infantry grunts, just engineers and flyers.
I came in March of 98 and retired in 11. Was in 1st Bn 10th Marines by late 98.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I came in March of 98 and retired in 11. Was in 1st Bn 10th Marines by late 98.
1/7 here, and 3/7 for the last 6 months of my fourth year. 1/7 was slated for an Oki deployment that would have exceeded my EAS date.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Some people like belly bands. They can ride lower than a shoulder holster so you could get to the gun by lifting up your shirt instead of trying to reach through the collar. I don't know if that would seem as out of the way to you as a shoulder rig.

Others also like Smart Carry. It's very out of the way, and hopefully won't have as much of a "fidget factor" as your pocket.

Have you chosen a gun for carry yet? Some people like to pick the gun, then dress around it. Others decide on their style of dress and choose the gun accordingly. It's just a matter of preference.

Personally, I carry IWB on my right (strong) side. I still carry my son sometimes (he's 3). When I do, he goes on my left hip.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

No way in the hoosier heat can I wrap a belly band with a pistol in it around my gut. Hell I can barely stand a lightweight army tshirt in the summer. I bought a belly band once and ended up giving it away.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Some people like belly bands. They can ride lower than a shoulder holster so you could get to the gun by lifting up your shirt instead of trying to reach through the collar. I don't know if that would seem as out of the way to you as a shoulder rig.

Others also like Smart Carry. It's very out of the way, and hopefully won't have as much of a "fidget factor" as your pocket.

Have you chosen a gun for carry yet? Some people like to pick the gun, then dress around it. Others decide on their style of dress and choose the gun accordingly. It's just a matter of preference.

Personally, I carry IWB on my right (strong) side. I still carry my son sometimes (he's 3). When I do, he goes on my left hip.
Belly band might work. I'll have to do some research on them.

I own a CZ 82 right now. I've read that some consider it heavy for carry, but I don't mind the weight right now. I really like it, so I'm likely going to plan to carry it.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #19

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

I'd just carry a few different ways till you find what's right for you.

IMO, a shoulder rig wouldn't work, especially with a hoodie.

(I like them during cool weather, also.) Experiment, till you

find something with which you're comfortable.

I didn't carry with a round chambered, till I found a comfortable way to

CC. There's a lot of personal issues involved, and you'll have to work it

out for yourself.

But a CZ is a good start, they make great stuff.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Best part of Ccw are the options.